Show Of Hands May 17th, 2017 9:29pm

Does your current (or most recent) employer allow employees to wear jeans?

Muffin2424 Utah
05/28/17 9:19 pm

We can pretty much wear whatever we want.

AmericanWolf For the Benefit of All
05/22/17 2:35 pm

The dress code was a polo and khakis. Basically, just dress nicely but not too formally.

Ferganam Behind You
05/20/17 10:58 am

On Fridays or other special occasions

IapetusAres
05/18/17 6:00 pm

I COULD, but sweats are easier and more comfortable.

Xemanis Lawful Good
05/18/17 4:21 pm

I'm in college with no job.

I chose yes because I could wear jeans, though I don't like them

willsamuel Alaska
05/18/17 12:06 pm

I've never had a job where I need to dress fancy and I hope to keep it that way

followingsea Illinois is
05/18/17 6:02 am

Retired wear what what suits me.

mfjd1948 rural johnson co iowa
05/18/17 4:28 am

No. All staff members of the department I worked in, must be in hospital scrubs.

ptellini Homosuperior
05/18/17 3:36 am

At the office, we used to have casual Fridays where we could wear jeans and a collared shirt. As of somewhat recently, we can do that throughout the week if we want to. I still choose to dress business casual every day.

loo Colorado
05/17/17 10:36 pm

I'm an art teacher, so I can wear jeans every day. But when I taught math (and the other teachers), can only wear them on Fridays.

patrioticparody Pale Blue Dot
05/17/17 8:17 pm

Sometimes boxers and a t-shirt

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/17/17 11:03 pm

What do you do that you can wear boxers? Do you work at home?

LadyBug237 Florida
05/17/17 8:03 pm

On Friday's.

lukecsa
05/17/17 7:30 pm

Well I work on a farm soooo😂

meb1 somewhere in MN
05/17/17 7:15 pm

I wear colored jeans some days, and blue jeans if I'm only there for a staff meeting. I am a part-time pastor and often visit people in their homes, hospitals, etc. Sundays are dress-up.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/17/17 11:02 pm

What denomination? Hubby is a pastor. Southern Baptist.

schoolmom1969 Nebraska
05/17/17 6:57 pm

I said no because it's only on Fridays and only if we pay money that is given to charity.

theNobamist Silicon Valley
05/17/17 10:34 pm

You have to pay money to wear jeans to work?

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/17/17 11:04 pm

I've heard of that policy.

schoolmom1969 Nebraska
05/18/17 4:09 am

TheNo...yes. I'm a teacher, and if we want to wear jeans on Friday's we have to donate to the charity of our administrator's choice. They say it's not "professional" attire. I understand, however my husband is a supervisor in a Fortune 500 company and he makes nearly twice as much money as I do, and he can wear jeans every day! Lol! Our last week is next week, and now they're trying to bribe us to donate a lot of money to an inclusive playground at one of our elementary locations by saying the district building that raises the most money can wear jeans for the whole last week of school. Due to the inability of wearing jeans regularly, and not having a pay scale that affords purchasing unnecessary clothing, I wouldn't have 5 pairs of jeans to wear. I have shorts, dress pants, sweat pants, and yoga pants....but only a couple pairs of jeans (and our building is brand new, and doesn't regulate temperature well yet...it's getting warm, I'd rather wear dressy capris! Lol)

theNobamist Silicon Valley
05/18/17 1:13 pm

Ah @schoolmom1969, now it makes some sense.
I had teachers back in the 1980s who wore jeans (non-union high school).

I'm sure there are jeans which don't look shabby, and might help the kids feel they can talk to you.

theNobamist Silicon Valley
05/18/17 1:13 pm

Me, I'm not comfortable in jeans. Too stiff. The jeans, that is 😆

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/18/17 1:15 pm

Nobamist, someone else said that about stiff jeans in this poll, and someone responded to them, saying they're buying the wrong kind.

The best pair of jeans fits like your own skin and is NOT stiff, imho. I live in jeans and jean shorts most of the time.

theNobamist Silicon Valley
05/17/17 6:40 pm

My boss wears jeans

UniversePlan Michigan
05/17/17 6:21 pm

This user is currently being ignored

jstahl Build that wall
05/17/17 5:44 pm

Yes, unless we have clients scheduled for a training class.

clipk0 Trump won, get over it.
05/17/17 5:34 pm

I'm self employed and I can wear whatever I feel like

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
05/17/17 5:34 pm

My last employer was a total jerk. He would love it if you showed up in your birthday suit. I worked in a gym. I wore a bathing suit at work.

rickvee Living the dream
05/17/17 5:34 pm

Nope. Fire resistant coveralls, full face respirator, hard hat, composite toe boots, Kevlar sleeves, leather gloves. That's what I wear at work.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
05/17/17 5:35 pm

Fire fighter or steel mill? My husband teaches foundry

runningman02 New York
05/17/17 5:20 pm

My only job was as a lifegaurd (im 16). So i dont think that would be a cery good idea

Gunfighter06 Iowa, since 1846
05/17/17 5:01 pm

Jeans? Hell, I can wear shorts every day (*unless we have an FAA inspection 😳)

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
05/17/17 5:00 pm

Of course my employees wore jeans, & we all had some flame retardant coveralls provided by our company, when in hazardous areas. As a superintendent, I could wear jeans in my Area office, but Dressed nicer for Division, & Corporate meetings.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
05/17/17 4:54 pm

Yes & when we are on summer dress code like we are right now, we can actually wear shorts. Officially we're supposed to keep it professional, but what some of the people wear...definitely not professional!

tsnyder88
05/17/17 4:54 pm

I work in a welding and ranch so it's more like I have to wear jeans to work

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
05/17/17 4:40 pm

Yep. Jeans or shorts tend to go best with the company t-shirt.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
05/17/17 4:36 pm

Sure. Jeans, shorts, tee shirts with logos, flip flops, and probably bathing suits are all allowed. Though flip flops are not a good idea if you are going to be in the metal shop especially if someone is going to be welding that day.

cpaswr just say the letters
05/17/17 4:32 pm

I could wear jeans to work every day if I wanted.

orgblu10 Shamerica
05/17/17 4:30 pm

You could dress up or down. Jeans, shorts, dress shirt and tie, whatever. What you wore was irrelevant.

DeathSheep Michigan
05/17/17 4:28 pm

I can now. I could wear shorts if I want to hit I elect not to invade I get called to the front to help.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
05/17/17 4:14 pm

On fridays, we can also pay for Wednesdays.

Liberty 4,032,064
05/17/17 4:07 pm

Not in the office, where we dress professionally.

sadewt Rexburg, Idaho
05/17/17 3:56 pm

of course, jeans were practically a must.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
05/17/17 3:44 pm

No, I must be dressed very well. I also hate jeans. Always so stiff and uncomfortable.

Amykl Temecula, CA
05/17/17 5:41 pm

You're buying the wrong jeans then! 😊

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
05/17/17 5:45 pm

I must be 😂 I prefer khakis I guess

ShawPPM1214 Washington
05/17/17 3:19 pm

Yup. I work with special needs kids all day. Sunday best doesn't fit the job.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/17/17 11:09 pm

Are you a teacher? I worked as a paraprofessional in special ed classrooms. What exceptionalities do you work with?

ShawPPM1214 Washington
05/19/17 6:16 pm

I'm a paraeducator. I don't know if I have it in me to someday be a teacher hahaha! I work with a lot of behavioral students. Very limited social skills. Many have been abused at home in the past! It's very sad.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/19/17 7:02 pm

Paraeducator? Is that the same as paraprofessional, which is just a euphemism for aide? Lol

Behavioral students? Do they still call that class EC (Emotionally Conflicted)? Hubby used to work in that class, and the students would pick up desks and throw them across the room! At one point, he had to take a kid down to the floor to get him under control.

The principal happened to open the door to the room, while she was giving a tour to some guests, to find my husband astraddle of this student who was probably twice hubby's size. Hubby thought he was gonna be in trouble, but she just said, "Oops, it would be better for us to come back later!" She quickly closed the door.

More...

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/19/17 7:02 pm

Part 2. He had one student that had witnessed his father kill his mother right in front of him. Such sad situations! The saddest to me, though, was a kid that had Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and wasn't even aware of people around him, couldn't talk, couldn't go to the bathroom at age 6, etc.

The teacher would toss t-shirts over the heads of all the kids during circle time. The kids then were to pull the shirts over their heads and put their arms in the sleeves as therapy. This kid just left the shirt over his face the entire circle time. I thought that was kind of cruel, but the teacher said that the object was to hope that some day he would pull it over his head.

ShawPPM1214 Washington
05/19/17 10:17 pm

Yeah paraeducator is basically a fancy word for aid lol. In my class we work with a lot of kids that have behavior issues, severe anxiety and other emotional issues. We teach them the basics of what kids learn in school, and we also teach them social skills. How to get along with people.

The kids can be pretty violent! I've been hit and beat on many times. Part of the training we doing is called CPI - Crisis Prevention Intervention (I'm pretty sure that's the official name). We learn how to see the warning signs for what triggers these outbursts. We also learn how to restrain kids, and we also learn the legal ways we can defend ourselves.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/19/17 10:22 pm

That sounds great! Is it a special school for special ed, or integrated into a school system?

Mine was at a special ed school, where kids from the entire county were bussed to this school. I worked in ECEH (Early Childhood Education for the Handicapped) which is preschoolers, aged 3-5. We had 3 classrooms of those kids.

They also had EC classes, EMH (Educable Mentally Handicapped) for Downs students, etc., and MH (Multi-Handicapped) classes for those that can't feed themselves, talk, etc. and are wheelchair bound. We had one kid in one of those classes that had been born perfectly fine, but who had a stroke playing baseball and was now MH.

ShawPPM1214 Washington
05/20/17 7:47 am

I'm at a elementary school just in my local district. All of the programs for special ed are worked into every school. Our main goal is to get the kids into their general education classes...I can't think of any other way to say it...but we try and teach them the skills so they can be taught alongside kids that don't have problems like they do. So far it's been a success! This past week, we've had 5 of our kids go to their gen education class. It was great!

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/20/17 7:04 pm

If I remember correctly, that's called mainstreaming kids.

I'm assuming you don't have any that are as severe as MH that can't do anything, then, do you? Some of the ones I'm talking about were almost in a vegetative state. Some could grunt, but most of them couldn't talk, feed themselves, or walk.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
05/17/17 3:18 pm

Not long before I retired (and partly why I retired) they imposed a dress code using the undefined term "business casual" for four out of the five shifts each week, which in some facilities meant jeans were still OK, but in ours, no. The moronitude lasted less than a year, before they went back to a more rational rule, but by then I had retired. For all but that few months of my career I wore jeans, as did everyone of us who didn't wear shorts instead; for those few months I wore Dickies brand work pants and matching shirts, gas station attendant uniform style.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/17/17 11:10 pm

You retired because of a dress code?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
05/17/17 11:20 pm

I retired because I was eligible, and was therefore working for less than half pay. I would have reached mandatory retirement age in about four years anyway, and the increase in my retirement pay would only have been about $100/month per each of those extra years. The change from being comfortable in clothing appropriate for the job to a dress code appropriate for no one was enough to make the decision to leave easier, but wasn't the main reason.

presrvd Phoenix
05/17/17 3:10 pm

Nope. Jeans aren't listed under AR670-1...

cowboy Here and There
05/17/17 3:02 pm

Lol. It's all we wear for pants.

moldypipes9
05/17/17 2:55 pm

The fabric which covers your as$ has no bearing on your ability to perform your job duties.