camigirl
07/19/13 12:15 pm

If sacrificing you life to keep others safe isn't heroic then I don't know what is. But unfortunately, like users have already said, there are soldiers who don't deserve the title of hero due to their other actions.

Jeninerd Hoth, AK
07/19/13 10:55 am

Being a soldier does not inherently make you a hero. Most soldiers are, but not all (see recent rise in sexual assaults).

EarlyBird Portland
07/19/13 9:42 am

I think we use the word "hero" way too often. It's lost it's meaning. No, I don't think soldiers are hero's simply for being soldiers.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
07/19/13 10:00 am

I disagree. The root of heroism is sacrifice on behalf of another, and every soldier, sailor, airman, and marine sacrifices their safety, and a significant portion of their life for our benefit.

CDFL alt right, alt snowflake
07/19/13 10:04 am

Doopy- that can be a loose definition. Technically all parents could be considered heroes

EarlyBird Portland
07/19/13 10:06 am

Doopy - ok, then we need to have another word that means better than hero. A soldier is not the same level hero as a soldier that jumps on an bomb to save others.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
07/19/13 11:08 am

No, we just need to see heroism on a graduated scale. A man may be tall, but he's not as tall as a skyscraper.

Arguably, all parents are heroes. Mine sure are.

EarlyBird Portland
07/19/13 12:44 pm

Doopy - exactly my point. Your parents aren't hero's. they are excellent parents. Anybody can have sex and make babies. It doesn't make them hero's

CDFL alt right, alt snowflake
07/19/13 9:40 am

Are enemy soldiers heroes?

inge MIA
07/19/13 9:41 am

I have the same answer for enemy soldiers.

inge MIA
07/19/13 9:38 am

they are human. there are many who are heroes, there are also many who are a disgrace to their uniform

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
07/19/13 9:37 am

Saying no feels wrong to me so I said yes, but I don't believe they are all Heros. My example; when my friend (female) joined, shortly after she got raped by a fellow soldier, I will NEVER consider him a hero even if he happens to do something heroic