Show Of Hands May 15th, 2017 8:42pm

The Supreme Court effectively killed North Carolina's voter ID law today after a lower court found that the increased voting restrictions of the law disparately impacted black voters. Good ruling?

charlie259 Arizona
05/23/17 9:35 pm

It's a confusing case. The law mandates that race must be considered when drawing lines, but now the Court has said too much race is bad but gives no guidelines.

drself Gated Community
05/17/17 4:13 pm

What is the big deal? I bet they have an ID to get their EBT cards.

BIGBOYUSA
05/17/17 3:10 pm

There is no reason against voter ID. Black people and Mexican people can get IDs just as well as any other race. It's ridiculous that the left argues this stupid point. There was a random survey that was asked of pedestrians walking on the streets and all of them said they have an ID and has the ability to go to the DMV.

roberbaran
05/17/17 5:27 pm

A woman in Milwaukee showed up with three form of ID and was refused the right to vote.

05/22/17 1:03 pm

Bigboy that's a pretty bad test since where you are will influence your ability to have an ID and be able to get to the DMV easily like was this test done in a major city? Near a college campus? In bumfuck nowhere Nebraska?

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
05/17/17 11:47 am

Nobody mentioned the shutins. The ones who can be poor, don't have access to a computer, no phone and don't drive (My aunt before she died. My uncle left her penniless) I don't drive, and I'm about to let mine expire since I'm practically one, but never mind that. It's a pain to go through all that garbage to GET a I'D. A Social security card, paper with your address on it (depending on need) proof of Income

grondini Mainer in NC
05/17/17 11:22 am

Here's a simple solution..... everyone without a valid ID (regardless of race, because that is inconsequential), can get a FREE ID (after proving citizenship, which every American has to do, regardless of color), and FREE transportation to get that ID and to the polls. Problem solved. Add help to obtain citizenship documents (i.e. Social security card from 1940, etc).
See, no discrimination here. Provide proof of citizenship, you can vote.

05/22/17 1:05 pm

Kgro okay so do you want to pay for it? I think it's a good idea and would be happy to, the problem is that giving poor people free things tends to run republicans the wrong way.

rebelfury76 F Trump, F his idiot cult
05/17/17 7:37 am

Yet no one cares that those same black folks face LARGER barriers to their second amendment rights than this was.

But again no one cares about that.

otisfuzz Georgia
05/16/17 3:17 pm

It's not the ID's that are the problem, it's everything else in the law that falls under voter suppression. This is what a lot of republican states have been doing. Limiting access to voters by limiting their voting options.

nacho
05/17/17 7:32 am

I wonder why the left does not protest the state of NY.

No early voting there so obviously the whole state is racist and trying to suppress the vote.

Oh yeah -NY is run by Dems.

Oops - never mind.

a7xgunslingerz Tennessee
05/16/17 3:06 pm

Nothing about that law targeted black people. They just pulled the race card and everyone bought into it.

45454545
05/16/17 3:36 pm

I agree. Is anything ever evaluated on merit, or is debilitation by race the standard of objective evaluation. The requirements for playing in the NBA are extremely prejudicial against me and other shorter white men, so the NBA should be abolished.

Blakelington Earth
05/17/17 7:20 am

Not too difficult to look up the statistics on this, which clearly point out a relationship with race. www.aclu.org/other/oppose-voter-id-legislation-fact-sheet

Obvious101 MO
05/17/17 9:28 am

A7...: You & the court really disagree on this. Maybe you should show your law degree before weighing in so strongly. The court was emphatic that the law was discriminatory & more, was intended to be discriminatory... on purpose with malice.

lmkeller
05/20/17 3:08 pm

Do you know the terms causation and correlation? I truly can't believe you do.

45454545
05/16/17 2:18 pm

So the court has ruled that blacks are differently affected by identification requirements. That's racist. If a black needed Identification for car insurance or for say food stamps, etc, would the Court agree that they were largely unable to comply

timeout Boston Strong
05/16/17 12:51 pm

"We need to be making it easier to vote, not harder — and the court found this law sought to discriminate against African-American voters with 'surgical precision.' I will continue to work to protect the right of every legal, registered North Carolinian to participate in our democratic process."
Governor Roy Cooper

lmkeller
05/20/17 3:10 pm

Why would we be making it easier to vote? Do you know how big a problem voter fraud is?

anarchy GET OFF MY LAWN
05/16/17 8:48 am

Democrats - if it's "racist" to make somebody show an ID to vote (because it's a Constitutionally protected right), then it's RACIST to make people show an ID to buy a gun (because it is also a Constitutionally protected right). You can't have it both ways. So stop being a bunch of racists (like you were when you were slave owners) and oppressing black people with your bigoted firearms laws. Shame on you.

05/16/17 9:16 am

A vote is not a lethal weapon and I'm going to say this plain and clear no matter what your opinion is on the firearms debate anyone who opposes background checks in their entirety is an idiot

scrpnHOG Arizona
05/16/17 9:41 am

A vote can change the economy and your rights. A vote can be far more lethal than a gun.
The most lethal weapon on a battlefield isn't a Gun, it's a Radio.

anarchy GET OFF MY LAWN
05/16/17 9:49 am

How can you say that Koro?!?! Good grief. You're such a blind racist it turns my stomach. I have a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to purchase a firearm, and according to you (literally up and down this entire comment section), requiring ID in order for somebody to exercise a Constitutionally guaranteed right is racist. I'm not calling you a racist here. You're doing that to yourself. You can say I'm and "idiot" all you like. You're the one saying ID is racist. Not me. Essentially, you're calling yourself the "idiot"...unless of course you're willing to admit you have no ideological or intellectual integrity, in which case we can call it a day.

Furthermore, a gun is not a "lethal weapon" - it is a tool that has the capacity to be used as a lethal weapon in the same way a truck, an axe, a pipe wrench or a vote is.

Henry123 Connecticut
05/16/17 11:49 am

Voting isn't even a constitutional right... the constitution outline the reasons for which people can't be excluded from the voting process but no where in it does it say you have a right to vote

anarchy GET OFF MY LAWN
05/16/17 11:55 am

Not to mention the entire US Constitution establishes a Constitutional Representative Republic which could not possibly exist at all without voting

Henry123 Connecticut
05/16/17 7:02 pm

I've read that link before, it's just saying that because voting is mentioned you have a right to vote. Except no where does it actually say you have a right to vote. It just describes the reasons you can't be excluded from voting

anarchy GET OFF MY LAWN
05/16/17 7:18 pm

Amendment XV, Section 1. "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude."

Read that again: "THE RIGHT of citizens of the United States to vote......."

There's really not much of an argument here. You're trying to make it one, but it's pretty clear.

Henry123 Connecticut
05/17/17 11:40 am

It doesn't say you have the right to vote... repeating myself here for the third time: it explains the reasons you can't deny someone the ability to vote

akrealist a log cabin in the woods
05/16/17 8:29 am

Who and where exactly are all of these examples of prospective eligible American voters who wished to vote, and yet, due to extreme poverty (not lack of will, or disinterest) are unable to get a state ID in the minimally year-long wait between elections? No fair counting folks who are "against" carrying ID, or folks who have access to assistance to help them get an ID free of charge...

I'll wait.

nacho
05/16/17 10:02 am

The same number of people that will "die" if Obamacare is repealed.

The left never uses numbers they use "potential scenarios" as fact based arguments. When asked for examples they trot out easily fixable situations as emblematic of the overall chaos.
Ask about voter fraud (well documented and real) and the answer is ''statistically isignificant".
However, their few, extremely limited examples of any negative causation is automatically categorized as an important due to the extremely accurate identifying sample.

Brrrrrrrrr
05/16/17 8:21 am

If someone can't even figure out how to register, it's probably not a good idea to let them vote in the first place.

cody33
05/16/17 8:14 am

If I was black and living in South Carolina I would be offended. It is so easy to get an ID. That is what you need to vote. Don't people realize how racist that is??? Liberals say that blacks are less likely to be able to acquire an ID. They're basically saying blacks are too stupid and lazy to get an ID. That is ridiculous and racist as hell.

sb129 Clayton, Ohio
05/16/17 7:25 am

Must have ID to vote, it's just common sense people!

mfjd1948 rural johnson co iowa
05/16/17 6:29 am

When will the conservative, republicans, libertarians realize that any attempt to restrict voting in the guise of preventing nonexistent voter fraud, is really just an attempt to disenfranchised the poor, homeless, disabled, and elderly?

05/16/17 7:13 am

When will liberals realize the liberal democracies they idolize in europe all have voter ID laws and all have nigher voter turnout?

Nemacyst No Lives Matter
05/16/17 5:09 am

This user is currently being ignored

Nos4at2 demented weirdo
05/16/17 4:07 am

The confusion stems from which of the many fake IDs can someone use to vote multiple times.

otto Olean, NY
05/16/17 12:11 am

Said no, but perhaps I could be convinced otherwise. I have not read details, so I would need to see what logic or examples they cited for the decision. I cannot think of anywhere in United States where it is easier for a white person to obtain an ID than it is for a black person. And if it is, why would that be?

05/16/17 4:34 am

In essence the problem isn't really race it's income. Certain voter ID restrictions make it more difficult to go and actually get an ID because they generally are at work for the entire time that they would be able to go and get an ID.

05/16/17 7:15 am

How did they get a job without ID?

otto Olean, NY
05/16/17 11:38 pm

Like Corino asks, "how did they get a job without an ID?"

otto Olean, NY
05/16/17 11:40 pm

Also, why make it a race issue if it is a poverty issue? Sounds a lot to me like changing "global warming" to "climate change" when it becomes apparent the BS argument of warming is shown to be bogus.

PB246 California
05/15/17 11:44 pm

Things I am asked to show ID for just today:
Buy alcohol
Use credit card
Use debit card after already inserting the chip (after I tried to swipe and failed to see the new chip reader sign) and entering my pin-- omg it's a $30 purchase wow!
Pick up my kid from daycare (even though they know me)
Other times I am asked to show ID:
Buying/renting property
Renting pretty much anything
Gambling
Paying the government taxes (I owed on my taxes and to give them money I had to enter my driver's license number, expiration date, date I got my ID, and address)
Enroll a kid in school
See an R rated movie (this happened to my 36 year old friend this weekend!)
Buy tobacco products
And many more things... but I'm running out of room

Also-- while it's not showing ID, I have to prove I'm not a robot for online purchases. I don't even have to do that to vote... 😂

We should show ID when we vote-- we're creatures of habit aren't we? 🤔

05/16/17 5:28 am

The problem is absolutely none of those things you listed are rights guaranteed by the constitution

anarchy GET OFF MY LAWN
05/16/17 6:32 am

1) I'd argue "buying property" is protected in a number of ways throughout the Constitution.
2) Is it your contention that I should no longer have to show ID (and therefore forfeit a background check) to purchase a firearm?

05/16/17 7:18 am

I would argue that the right to property is outlined in the declaration of Independence and protecting it is part of the legl case for our break ith England years before the Constitution was even written.

But if you want to be a stickler yes the right to due process before your property is searched or siezed is totally in the Constitution.

And seriously what's so wrong about robots buying stuff online?

BigPhatPastor Jefferson Hills, PA
05/16/17 8:41 am

@Korosensei what right does requiring ID violate? Just curious.

05/16/17 9:14 am

It poses unreasonable limitations upon the working poor who are in general unable to afford to purchase an ID and unable to take the day off to go get one

anarchy GET OFF MY LAWN
05/16/17 9:41 am

So you agree that it's racist for me to be ID'd and background checked to purchase a firearm. Glad we're on the same page.

05/16/17 9:58 am

How did the working poor get an ID in to get a job in the first place!?

BigPhatPastor Jefferson Hills, PA
05/16/17 10:05 am

@Korosensei it seems more racist for one to assume that a poor black person cannot get an ID although most jobs require an ID. Has anyone actually asked the poor black people? Wouldn't it also be racist, by this thinking, to require poor black people to have a drivers license in order to buy or drive a car?

BigPhatPastor Jefferson Hills, PA
05/16/17 10:06 am

@Korosensei also that still doesn't explain what "right" is being violated.

CudOfCow Oregon
05/15/17 11:37 pm

Im confused about this poll....as of right now there are 1700 votes but the black demographic isnt listed?

CudOfCow Oregon
05/15/17 11:38 pm

Out of 1700 people...not one of you are black?

BigPhatPastor Jefferson Hills, PA
05/16/17 10:10 am

No one asked all the poor black folks what they thought.

IEatzCookies Look at my pfp
05/15/17 9:58 pm

Oh for fucks sake. The Democrats are the real racists. Black people can get ID if they want, stop treating them like they're retarded or something.

kanji401 SoCal
05/15/17 10:17 pm

The Democrats agreed with the decision of the Supreme Court which is made up of mostly Republicans. Not everything is a partisan issue.

RNJen Bay Area USA
05/15/17 10:25 pm

I am dem- I agree with needing an ID. Nothing wrong with that.

05/16/17 5:29 am

Cookies it's not that black people cant get ID's it's that poor people can't and a disproportionate amount of the poor population in America is black

05/16/17 7:14 am

Black people are actually more likely to have and carry IDs.

ConservativeCA Joe Biden is barely alive
05/15/17 9:51 pm

What? Black people can get an ID just as easily as anyone else...

05/16/17 5:30 am

But poor people cannot and the poor population is disproportionately black

ConservativeCA Joe Biden is barely alive
05/16/17 10:13 am

Why not? It hardly costs anything to apply for a driver license, and I they have other types of ID cards they can get.

RNJen Bay Area USA
05/15/17 9:43 pm

Hmmm get an ID? There problem solved? Why is it harder for one race than the other? If you are legal, it isn't that difficult.

RNJen Bay Area USA
05/15/17 9:53 pm

And yes, if you are that poor that you are incapable of paying the 25 dollars for a state issued ID, you can go to a shelter or in my state, dial 211 and get connected with every assistance program that is available for you. They will pay for it. If you are disabled and incapable of dialing the phone, there are programs for that as well. You can get a social worker and she will do it all for you. It is complete nonsense to say that you cannot get an ID because of your race

NYG44 Upstate NY
05/15/17 10:10 pm

Did you just assume the social worker's gender?

dftdddsf
05/15/17 10:10 pm

Yeah just take a whole day off work to do it too. Dick.

RNJen Bay Area USA
05/15/17 10:17 pm

Yes, yes I did. lol I must be some kind of complete asshole or something

RNJen Bay Area USA
05/15/17 10:21 pm

Dftdd... of you are working than you have to have an ID. It's the law

theNobamist Silicon Valley
05/15/17 11:16 pm

Right on, @RNJen

05/16/17 5:31 am

RNjen many forms of ID that are considered acceptable for work are not for voting (also I have never had to show an ID to get a job in my life)

MrsCrayonWax Katies Purpose
05/16/17 6:22 am

Koro, if you filled out an I9 you would have had to show id. That's a standard form along with tax forms. I'm not disagreeing with your main points.

anarchy GET OFF MY LAWN
05/16/17 8:40 am

@NYG44 - I just lol'ed at that. That comment was so unappreciated in this thread it should be a crime

05/16/17 9:12 am

I don't believe I've ever filled out an I9. I should point out I've only ever had entry level minimum wage jobs.

MrsCrayonWax Katies Purpose
05/16/17 9:27 am

Are you sure because it's a requirement. Unless your employer isn't checking id or isn't in compliance with the law; or you may fall into one of the other categories.

www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/complete-correct-form-i-9/who-needs-form-i-9

RNJen Bay Area USA
05/16/17 11:36 am

Koro, every single job... that is in compliance with the law, requires identification. This is so that the government can properly tax your income. Besides all of that, you would be in the less than 0.0001% for this to be an actual argument for .... wait for it..... "black people are incapable of getting an ID for themselves so it is racist to require them to".

sentiment Texas
05/15/17 8:52 pm

So instead of fixing the voter ID issue, they want to take the easy way out, by killing the law.

No lesson to be learnt here kids!

sfcren Wyoming
05/15/17 8:50 pm

Very tired of this argument.

If you really want to vote, there are several groups that will help you vote, if your to damn last to either get the ID and comply with the laws, or contact a group to help you with that then you shouldn't vote.

05/16/17 5:33 am

Sfcren most of the people being affected are not, as you say, too damn lazy, instead they simply have jobs with hours that make it difficult to impossible to get an ID without taking a whole day off and thus losing a whole days income

sfcren Wyoming
05/16/17 9:18 am

That's frankly BS, most places you can register online, and again if you want to vote you will find a way. I voted while I was in Afghanistan. I have worked nights for 8 years up to 60 hours a week. There are programs that will literally pick you up to go vote or register. It is BS excuse period,of it really means that much to you, you will find a way to get it done.

BigPhatPastor Jefferson Hills, PA
05/16/17 10:27 am

@Korosensei the they're to busy working to get an ID argument isn't valid. Most working people, poor or otherwise, would take the time and make the time to get an ID if it were required just as they make or take the time to get a drivers license, even if they don't own a car, or to go pay a utility bill. Some state ID places have extended and weekend hours.

princess27 Trump Card
05/15/17 8:38 pm

Wondering when people will stop playing the victim card....

Get a dang ID. You should have an ID to vote in this country. That's not discrimination! It's common sense!! 🙄

DounutHole
05/15/17 8:46 pm

So glad you agree with the Supreme Court!

princess27 Trump Card
05/15/17 8:50 pm

Not sure how'd you get to that conclusion. I hear and see minority's playing the victim card. Can't obtain an ID blah blah. It's 2017.

DounutHole
05/15/17 8:53 pm

Really doesn't matter what you think, the Supreme Court has made a ruling.

princess27 Trump Card
05/15/17 9:01 pm

Oh no. Ouch. You told me!

Louderthebetter
05/15/17 10:02 pm

I agree with donut hole!

akrealist a log cabin in the woods
05/15/17 10:07 pm

Well no, the SC didn't produce a ruling. They chose not to hear the appeal from the lower court.

dryanmorr
05/15/17 8:15 pm

Who the hell doesn't have an ID?! Really.

05/15/17 8:38 pm

Illegals. Democrats want illegals to vote.

DounutHole
05/15/17 8:46 pm

No they don't Cow!

05/15/17 8:48 pm

Yes you do.

DounutHole
05/15/17 8:52 pm

Disregard the man behind The curtain, for all I am the powerful OZ😉

05/16/17 5:35 am

Dryan poor people who can't take an entire day off work just to get an ID and cowboy as a democrat I will state this I do not want illegal immigrants to vote and none of my democrat friends do either

05/16/17 5:42 am

Well that's obviously a lie. A US citizen getting a valid ID is no hassle at all. Especially when it comes to voting.

05/16/17 7:21 am

How did poor people get a job without ID!?

05/16/17 7:35 am

Obviously you don't know any poor people. If the law would have said " here is an Id free or picked up the person and registered them no problem . But a passport cost 75 bucks , no car no license , etc

05/16/17 8:02 am

I live among the poor. They have no problem affording drugs, alcohol and cigarettes.

05/16/17 8:57 am

Don't totally disagree except the use or implication that ALL are worthless slugs is what authoritarians do to blame unlike people that they cause all societies problems

05/16/17 9:00 am

As opposed to your thinking that all black people are too ignorant to find the DMV and can't afford a State ID?

05/16/17 9:11 am

Cowboy if you're working two jobs to make ends meet do you really think you can afford to take time off to go to the DMV?

05/16/17 9:20 am

Yep. I've done it.

05/16/17 9:30 am

The reason the court rejected this plot is the republicans drew lines on a map around black people knowing they they didn't have two nickels . It used to be called a poll tax but Supreme Court saw through that plot too.

05/16/17 9:32 am

It's a shame you guys have such a negative view of black people. They're not all ignorant and lazy.

05/16/17 6:14 pm

It was a Black senator that first came up with voter ID laws to stop KKK ballot stuffing and protect black people's right to vote.

05/16/17 6:22 pm

Corino that's wonderful but it has nothing to do with the modern system and cowboy just out of curiosity how close is your nearest DMV and do you own a vehicle to get to it?

05/16/17 6:24 pm

Lol. You think those ignorant Black people can't figure it out, huh? What a racist.

05/16/17 8:01 pm

Cowboy answer the question or stop posturing

05/16/17 11:07 pm

Stop thinking that blacks are ignorant and lazy.

05/17/17 1:12 pm

If you are working 2 jobs and don't have time to go to the DMV unless you live in the middle of a large city (where you can't afford housing either) like New York or San Francisco you don't have a driver's license and you can't get to your two jobs.

IDs are important for so many things that people do daily, much more often than showing up at the polls on an annual basis, that people make time to get IDs. If you don't have an ID not voting is the least of your problems, you can't participate in the modern economy. The first thing people do to try and help the homeless is get them IDs.

05/19/17 8:35 am

Didn't say that , the point is republicans want to prevent them from voting by any means possible

05/19/17 8:36 am

Oh bullshit. What absolute nonsense.

05/19/17 1:59 pm

If Repubublicans wanted to prevent voters from coming to the polls asking them to produce the same documentation they use whenever they buy beer is hardly "by any mean necessary". In the face of such hyperbolic emotional pleas to proof by assertion I feel a need to make the counter claim:

Democrats routinely vote against common sense measures to prevent Russian ballot stuffing!

05/19/17 8:12 pm

There isn't a voter fraud problem never has been. Manufactured problem by republicans to reduce the amount of people who would vote democratic . The Supreme Court has seen through their plots of gerrymandered districts requiring Id not available to thousands, cutting out voting on weekends , removing mail ballots, early voting etc that all affect people of lesser means

05/20/17 5:31 am

Yes there is. That's why you racists and Communists hate voter ID laws. You want illegals to vote. Just admit it already so we can move on.

05/20/17 6:58 am

You don't have the data to claim there isn't a voter fraud problem because there is no verification of who voted.

There were several studies last election that found more votes in districts than actual registered voters. While that doesn't provide you with someone to prosecute it is evidence of possible fraud. And NPR as on so many subjects conveniently forgot they reported on it. In small districts voter fraud can have additional impact.

But the worst thing here is that the ability to easily commit voter fraud exists and confidence in the electoral system depends on us being proactive. The democrats cannot continue to claim simultaneously that Russia meddled in our elections and that voter fraud is a figment of a racist republican imagination. All Russian operatives have to do is show up and start stuffing ballots and no one asks for ID.

05/20/17 7:08 am

Utah has had voter ID laws for ages. They recently made changes to vote by mail. Last election I received a ballot in a locked box to peruse and return at my liesure. I voted with ID, and voter turnout skyrocketed.

The idea that requiring ID is a burden on voting or that it reduces voter turnout is a falicy. When there is more confidence in the electoral system more people vote. Liberal Democracies that democrats idolize ALL have voter ID laws. We are the only country in the world who doesn't. And their voter turnout is better for it.

Democrats oposition to voter ID laws trivializes the value of the vote.

05/22/17 12:39 pm

Nope Supreme Court looked NC bogus attempt and said it had been done to surgically remove poor people from being able to vote . If the state would pass out free ID cards then you have a slight argument for

05/22/17 12:45 pm

I have lived in several states and all have pre registration requirements - so fraud may happen in 99.9 % but not to Goofy Dons undocumented allegation of 3 million illegals wanting to expose themselves by registering to vote in a US election . Extremely ludicrous allegation by the lying president . Now he is wasting more tax payers money by ordering Troll Sessions to investigate. What a joke

05/22/17 12:47 pm

Well the Supreme Court agrees with me and they are a lot more informed than you will ever be.

05/22/17 2:04 pm

Only 3 million unregistered foreigners out of an estimated 30 million voted? Trump was way off. What a dolt.

05/22/17 6:19 pm

Are you saying 30 million illegal people voted? If so you are a proven troll not to be wasted time on

05/22/17 6:20 pm

I'm saying that out of 30 million people the President thinks only 3 million voted. That's really low balling it.

05/22/17 6:24 pm

Don't be a troll it's not funny or interesting - just gets your tiny penis hard

05/22/17 6:27 pm

Out of 30 million people you think 0 voted? Is that what you're claiming?

05/16/17 7:32 am

I am sure racist s don't agree no news there

05/22/17 6:20 pm

Now Supreme Court slaps NC again for gerrymandering it districts totally bordered by non whites.

05/15/17 6:26 pm

Absolutely those crackers got put down to their evil plot to deny voting to a large group of fellow Americans.

nacho
05/15/17 8:39 pm

How big is a "large group"?

Any reliable statistics that show "large numbers" of eligible voters have been turned away soley due to a lack of identification.

Is the number greater or less than the "statistically insignificant" cases of voter fraud?

05/16/17 3:05 pm

600000 in texas for example with the same attempt to stop poor people from voting

kjs Minnesota
05/15/17 5:48 pm

Everybody needs to show proof to vote. Doesn't matter what color you are.

TrippyCornflake New Jersey
05/15/17 5:48 pm

Watch the Left claim racism, then say that Blacks don't have the knowledge to get IDs.

Greenie Social Democrat
05/15/17 5:50 pm

It's a fact that voter ID laws disproportionately affect minority & poor communities.

ronderman North Carolina
05/15/17 6:15 pm

It's a fact that blacks aren't able to get IDs? Then that's the problem that needs to get fixed. Otherwise, outlaw everything that requires an ID. Because if blacks can't get IDs then everything that requires an ID keeps blacks from participating is racist and should be outlawed.

scrpnHOG Arizona
05/15/17 6:19 pm

So there's a huge group of minority's that live off the grid that don't collect any government assistance, don't drive or take any prescription medications.

Greenie Social Democrat
05/15/17 6:35 pm

Its called being really fucking poor

scrpnHOG Arizona
05/15/17 6:42 pm

Wow that poor! You'd think they'd get some government assistance but unfortunately you need an ID for that too. Think politicians would address that issue over voter ID, so that the "fucking poor" can get government assistance too.

MrWalrus Undergrid
05/15/17 8:00 pm

Greenie , in my state you have to have an ID to get welfare and if you can't afford an ID they will give you one.

05/15/17 8:13 pm

It would benefit poor minorities to get IDs and access to banking services, and housing, and all those other things minorities need.

TheSpookyGhost paleoconservative
05/15/17 5:40 pm

If you need IDs to fill out your tax forms, then you need IDs to vote.

05/15/17 6:01 pm

Maybe they don't fill out tax forms, Spooky! JS

DounutHole
05/15/17 8:47 pm

Or release their taxes

05/16/17 7:23 am

I call BS! Our country offers earned income tax credits. Poor people are higly incentivized to fill out their tax returns because they're going to get more back than they ever paid.

05/16/17 3:25 pm

Who are you commenting to, Corino? I hae DH on ignore, so I'm not sure.

TheSpookyGhost paleoconservative
05/16/17 6:00 pm

He's definitely not responding to DonutHole. DH just made a snarky comment about the President's tax returns.

05/16/17 8:08 pm

Thanks, Spooky. Seems like that is all DH is capable of. I put him on ignore yesterday when he called me trailer trash because of my conservative beliefs.

wolfsong Full time animal lover
05/15/17 5:38 pm

Isn't that inherently racist? Saying black people are less likely to get an ID?

chancesmi D.C.
05/15/17 6:01 pm

No, because it isn't that they are less LIKELY, it's that they are less ABLE.

nate19 WI
05/15/17 7:18 pm

How. Just wondering why a black person can't go to the dmv, hand them $15, get their picture taken, and have their new ID sent to them in the mail just like any other race.

05/15/17 8:14 pm

"less able"? Sounds racist.

princess27 Trump Card
05/15/17 8:39 pm

Less able 🙄 really? What year is it?! Stop playing the victim card.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
05/15/17 5:36 pm

Can anybody explain how any of these rulings target any particular voter group?
I just don't see it since those rules are categorically applying to everyone.

Greenie Social Democrat
05/15/17 5:54 pm

The same reason that the poll tax, literacy tests, and other Jim Crow era voting laws affected minority communities. African Americans tend to be disadvantaged in ways that make it more difficult to overcome the hurdles put in place to get to the voting booth.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
05/15/17 6:02 pm

You could also however claim killing the ruling is racist because it implies blacks are dumb.

05/15/17 6:05 pm

Dems think black people are so stupid they can't get an ID, so they can't drive, they can't go to the library, they can't go fishing, hunting, file their taxes, apply for Food Stamps or welfare, can't go to college, etc. etc. The list goes on and on, as to what they have to have an ID to do.

I find it VERY telling that most of the people that have voted that this is bad are those that live in the South, and even in NC. Maybe that's because we live around more black people and know they're not complete idiots! We grew up with them, went to school with them, go to work with them, and some of us even worship with them. And we do this with a higher percentage of blacks than any other section of the country.

How in the WORLD can Dems say that blacks are too stupid to get an ID and then call Republicans racist?!

Greenie Social Democrat
05/15/17 6:45 pm

@praetorianus No, it doesn't imply that at all. It simply acknowledges that the law disproportionately affects black people, it doesn't speculate why that is. However, I think it's clear that it's because black people face more hurdles in American society, such as increased poverty rates, dealing with discrimination, living in worse conditions, etc., that make it more difficult to overcome the hurdles put in place by this kind of law.

05/15/17 6:49 pm

Greenie, tell us EXACTLY how it affects black people when they can get a free ID online or at their local probate office? Is it that they're too stupid to work a computer? Or they're too stupid to find the local probate office? If so, how did they get a driver's license? How did they get a job? How do they file their taxes? Are they too stupid to do any of these things also?

DounutHole
05/15/17 8:48 pm

4j, please tell us all from your trailer park, how justice Roberts was incorrect in his ruling?

05/15/17 8:55 pm

DonutHole, just so I'm not jumping the gun, and am understanding where you're coming from. Are you disparaging me because I live in a trailer park?

DounutHole
05/15/17 8:59 pm

No because you disagree with the Supreme Court, you just happen to be trailer park trash.

05/15/17 9:02 pm

Are you and BlackC the same person? Because he made a disparaging trailer park comment about someone else today. I VERY rarely put anyone on ignore, and as someone here has said, "if 4JC puts someone on ignore, they must be REALLY bad" because I try to be nice to everyone, even if I vehemently disagree with them.

You've just earned an ignore from me. I do NOT abide anyone that disparages those that are poor and calls them trash because they live in a mobile home park.

DounutHole
05/15/17 9:03 pm

Don't tread on me!

bobbabson Conneticut
05/15/17 5:26 pm

Just get national id cards and everyone can have their way

Loveus
05/15/17 5:19 pm

By the way- it has nothing to do with blacks and everything to do with Democrats finding loopholes to get illegal immigrants to vote. Why? Because only illegal immigrants will vote for them

Greenie Social Democrat
05/15/17 5:58 pm

None of what you just said is accurate. It is a fact that voter ID laws disproportionately affect black communities. There is no evidence of any significant level of voter fraud in the United States, including votes by illegal immigrants. Also, it's pretty ridiculous to say that the democrats' entire base is made up of illegal immigrants when there's no evidence that any large numbers of illegal immigrants even vote to begin with.

Loveus
05/15/17 5:16 pm

Why can't they get IDs? It's an excuse. Public transportation is available. We're not living in the Amazon rainforest

Butters Wisconsin
05/15/17 5:53 pm

That's awful ignorant of you.

Quinnipiac Here
05/15/17 6:09 pm

lol. why?

princess27 Trump Card
05/15/17 8:40 pm

Butters likes playing the victim card.

Butters Wisconsin
05/15/17 11:37 pm

If you think public transportation is available no matter where you live in America you live under a rock.

I'm no victim you idiot.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
05/16/17 6:18 am

How did a poll tax suppress anyone? How did any requirement suppress any voter? No idea because nobody has ever considered suppression just a comment sense requirement to vote..

thebarr
05/15/17 4:49 pm

I've never understood the opposition to the voter IDs.

Domino3 Abolish the ATF
05/15/17 4:55 pm

Apparently minorities are too stupid to get an ID

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
05/15/17 5:31 pm

It just smacks of the continuing voter suppression that is famous in these parts..

thebarr
05/15/17 5:33 pm

Voter suppression is a buzz word with little substance. How does an ID requirement suppress anyone?

scrpnHOG Arizona
05/15/17 5:36 pm

It's a smack to the legal Americans that take the right to vote seriously and that it shouldn't be infringed by those who want to commit fraud.

Greenie Social Democrat
05/15/17 6:00 pm

People oppose voter ID laws because they put an unnecessary hurdle between voters and the ballot, they disproportionately affect minorities and poor people, and their purpose is to solve a problem that nobody can even prove exists.

05/15/17 6:09 pm

Greenie, it does NOT affect poor people. I've lived on poverty level most of my life, yet have had a driver's license since I was a teen. And in most states, you can get a FREE voter ID card by going online or to your local probate office! This is a cop out.

05/15/17 8:15 pm

Look at any other liberal Democracy in the world. They all have voter ID laws and they have better voter turnout.

Butters Wisconsin
05/15/17 11:50 pm

In order to get a driver's license or state ID you need a certified birth certificate. That is the hurdle that elderly and minorities face.

05/16/17 12:05 am

Part 2. The Secretary of State’s office has entered an agreement with the Alabama Department of Public Health whereby a free birth or marriage certificate will be provided to the processing or issuing agent when a voter needs one of these documents in order to obtain a free Alabama photo voter ID card. This certificate is for voting purposes only, is provided electronically, and cannot be used for any other purpose. For more information, please call the Secretary of State’s office at 1-800-274-8683."

I'm sure that other states have the same arrangements. It's a very easy google search!

05/16/17 12:05 am

Here is the site in the state of AL to get a FREE voter ID card.

www.alabamavoterid.com/getFreePhotoVoterID.aspx

Note that you don't have to have a birth certificate, but you can also get a FREE birth certificate if you need one, in order to get a voter ID card. The following is copied and pasted from the site I gave you:

"Examples of Non-Photo ID Documents that can be used to obtain a free Alabama Photo Voter ID card

All must contain full legal name and date of birth
Birth Certificate *
Hospital or nursing home record
Marriage Record *
State or Federal Census Record
Military Record
Medicare or Medicaid document
Social Security Administration Document
Certificate of Citizenship
Official school record or transcript

More.....

anarchy GET OFF MY LAWN
05/16/17 6:45 am

4JC: that's nothing. Several years ago SC passed a voter ID law that was struck down by Obama's "Justice" Department under Eric Holder because supposedly some people didn't have ID's, and didn't have the means to purchase an ID, nor the means to get to a DMV to get one. the law made state ID's free, and the State was to provide free transportation to anybody that required it. They even made it available on certain Saturdays for people that couldn't take a day off during the work week. This is clearly not about the stated reasons. It's purely political.

05/16/17 2:43 pm

I didn't think AL was alone in this. Thanks, Anarchy! I appreciate your backing me up!

TiredofIt Texas
05/15/17 4:36 pm

They made clear the denial had nothing to do with the merits of the case but based on how North Carolina can't figure out for itself who legally can appeal to the Supreme Court. The answer is No it is not a good decision for them to not get to the merits, but it's not like they ruled against North Carolina like they could have.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
05/15/17 4:07 pm

Better one than none; better late than never.

CoffeeNow Fiery but peaceful rioter
05/15/17 4:06 pm

"What's racist about voter id laws?"

"Because poor blacks can't get IDs as easily"

"...but there are more poor whites than poor blacks"

"Oh...uhhhhh....shit"

swervin Maryland
05/15/17 4:32 pm

Democrats don't care about poor whites though.

Greenie Social Democrat
05/15/17 6:01 pm

It's a fact that voter ID laws disproportionately affect minority communities.

05/15/17 6:10 pm

Good point, Coffee and Swervin.

Greenie, just because you post that under EVERY person that comments isn't going to make it true! SMH

swervin Maryland
05/15/17 6:21 pm

@greenie: that's what democrats want minorities to believe. They treat them like mushrooms, keep them in the dark and feed them shit.

Greenie Social Democrat
05/15/17 6:33 pm

Just because you choose to ignore it doesn't make it not a fact. This isn't my opinion or my analysis, this is an objective searchable fact. Not to sound cliché, but seriously, look it up.

Greenie Social Democrat
05/15/17 6:34 pm

@swervin that doesn't make any sense

swervin Maryland
05/15/17 6:36 pm

Keeping minorities in welfare and food stamps, liberal media convincing uneducated that conservatives are evil, that is the shit that I speak of.

05/15/17 6:42 pm

Greenie, blacks don't seem to have any problems getting an ID when they want to drive, apply for Food Stamps or welfare, apply for a job, hunt, fish, go to the library, etc. Heck, now you have to have an ID just to go to the doctor! HOW do you think they're doing all these things if they can't get an ID? How stupid do you think they are?

swervin Maryland
05/15/17 6:57 pm

All minorities need the white man to stand up for them! How else will they survive in this white dominated world! /s

05/15/17 7:33 pm

You haven't answered my question. Do you, personally, know ANY blacks that are too stupid to be able to get an ID? I sure don't!

FrankLunts Fredericksburg, VA
05/15/17 4:03 pm

Which voters are unable to obtain ID?

dudley northern Virginia woods
05/15/17 3:55 pm

It's an insult to a certain segment of the voting population to assume they are mentally incompetent to adequately follow instructions whose purpose is to provide a fair and unbiased election.

Greenie Social Democrat
05/15/17 6:02 pm

You could use the same argument to defend literacy tests and other Jim Crow era voting restrictions.

dudley northern Virginia woods
05/15/17 7:30 pm

Were those tests given to everyone? Plenty of poor people regardless of their skin color would have had difficulties with some of those tests . Access to education has improved considerably in over 60 years.

thatguy2 I am Antifa
05/15/17 3:53 pm

The laws targeted black voters. It was racist, plain and simple. Now I'm just gonna go for a swim in the tears of all the racists here 🏊

asia
05/15/17 4:11 pm

The laws actually target groups more likely to vote democratic. Those Republican rascals spend bundles of energy and resources to win at any cost. It's also the redistricting.

So it's important to vote in 2018 - the midterms - and 2020 to determine who gets to redistrict.

TiredofIt Texas
05/15/17 4:37 pm

I can't believe that guy is so racist that he thinks black people can't get an ID....

thatguy2 I am Antifa
05/15/17 4:39 pm

I can't believe you're so ignorant that you think this case was just about IDs.

TiredofIt Texas
05/15/17 4:41 pm

I'll take ignorant over racist. You apparently won't. That's sad and terrible.

thatguy2 I am Antifa
05/15/17 4:43 pm

Read a paper. You're embarrassing yourself.

TiredofIt Texas
05/15/17 4:45 pm

I read all about this case bub. I really hope YOU aren't ignorant enough to really think the Supreme Court ruled against North Carolina. They made it abundantly clear they did not. Bet you didn't read that huh?....

thatguy2 I am Antifa
05/15/17 4:50 pm

The ruling at hand is from the lower court which ruled the changes to be intentionally discriminatory, which was obvious. Deny it all you like.

thebarr
05/15/17 4:50 pm

It's not clear to me how the law targeted black voters. Are you implying that black people cant get IDs? If not then what are you implying?

TiredofIt Texas
05/15/17 4:54 pm

Lmfao! So which is it? Did you not read the question or do you not know how the Supreme Court works and didn't read the order list today? Maybe you should stop embarrassing yourself.

thatguy2 I am Antifa
05/15/17 5:08 pm

SCOTUS punted over who has standing, so the lower court ruling is the one at issue. Why is this so hard for you?

TiredofIt Texas
05/15/17 5:09 pm

Because the question was about the Supreme Court and you are making it sound like they affirmed the 4th Circuit.

moldypipes9
05/15/17 3:43 pm

Clerk- You need ID to buy rum
Me- thats racist

phalnx Ohio
05/15/17 3:41 pm

Good ruling. I'm all in favor of making it easier for people to vote, so maybe they'll get off their lazy asses and do it! Intentionally making it harder is a direct attack on Democracy. Regardless, there's no excuse for not voting.

whomstve99 Republic of Texas
05/15/17 5:23 pm

And allow illegals to vote? How is that fair to democracy?

05/15/17 6:13 pm

It doesn't make it easier for anyone to vote, other than illegals! To say that blacks can't vote because they have no ID and can't get one is just ignorant, because they seem to do fine when they need to drive, apply for food stamps and welfare, hunt, fish, and the many other things that you need an ID for. Also in most states you can get an ID for free online and at your local probate's office. To say they're too stupid to do that is the ultimate in racism!

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
05/15/17 3:37 pm

Nothing to do with racial minorities. Its about "poor" people.

scrpnHOG Arizona
05/15/17 5:12 pm

Which poor people the ones on welfare?

05/15/17 6:14 pm

I've been poverty level most of my life and have always had a driver's license and have voted in every election. To say that we're too stupid to get an ID is being discriminatory against the poor!

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
05/15/17 6:32 pm

I'm for the voter ID laws, I think even tge poor need yo take responsibility and make sure they have an Id

DexNav Location
05/15/17 3:29 pm

That's good. Voter ID can easily discriminate by race. The Supreme Court made the right decision.

FrankLunts Fredericksburg, VA
05/15/17 4:04 pm

Which races can't get ID?

thebarr
05/15/17 4:51 pm

Exactly my question.

DexNav Location
05/15/17 5:21 pm

They can. However, it makes it a lot harder. I'm disgusted by how taken you are with anything that undermines democracy.

thebarr
05/15/17 5:22 pm

Why is it harder for some races to get a free ID than others?

thebarr
05/15/17 5:23 pm

And how does transparency and integrity of the voting process undermine democracy?

FrankLunts Fredericksburg, VA
05/15/17 5:38 pm

Right, the whole point of the voter ID verification IS transparency!

FrankLunts Fredericksburg, VA
05/15/17 5:41 pm

Furthermore, you should have to register by party and only participate in that party's primaries. Allow 6 months for verification process. In my opinion.

DexNav Location
05/15/17 5:41 pm

www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/08/03/courts-are-finally-pointing-out-the-racism-behind-voter-id-laws/?utm_term=.67199100b425

Don't give me the "fake news" BS. It leans slightly to the left, but it's real by all accounts. Unless you're somehow thinking that news that doesn't support Trump is false.

FrankLunts Fredericksburg, VA
05/15/17 5:44 pm

The news has become a joke, at least most of it. Not fake, just clearly biased. The "fake news" term was started by Democrats with the first excuse about online fake articles, but Trump stole the term and turned it on the biased media.

thebarr
05/16/17 2:26 am

The issue with the whole "racism" behind ID laws is ridiculous. Just because a law in practice targets a demographic group does not make it racist. Otherwise all laws against violent crime would be sexist because, let's face it, virtually all violent crime is perpetrated by men.

Let's just call this what it is: politics. For decades Democrats have gone around and bussed people to polls by the, well, the busload for them to vote Democrat. These are people with little motivation to vote who only want to press the "D" name to receive free stuff. Several things are necessaryfor this strategy to work, lack of voter ID, voting in different precincts, and same-day registration. That's what the Republicans target. Their idea of voting is that people should care enough to do it themselves, whereas this would kill Democrats' numbers by negating their bussing tactics.

DexNav Location
05/16/17 9:12 am

I'm done. I can't respond to arguments this stupid.

DexNav Location
05/16/17 9:15 am

Fine. Let me say one more thing. Poorer people, often minorities, have a harder time getting passport IDs and such. Furthermore, Republicans don't need this. There's very little voter fraud in North Carolina.

FrankLunts Fredericksburg, VA
05/16/17 7:29 pm

I don't think any of us know how much voter fraud there is. If there are issues with minorities obtaining ID, those issues should be addressed, not lax voting laws to compensate.

DexNav Location
05/17/17 1:55 pm

Then people should instate laws to prevent minorities and poor people from being discriminated against BEFORE they try to make a voter ID law.

FrankLunts Fredericksburg, VA
05/17/17 5:15 pm

Haven't heard yet how the ID law and discrimination are linked yet, whichever may be result of the other.

thebarr
05/17/17 5:20 pm

Laws that prevent minority discrimination? You mean other than the myriad of laws that are already on the books that prevent this?

Ay caramba.

thebarr
05/17/17 5:21 pm

And Dex, are you denying that Democrats literally bus people into polls?