4JC May 16th, 2017 8:26pm

Saw on FB: Mom at ER--Fidget spinners are the current craze, but not all spinners come with age-appropriate warnings. The bushings pop out easily, so if you have young kids (under 8 yr old) keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/18/17 9:28 am

I had never heard of it until someone here did a poll, asking if we had one. It's apparently a device that was developed to help ADHD kids focus, but now has become a toy that a LOT of kids are playing with, taking to school, etc. I hear that the toy that was supposed to be to help kids focus is actually becoming quite a distraction in classrooms! Lol

shygal47 Florida east coast
05/16/17 7:30 pm

I don't have children, however, these spinners we're developed as therapy devices for children with ADD/ADHD to help them learn to focus physical activity. They were never intended to be toys.
But somebody saw a gimmick and $ to be made - without thinking if a medical device *should* be transformed into a toy.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/16/17 9:02 pm

I didn't realize that! I had never heard of them until someone posted a poll about them about a week ago. How, exactly, are they supposed to help them learn to focus?

singkitty In the cloud
05/16/17 2:27 pm

I just got a spinner today. It's extremely heavy and made from brass. Definitely not a child's toy.

ProudAmerican45 North Joisey
05/16/17 2:14 pm

They are such a distraction at my school that the principal said the kids can only play with them at recess..my class is special education and the kids are allowed to use them..the ones that use them it works for..

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/16/17 4:26 pm

Your school might want to reconsider that, as they are a choking hazard and could set you up for a lawsuit.

This woman said they had to do x-rays, and the bearings were stuck in her child's esophagus. They're having to do surgery to get it out!

I don't even know what they are. Had never heard of them before someone posted a poll about them the other day. What do they do?

ProudAmerican45 North Joisey
05/16/17 4:34 pm

They help kids that have legitimate focusing issues..but for the average kid they are a distraction..the kid holds it in their hand and they spin it..they can balance it on their finger while it spins..some have blinking lights in them that go on when it spins..which is even more distracting..I use all kinds of tools and techniques in the classroom..I don't need these spinners..but the parents buy them so it's a thing..

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/16/17 7:10 pm

Thanks for the explanation! I was a paraprofessional for ECEH (Early Childhood Education for the Handicapped) back in the late 80's. I worked at a center that bussed special ed kids from all over the county and it was a school just for those students.

What exceptionalities do you have in your classroom? I worked with kids with spina bifida, autism, hydrocephaly, CP, Downs, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, MS, MD, and tube fed.

Hubby worked with EC and MH kids.

If you don't know some of those acronyms, let me know. I don't want to insult your intelligence by thinking you wouldn't know them, but some of them might have changed since then. Lol

Jazzy5 USA
05/16/17 1:31 pm

I saw that, haven't seen it here, just yet!

4JC Christian Pastors Wife