Show Of Hands October 28th, 2012 12:00am

Overall, would you say that you are more politically moderate than your preferred Presidential candidate?

calibred7 California
11/04/12 6:53 pm

Your insane! Obama is barely a democrat, let alone even close to an extremist/ socialist! Most democrats are not more moderate because of that reason, he's not as liberal as they wish.

calibred7 California
11/04/12 6:52 pm

Romney was moderate in Massachusetts now the guy is so far right some republican senators are running to the middle to try and save their seats

10/30/12 10:10 pm

Cray Cray but apparently true on this poll, Hogwash!

10/30/12 10:06 pm

Yes, I see there are many different ratings and he seems to average about tenth. It looks like Jim DeMint was ranked as the 10th most conservative for 2011. So I fully expect you to consider him a moderate as well.

10/30/12 8:58 pm

Wow, 75% of Democrats are more extreme than Obama? I really hope not. He was ranked the most liberal senator while he was in congress. It is scary that people don't realize he is the most extreme president this country has ever had.

Harrith2
10/30/12 1:56 pm

Wow! Why don't I see more comments from you KYT! Very well said!

scalyandt
10/30/12 11:15 am

Why do people keep complaining about "extremists in congress" if the voters themselves aren't moderate?

10/30/12 6:40 am

I couldn't believe it when Romney said he wanted to get more money to sped on the war, and then the navy basically came out and said "uh, we don't want or need that". Fiscally responsible? No.

10/30/12 6:36 am

Haha someone is forgetting about Bush. I thought we were supposed to never forget!

10/30/12 6:34 am

Jesus Christ, healthcare is not communist.

10/30/12 6:33 am

Care to educate us? Because other countries that have been polled about our election overwhelmingly favor Obama.

10/30/12 6:32 am

He's not a democrat, he isn't anything. He's just a guy who says what people want to hear.

kytoaltoky
10/30/12 5:02 am

...but we understand "waste" is subjective. Corporations operate on a different principle: They aren't democratic (regardless of shareholder votes), and they are purely motivated by profit. When corporate interests clash with civil rights or my environment, I think we should limit their operations.

kytoaltoky
10/30/12 4:57 am

That's a false premise. First, we don't "hate" corporations or "love" big government. That would be like me saying that Republicans hate women and love pollution! Democrats like good, effective, and useful government. We abhor "waste" as much as the next guy...

weallhave1 Tennessee
10/30/12 4:39 am

Romney is so moderate, he's almost a Democrat. How can anyone be more moderate than him?

CP
10/29/12 9:47 pm

Right there with you. Waiting for republicans finally become accepting of others.....

Lumineer
10/29/12 7:52 pm

One thing I've always found interesting is how Democrats tend to prefer bigger government, yet hate corporations because they "have too much control." Which do you want? More control from someone else or more control from yourself?

joshgoinham Birmingham, Alabama
10/29/12 3:32 pm

Just a side note, American "liberals" DO NOT represent classical liberalism in hardly any actual way!

"Liberal" everywhere else in the world has a completely different meaning!

Burned Missouri
10/29/12 3:29 pm

Is that possible? Maybe if you are Karl Marx's grandson

joshgoinham Birmingham, Alabama
10/29/12 3:29 pm

I am a registered Libertarian but I support limited social welfare. In a practical world you HAVE to have it, just not on the scale or exists currently.

So yes I am more moderate than the average libertarian candidate.

Burned Missouri
10/29/12 3:25 pm

Tea party is a radical idiot! And its not within the party its BOTH democrats and republicans. The real problem is people like you who play the blame game. Omg everyone come together and stop whining. Both parties have corruption and disagreements its what literally defined POLITICS

Burned Missouri
10/29/12 3:23 pm

Is that possible? I mean communist healthcare...i thought you couldnt get more liberal

Doopy Remedial Americanism
10/29/12 2:50 pm

tjrooks, gridlock is a feature designed into the legislature. I'm not inclined to give too much credit to the idea that it is radicalization that causes gridlock, either. I would suggest it is the urge to retain power itself causing the rare problematic gridlock and moderates are just as vulnerable.

Liberty2016
10/29/12 2:42 pm

Gary Johnson is fiscally right an I'm center-right. I can support his ideas, but I would not campaign on those ideas.

AngryAngel Oswego, IL
10/29/12 1:59 pm

I would only buy a car if it had seatbelts in it. I would always drive with a seatbelt on. I just don't want to be told I have to.

kytoaltoky
10/29/12 1:05 pm

@MRM27. The problem is, Reagan kept the top tax rate @50% for most of his term and dropped it to 28% at the end of his term, forcing Bush (41) and Clinton to raise it in order to slow down deficit growth. Meanwhile, payroll taxes went up considerably and the lower tax rates held steady or increased.

dabrat East Coast
10/29/12 10:30 am

I'm more socially liberal than Obama

BriD Illinois
10/29/12 9:57 am

I'm right there with ya!

BriD Illinois
10/29/12 9:56 am

My condolences....

KaRn8
10/29/12 9:48 am

The problem w/the republican party is that there is no unity. Tea party politicians refuse to work with dems & their own rep. party members. Republicans cant agree on ANY issues. Mitt is a prime example of a republican candidate who is all over the map on issues to try to curry favor w/his own party

kytoaltoky
10/29/12 9:48 am

People trying to label elected officials as "liberal" need to honestly consider the legislative agenda by which they earn that label.

kytoaltoky
10/29/12 9:47 am

In a general sense, "liberal" means supporting liberal legislation and/or opposing conservative legislation. There has been very little "liberal" legislation introduced in recent years. Can you imagine something like FDR's "New Deal" being introduced in Congress today? It wouldn't leave committee!

KaRn8
10/29/12 9:42 am

Actually the communist party under Lenin de-criminalized homosexuality. It was made illegal under czarist rule. Stalin however re-criminalized it.

KaRn8
10/29/12 9:38 am

I agree! Mitt and Obama have more in common then they differ on. Obama will win RI but i will vote green party. Our most staunch republican in RI would be considered liberal in most red states.

KaRn8
10/29/12 9:34 am

Sometimes i think i am the only very liberal person on SOH. :0

kytoaltoky
10/29/12 9:28 am

Liberal (just a few positions):
Expand individual civil rights.
Limit corporate influence.
Ensure social justice.
Limit military intervention.
Protect consumers.
Support due process.
Oppose prohibition (all types).
Meet fiscal obligations through taxation.

kytoaltoky
10/29/12 9:16 am

You can say whatever you want. It's a free country! :)

dirk2012
10/29/12 8:11 am

I'm more conservative than Romney.

zman117 Ohio
10/29/12 8:10 am

..... Stop listening to The Factor, Rush, and Beck, do some research and look up what the most liberal president would really look like, because Obama is not...
Also, I do not think Drones should be a liberal view, everyone should stand up against them.

Brrrrrrrrr
10/29/12 8:10 am

Embarrassing Biden fact #241
Biden thinks Romney voted for a five hundred trillion dollar tax cut.

Embarrassing Biden fact #242
If you can't go a few days without misspeaking, it's more than just a slip of the tongue. It's the effect of a failing brain.

SKSchultz
10/29/12 8:09 am

I think I'm more conservative.

zman117 Ohio
10/29/12 8:06 am

Obama is not liberal, Drones, Death penalty, war on drugs, guantonomo (spelling?), Drones, Republican like foreign policy, Drones. Nobody say Obama does not have Republican like foreign policy, because Romney sure thinks so...... Plus like other people said, liberal is not communism or socialism....

veritas1 Panda
10/29/12 7:59 am

How is Obama anti-Semitic?

And why are gays inferior to Jews in your eyes where discriminating against gays is weighted less than…doing nothing to Jews. Obama is overwhelmingly supported by Jews. What are you talking about?

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
10/29/12 7:42 am

Yes I'm very much for gay-rights or he is not. I will not vote for somebody who is openly anti-somatic I agree with some points with each of them and Disagree with others but Romney Gets my vote

arborfamilia on top of the hill
10/29/12 7:40 am

I think of the seatbelt law as not being protective towards YOU, but towards all the emergency crews and fellow drivers who have to see your bloody, maimed head sticking out the windshield because you didn't buckle up. It costs more tax dollars to save your ass, so be a conservative and buckle up!

arborfamilia on top of the hill
10/29/12 7:36 am

It's really pretty easy to be more liberal than Obama.

dirk2012
10/29/12 7:34 am

Can I say, "I hate big government, but love small government?"