Arkansas123 July 20th, 2013 5:07pm

Tomorrow is the anniversary of the Scopes Monkey Trial (1925). In your opinion, should "evolution by natural selection" (Charles Darwin) or "survival of the fittest" (Herbert Spencer) be taught in the public school system?

bMyComrade Stumptown
07/20/13 4:41 pm

It's even taught at the private catholic school I work at... So yeah it should be taught. It is a scientifically solid theory, as close to fact as scientists are willing to label anything.

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
07/20/13 11:30 am

Teach it, after all, evolution is factual.

goalie31 OrthodoxCatholicChristian
07/20/13 10:11 am

as long as they teach as what it is. a THEORY. Teachers love to throw "facts" down students throats

pinksowner Indiana
07/20/13 11:14 am

The entire bases of science is on theories. They are as close to fact as you get because science can change. But I won't get a flu shot next year because it's still the same virus.

Just for fun, gravity is "theory": goo.gl/oxFG6

TalkPolitics Chevy Chase, MD
07/20/13 12:30 pm

You have to remember, to be known as a theory, it ha to be tested, proved, and accepted by the scientific community. Takes years. Gravity is still just a theory.

TalkPolitics Chevy Chase, MD
07/20/13 12:31 pm

Oops didn't see that you said gravity was a theory too. My bad.

goalie31 OrthodoxCatholicChristian
07/20/13 12:35 pm

I'm just saying it isn't 100% proven. I believe in adaptation... I don't believe humans and monkeys have a similar ancestor. they can teach it. I don't care. just make sure to not say it is proven fact.

beanD California
07/20/13 10:08 am

Of course. It's a possible explanation for the world. Just teach some OTHER possible explanations as well!

pinksowner Indiana
07/20/13 11:23 am

Firstly,evolution does not explain the origin of life.It explains how life changes and came to be.

Secondly,I'm going to guess that you'll want the Christian origin of the world. But why not teach the Nordic, Hindu, or Japanese origins of the world?

CTYankee!!! Connecticut
07/20/13 2:52 pm

Or the Flying Spaghetti Monster version

beanD California
07/20/13 6:38 pm

Did I ever say the Christian version? Did I ever say ONLY the Christian version? Please don't put words in my mouth.

pinksowner Indiana
07/20/13 6:43 pm

Bean, I simply don't have enough characters to add what else I wanted to say. I had to shorten it but I was going to mention something about being an apologetic in which you teach a every origin story. But those aren't science and evolution is.