voc May 16th, 2017 3:39am

Inspired by a conversation I'm having on SOH: Do you think Trump could have been elected as a conservative in the 1950's, 60's, 70's, 80's or 90's?

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/18/17 2:32 am

He 35 in 1981. He not able run 1950s, 1960s, 1970's.

suppressedID the glory of Yo Semite
05/16/17 12:53 pm

Nope. This era has just the right amount of lunacy.

abusara i drink and i know things
05/16/17 3:59 am

He was a democrat for most of those decade. Just saying'

voc I am...what I am
05/16/17 8:15 am

Huh. That's pretty interesting. Thanks mramerica!

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/16/17 2:15 pm

Voc, you might also be interested in this video. I'm pretty sure he speaks about being a Republican a while back. This video was a real eye opener for me, as I wasn't originally in favor of Trump. I voted for Cruz in the primary.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=mxf1XmVZ9qY

Mackinaw Wolverine State, est.1837
05/15/17 11:18 pm

Considering he's not really a conservative, no.

voc I am...what I am
05/16/17 4:12 am

There are a lot of people who would disagree. I'm not one of those people, but there are a lot.

Pinkaliscious Peace Out
05/15/17 10:16 pm

What lead to Trump is a combination of economics and establishment politics. He is the culmination of a total shit storm. People who voted for him are either really pissed and this is the ultimate fuck you or were so against Hillary and the DNC he was the only option. Purging voter rolls, gerrymandering and Russia made sure they got a Republican candidate. Republican Trump is not. He is just a populist. He wants to campaign. He wants photo ops signing Executive Orders. He wants to golf.

Domino3 Abolish the ATF
05/15/17 9:03 pm

Possibly, policy wise I suppose so, not so much his speaking ability...

voc I am...what I am
05/15/17 8:41 pm

I don't think trump is a conservative at all. I don't think the conservatives of those times would have fallen for his antics.

voc I am...what I am
05/15/17 8:49 pm

An opportunist.

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
05/15/17 8:59 pm

He is an opportunist, but back then, they wouldn't have seen most of his antics because the Internet and the 24 hour news cycle did not exist.
I think those things do more harm than good for him, although he and his supporters might disagree, and so I think he would have thrived even more.

voc I am...what I am
05/16/17 4:07 am

That's an interesting perspective.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/16/17 2:19 pm

Back then, he was also more even keeled. Voc, I pasted this video above in another thread in this poll, so if you've already watched that one, don't bother! Lol

Check out the difference in his manner, and the difference in how all the reporters treated him, compared to now:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=mxf1XmVZ9qY

voc I am...what I am
05/16/17 6:19 pm

I started watching it and got caught up in something else. I do understand he changed over the years. I use to like him, before he started campaigning. I'm actually wondering if something may be wrong with him the way he says something then says he never said it and things like that.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/16/17 8:23 pm

I try to wrack stuff like that up to the fact that he's been on a VERY steep learning curve for the last 2 years. Can you imagine having to learn everything about being the President when you had never even been a mayor or even a lawyer, in a 2 year time period? Blows my mind to even think about it! Lol

voc I am...what I am
05/15/17 8:39 pm

For iPad users:

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/15/17 9:09 pm

Glad to see our convo inspired a poll! Lol I voted no.

voc I am...what I am
05/16/17 4:05 am

Me too! That's one of my favorite things about this app