Show Of Hands December 20th, 2012 12:00am

Do you really turn your electronics all the way off during airplane takeoffs and landings?

cowboy Come on, man
12/26/12 11:20 am

That's messed up vexed. He was just following orders. Not like the "real" Nazis.

cowboy Come on, man
12/26/12 11:18 am

Whoami Yeah because people aren't banning guns, smoking, and forcing us to eat what they eat. Much different from the "real" Nazis...

jamjay Atlanta, Ga
12/25/12 2:27 pm

I fly a lot and my wife is Hot. My advice to you is to Chill. Get over it and then get on with it.

jamjay Atlanta, Ga
12/25/12 2:25 pm

Airplane Mode. Use it.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/24/12 8:52 pm

That's an outdated notion. Airplane electronics have gotten much better shielding than they had 20 years ago.

xplayman New York City
12/24/12 1:18 pm

The real question is how you "turn off" your phone. Some people put their phone to sleep an assume their phone is "off."

Ninjosh
12/24/12 7:29 am

I've never been on a plane :) so technically no!

satiricalnick meh
12/23/12 9:12 pm

YEEE HAAA COWBOY! Im behind you 100%, fuck the perverted tsa fuckheads.

satiricalnick meh
12/23/12 9:11 pm

Both my parents work at boeing, and say there's no real reason to turn electronics off anymore, its just stupid shit the airlines make you do. I still turn airplane mode on though.

vexed
12/23/12 3:24 am

Cowboy did you see the recent news story about the Texas officer's video showing a cavity search on two young ladies in public view on the side of a road, using the same glove for both "areas" and not changed between exams?? Irving, TX police I believe. UNbelievable. The video is on YouTube no less.

zorthog The Republic
12/22/12 8:10 pm

No reason to. I have two friends that are airline pilots and they don't turn theirs off. They said the reason is so passengers can hear safety critical info from the crew during an emergency because below 10,000 feet there isn't much time to prepare for a crash. Uninformed passengers are a hazard.

GrandmaALiCE
12/22/12 4:23 pm

Auschwitz. Very long story, but that's all I will get into now.

As such, I am sensitive to the current trend of calling anything somebody dislikes Nazi. It trivializes the real thing.

GrandmaALiCE
12/22/12 4:22 pm

I can understand your point about the security searches. You are entitled to your opinion.

But, please reserve the term Nazi for the real thing. Members of my husband's family were murdered by the REAL Nazis. His father was imprisoned in Dachau for 5 horrible weeks. His grandmother was gassed at

cowboy Come on, man
12/22/12 11:25 am

I don't fly. Can't subject myself and my family to a sexual assault. I would end up in prison if those Nazis touched my daughter.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/22/12 8:33 am

We can't afford to fly anywhere but I would I'd I could. I tend to follow rules. I worked for civil rights. But was not nasty about it.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
12/22/12 7:47 am

question I've got is whether or not you've ever had a HAM radio operator on the ground interfere with avionic communications. Have you ever had anything like that?

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
12/22/12 7:47 am

that would disrupt GPS signals.

I guess we can take all of that to be instructive to still use pilotage if in VFR conditions with the electronics as backups :)

If you're still on this thread, another…

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
12/22/12 7:46 am

Interesting. I've got to wonder if the cellphone vibration was the actual cause of interference in that example. But the VOR vs. GPS, were you able to fix it by moving the GPS unit (I'm obviously assuming it was portable)?

I remember AOPA some time back warning about I think it was a solar flare…

kmoro
12/22/12 6:06 am

Everyone out there who doesn't ..... You are jerks. Period. You really think whatever text or email you are getting is more important than all the lives on the plane??

blakestr San Diego
12/21/12 4:58 pm

Airplane mode

mjohn620
12/21/12 4:15 pm

I do, simply because I don't know why they could cause a problem enough to be certain that leaving mine on wouldn't mess with the flight or their communications. And one of the most annoying things in flying is having to sit in the gate because some idiot won't do as they're told...

Melon No Ducklips
12/21/12 4:10 pm

Yes. I turn everything off!!!
Then proceed to dig my fingers into my seat, stare at the seat in front of me and grit my teeth.
If I didn't turn it off and we had some kind of problem I'd probably stand up yelling at everyone, begging for their forgiveness in mid flight. White jacket!
Lol

PilotDad
12/21/12 3:24 pm

I've been a professional pilot for about 17 years. I never experienced any navigational problems due to cell phone usage, but it does cause "chatter" in our headsets which is an annoyance and distraction.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
12/21/12 2:42 pm

Fiat yes, I'm also a private pilot. That's my only experience with interference between navcoms and portable electronics. As a controller I've never taken a report related to passenger electronics, or had a jet get off-course due to them. Sun spots though are a huge problem for comm and GPS.

Dave1212
12/21/12 2:38 pm

Never been on an airplane

blueman
12/21/12 12:45 pm

I am a pilot and I use airplane mode never all the way off.

blueman
12/21/12 12:45 pm

I am a pilot and I use airplane mode never all the way off.

GrandmaALiCE
12/21/12 12:33 pm

Besides that, people don't even pay attention to the safety announcements! Tony, that would be a good poll question.

GrandmaALiCE
12/21/12 12:08 pm

As I said in a different reply, there are a lot of other things that can distract your attention, which have nothing to do with your electronic device. "Please close your book and put it away, so we can have your full attention, in case of an emergency!" I don't think so. LOL

geoag02 Dallas, TX
12/21/12 12:06 pm

...everyone to turn them off during flight.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
12/21/12 12:05 pm

He said that the phone system was tested and certified to work properly with the phones traveling at speeds up to 150 mph, but air planes can go MUCH faster than that, so Nortel made a deal with the airlines before the first cell phones were released (this dates back to the brick phones) to tell...

GrandmaALiCE
12/21/12 12:04 pm

Then, they would say you can't read a book, work a crossword puzzle, talk to the person next to you, look out the window, etc. Really, I always find SOMETHING to do, during takeoff and landing. If I can't use my device, I read or do something else, which requires attention.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
12/21/12 11:59 am

This was from someone who worked for Nortel.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
12/21/12 11:57 am

I heard that the problem caused by using a cell phone on a plane is actually with the cell towers, and not the plane. When flying you are going to fast for the phone to have time to properly release it's self when leaving one tower's coverage area and entering another.

GrandmaALiCE
12/21/12 11:52 am

You are generally allowed to turn it back on after the plane has reached altitude. Read the question more carefully. It asks only about takeoff and landing.

GrandmaALiCE
12/21/12 11:46 am

That can't be the reason for the rule. If it was, they would say say you couldn't read a book or magazine, during takeoff and landing. In fact, I can get just as absorbed (or more) in a good book than with a game on my iPod or Facebook.

davidwhite1 Building it Bigger
12/21/12 10:56 am

And how would the pilot know that the static was caused by to many cell phones. They can't even see in the cabin. What if it was just static

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
12/21/12 10:41 am

Now I will definitely leave my phone on- those tickets sound so ridiculous that I bet one day they'll be collectors items.

esp Warwick RI
12/21/12 10:38 am

What more proof do we need than 9/11/2001 there were many calls placed during the hijackings and the plans only went down when those sick bastards crashed them

robolds Initiative
12/21/12 10:26 am

Oh myth busters! Ok. I trust them. :)