Shazam May 18th, 2017 12:01am

MAIN POLL INSPIRED: My Grandma used to always tell me "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." Was my Grandma pressuring me to be PC?

ozzy
05/22/17 4:44 pm

And you should listen to her

cpaswr just say the letters
05/18/17 4:16 pm

Did grandma teach you to play The Game too?

rons WOKE is sick
05/18/17 6:27 am

Guess you never listened to grandma.

Louderthebetter
05/17/17 10:53 pm

I was raised similarly, in the Midwest, good people. Seems a lot of what people deride as "politically correct" is often just basic human kindness and decency.

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
05/17/17 9:39 pm

50/50

Grandmothers are wonderful and usually right. They are also not know for extremism.

My treasured GMa would go PC just so far. She was comfortable with Lucille Ball the actress and not as an "ACTOR" , she did not tolerate the N word ever, and she had no mindset for Non BiGender people or their restroom needs.

catpillow Florida West Coast
05/17/17 9:37 pm

My grandma said the same thing, and I mostly still follow that advice. There's no reason to deliberately say things that are hurtful to other people. It's just being polite. I don't really make a distinction between PC and politeness, so I answered yes.

badattitude no place like home
05/17/17 9:19 pm

No, she was trying to tell you nicely to shut up.

Bev
05/17/17 8:23 pm

I'm an old southern woman and I do not think PC is what your grandma was teaching. Your comment below involved people saying "this may not be PC .. but.." and those statements may not be "nice" but it's someone's OPINION that was requested /asked for in a poll. That's a totally different thing than just running around spouting off ugly/mean statements in general. If Aunt Sally shows up at your home wearing an outrageous outfit then you should zip your mouth. If I post a poll and ask you "what do you think of my outfit?" Then you should answer me honestly in the kindest way possible :)

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
05/18/17 4:39 am

BEV - I wasn't speaking about polls specifically, just life in general. I have never heard a non-PC statement that wasn't hurtful, rude, mean, or derogatory. They're nearly always cruel generalities, and always pertain to a group that person doesn't belong to. Can you come up with an example that isn't?

Bev
05/18/17 6:17 am

Gotcha! My bad... I thought you were talking specifically about SOH.

suppressedID IMEACH BIDEN
05/17/17 7:51 pm

PC = Respect and courtesy.

So, YES!

shygal47 Florida east coast
05/17/17 7:26 pm

No. She was just teaching you manners. Something that went out of fashion years ago.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
05/17/17 8:01 pm

SHY - read my comment below. Do you agree with me?

pcisbs1 Baltimore to Central PA
05/17/17 7:13 pm

Their is a time and a place, I think that's probably what she meant

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
05/17/17 7:05 pm

Many many times I have said one cannot be kind, compassionate, and polite while being unPC. Every time I have heard the statement "this may not be politically correct to say but...." what follows is absolutely always douchiness directed against a group to which the person does belong. Absolutely always.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
05/17/17 8:19 pm

*doesn't belong.

Metamorphosis
05/17/17 5:40 pm

Somehow we have taken civility, politeness and respect and turned even this into a partisan issue.

azsageguy
05/17/17 5:29 pm

It's being respectful of others. Treat others with respect and you will be treated with respect. If not, screw 'em. 😁

Nik