TalkPolitics July 19th, 2013 3:34pm

"Hypothetical Question" What would you like your generation to pass on to the next. You can only pass one and the other will be come obsolete. Think about this one before you choose please. I'd also enjoy you sharing why in the comments!!!

MJSeals J.D.
07/19/13 9:13 am

I find it ironic, democrats choose to pass on security when that involves The Patriot Act

Vincere Seattle
07/20/13 12:09 am

Keep in mind that's out of 11 democratic votes. So like 5 people voted security. Not enough to judge an entire party.

scubaagb
07/19/13 8:59 am

Those that would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety- Benjamin Franklin. Had to use a quote because I couldn't say it any better.

eLucidate writing
07/19/13 9:02 am

The question isn't about a small amt of security or a small amt of liberty. It's all of one and none of the other.

scubaagb
07/19/13 9:04 am

But you give up liberty to be safe right. Ok would you rather live inside of maximum security prison in solitary confinement or in house of your own that could get broken into, but it's yours and you can defend it and yourself?

eLucidate writing
07/19/13 10:09 am

Depends on how unsafe the home is.

eLucidate writing
07/19/13 10:12 am

I'd rather live in a confined community than get shot at every day.

scubaagb
07/19/13 10:53 am

So life in a concrete box by yourself is better than a life where there is a chance you'll get shot? Is a life in that type total security really life?

eLucidate writing
07/19/13 10:58 am

Why does it have to be a concrete box or by yourself if its security then couldn't I decide who was with me and how much space we have? And it depends on how often you get shot at.

scubaagb
07/19/13 11:05 am

Well you say it's about absolutes. The only way for absolute safety is for you to be by yourself.

eLucidate writing
07/19/13 11:14 am

I don't agree with you there. Community is necessary for safety, mental health, and procreation.

scubaagb
07/19/13 2:22 pm

Well then without liberty couldn't whoever is establishing the vail of safety decide for you which community you can live in and who you procreate with? Because without liberty you don't have the option to make these decisions for yourself.

eLucidate writing
07/19/13 3:25 pm

That's true, without liberty I would not decide how communities were set up. But if there were 100% safety and that was the societal goal, I would also assume that it would not be set up like a prison.

scubaagb
07/19/13 6:31 pm

Well, I love the debate. But I think that we can both agree it takes both safety and liberty for a society to run smoothly. In the question I'd rather have the liberty to take care of my own safety.

eLucidate writing
07/19/13 6:55 pm

Very true. Nice talking with you.

TalkPolitics Chevy Chase, MD
07/21/13 8:00 am

Excellent work you guys. That's exactly what I wanted people to realize :) both are essential for us to survive. And for mutual recognition and agreement after a debate to happen takes great maturity thank you.

eLucidate writing
07/19/13 8:55 am

If we're dealing in absolutes, I have to pick security. What value is freedom if you have absolutely no security at all? For example- I wouldn't take a free house in Mogadishu over a gated home in Martha's Vineyard.