willg May 19th, 2017 12:13pm

Have you in your adult life ever turned a spotlight on your own core beliefs, questioned what you believed, and had a real change of heart about something you used to hold as certain? Feel free to discuss but no pressure.

Iamamerican California
05/19/17 7:57 pm

I was a democrat, then an independent, now I'm a republican....

willg basically Dulles Airport
05/19/17 8:04 pm

That sounds like a big journey with lots of turns, was there any specific catalyst?

Iamamerican California
05/19/17 8:04 pm

Bill Clinton

Lazlo63
05/19/17 5:58 am

I used to be a liberal democrat, then I became, how you say, "woke".

willg basically Dulles Airport
05/19/17 6:01 am

Regardless of party, did the feeling of being "woke" provide you some sense of gratification that you had objectively looked at what you believed and made thoughtful decisions to adjust your world view?

Kamden popular revolt
05/19/17 5:39 am

Yes, I've shared my story many times here on SoH. To put simply, I was very very liberal most of my life and the bubble of high school kept me that way (I could easily convince others too, I think that made me feel self assured). I graduated, spent a lot of time by myself reading and listening to more conservative amd Classically Liberal perspectives and I had a polarity switch. It didn't happen overnight. I consider myself a right-leaning Libertarian today, but hold little to no support for the U.S. Libertarian Party.

willg basically Dulles Airport
05/19/17 5:59 am

I think it's very interesting when you begin to shift ideas of political nature, especially since I feel like political parties do a bad job meeting all the needs of their constituents(honestly how could they in a predominantly two party system), but a shift in politics often shows a tilting of a scale right? Where you begin with small decisions to say hey where as before this part stood for 8/12 things I care the most for so I will vote in line with them, but slowly you start noticing well I kinda like this or that from another party, and maybe you shift your beliefs a bit and all the sudden you realize that the party you once voted for or believed in now only represents 3/12 or something like that and you start to look for that group that best fits you. There is a weird attachment to what you once were that takes some time to shake but eventually you adapt and come down somewhere else or on a fringe from what you used to be. Having done that myself I found it fascinating.

Kamden popular revolt
05/19/17 6:09 am

Very well said. Yes for the most part.
For example, the Dems supported same-sex marriage and I was/am wholly on board with that. (As an aside I believe the government shouldn't be involved in marriage at all). The Reps seemed to me to be viciously against it. Now it's a non-issue in congress. But then the Dems got ballsier, and some of their hardline constituents sought to impede on others rights. I didn't like it.
But some of it came down to just seeing what hasn't been working (like the welfare state). I actually learned about free-market principles instead of simply discounting them entirely. I forced myself to listen to the "other".
Like you said, the two-party system does not work for most of us.
I do not support either major party and I see the GOP and the Dems as being more alike than different, at least deep down inside.

MrsCrayonWax
05/19/17 5:25 am

I once had very black and white ideas about many things but the more I grew and matured, the more I saw that things aren't black and white. Changed my views entirely? No. I've just become more understanding as to why people make the choices they do.

willg basically Dulles Airport
05/19/17 5:41 am

I think that closely aligns with my own experiences. I have had specific issues where my thought process has shifted substantially. I have always tried to have empathy and respect for others, but the amount of that I extend has increased dramatically. Not every idea is a peach, but evaluating what others hold as true sharpens your perspective and understanding, and that growth is what I find to be crucial to humanity. I'm not saying at all that never changing beliefs is bad either, I just know the more time I spend listening to others earnestly, the better I understand my own mind and thoughts.

MrsCrayonWax
05/19/17 7:11 am

I agree very much. Often times, on this app, there are hard stances by some people with very little perspective on anyone outside their circle. I used to be like that. I understand but I think that when you don't travel outside of your circle, you lose a lot.