Show Of Hands July 5th, 2012 12:00am

When paying cash for something, do you always make an attempt to pay with exact change?

07/09/12 1:14 pm

No. I sometimes intentionally add a random amount of change and watch the math major behind the counter collapse into a brain overload fit.

paul61 Arizona
07/09/12 9:14 am

Ahsu, take your change at the end of each day and dump it something like a large jar. Then when it gets full, go to Coinstar or some similar

paul61 Arizona
07/09/12 9:12 am

The people trying to be efficient with the exact amount are always oblivious to the fact they are slowing down the line

juggalo
07/07/12 12:44 am

Holy fucking shit... Being a cashier at a fast-paced business, I don't give a damn if it makes your life moderately easier to get rid of 72 cents. If you don't have it ready, just use whole bill amounts. Good god.

ahsu Ohio
07/06/12 10:33 pm

I do, bc I don't like too many coins in my wallet. It gets heavy and bulgy. But when I'm low on change, I don't pay exact change. Need some coins to get stuff from the vending machines as school lol. To avoid change from the vending machine. It's a vicious cycle.

JamesMadison La Palma
07/06/12 9:37 pm

One time, just for fun, I paid the cashier all but 1¢ of what I had to and asked him if he could wave off the penny, he said no

Comet? Tennessee
07/06/12 7:56 pm

I just learn that most black people are more like to pay exactly with coins than white people. Just wonder why.

jilinca California
07/06/12 12:27 pm

No. I pay with whole dollar amounts and put whatever change I get into a "fun" jar for extra things/trips/etc... I was surprised how quickly it added up.

07/06/12 6:47 am

No. I rarely carry cash so I do pay in exact change via debit. When I do have cash, I only carry bills. Change ends up in my car so I wouldn't have any denomination smaller than a whole dollar.

blw1104 Pennsylvania
07/06/12 6:29 am

I try to get close. 20.50 for 20.39 ect. May not be able to be exact, but you can save from getting more change this way.

barbar
07/05/12 10:30 pm

Never. We always give bills only and save the change for the years vacation. We save about $600.00

tjoelchris
07/05/12 10:02 pm

As the manager of a fast food restaurant, stop trying I give me exact change unless you already have it ready! Sure, it may only take you 30 seconds, but by that time I could already have completed the transaction. Drives me crazy when people sit there for 3 minutes trying to get change ready.

TallyLu80 Oklahoma
07/05/12 9:32 pm

I try at times when I have the bills to do so. But say the amount is $6.43, and I have a $20 bill, I'll give the cashier $21.43 and get back the $15 even

Lazis
07/05/12 9:03 pm

No, I take the change and save it until I have a good amount and then cash it into the bank. Last time I went I had over $50 in coins.

emmbeedee Arkansas
07/05/12 8:50 pm

Yep, it's one of my many OCD issues.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
07/05/12 8:03 pm

Dump the change. Who wants to carry loose metal objects that have no real value. Then again, the paper only has the value we assign to it.

elbow82 Veganland
07/05/12 7:47 pm

Only if I have a lot of change in my wallet and I can get it counted out quickly.

Priceless2
07/05/12 7:29 pm

No way, don't like to carry change...dump it and turn it into windfall down the road!

peacenskis Alaska
07/05/12 6:58 pm

If I can easily. Won't hold up a line to do so.

bluebell Ohio
07/05/12 6:11 pm

Not usually, but for example, if I go to Wendy's, I know exactly how much it's going to be already so I might have change ready by the time I pull around the drive-thru. Or if whatever I'm buying is something like 20.04, it doesn't take too long to grab a few pennies.

Nerdz Texas
07/05/12 5:30 pm

Definitely not, too much time wasted looking for exact change

applestar Florida
07/05/12 5:05 pm

I like to receive change. We dump it all in a jar. Last year we used it for 1/2 our flights to Alaska :)

gjb2779
07/05/12 4:44 pm

No way it's more fun to AVOID change & collect it in a jar. Then when u turn it in at the bank it's like a surprise of bonus cash

Wert A picture of my junk
07/05/12 3:50 pm

Rarely. Usually only at drive-thru windows.

07/05/12 3:20 pm

Sometimes. The majority of the time though I want the change so I can empty my change purse and put it in my daughters' piggy banks.

sukiemac Michigan
07/05/12 2:55 pm

Hate having to much loose change.

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
07/05/12 2:41 pm

Always, no. I do it when I think I have the change.

yesmaam socal
07/05/12 2:36 pm

I like annoying people in the back of the line;)

07/05/12 1:32 pm

I am accumulating change, then I put it in a jar to roll up later...then I accumulate more..and so on..I am thinking of opening another bank account so I have money for a vacation or something...

Zod Above Pugetropolis
07/05/12 1:26 pm

If I have it, yes. I never leave the house with change, but by the third or fourth stop I can probably pay the exact amount. I usually have a few hundred on me, but since nobody here yet charges extra for plastic, and everyone takes it, I normally just put it on a card. It's free to use.

centexken Republic of Texas
07/05/12 12:48 pm

No, I'm saving all the pennies and nickels I can get my hands on. The dollar has been devalued to the point where the metal content is worth more than face value on pennies and nickels.

malibog 12309
07/05/12 12:39 pm

Never carry change. Always empty the coins into a change jug after each outing. Then I use it on something frivolous when I have saved enough.

sohuser California
07/05/12 12:22 pm

I try and pay them in silver dollars to see if they recognize their is a difference between that and a quarter. Most of them can't.

affd
07/05/12 12:13 pm

Although I get what you're saying. Counting up isn't very common anymore

affd
07/05/12 12:12 pm

@antiobama why would u want .02 back? Lol

sheriboo
07/05/12 11:56 am

We do not spend change, we save it. It's something we started a few years ago in Dave Ramsey's Financial University classes. We are 100% debt free, but the change saving never stopped.

WildBillWins Oregon
07/05/12 11:13 am

Most cashiers are not able to make correct change, unless they rely on the register. Giving anything other than the "exact change" or "bills only" often messes them up and they get all confused. So if the total is $16.23, and you offer up $21.25 so you would get $5.02 back...... They want to cry!

niteowl Hold Fast
07/05/12 11:04 am

I do if there's no one waiting behind me. I get anxious holding people up, and then suddenly I can't count.

goldy California
07/05/12 10:54 am

No unless it's really easy to like $5.50, $10.10, etc.

lindyj New Hampshire
07/05/12 10:41 am

Not if I owe more than a penny. Very irritating waiting for people to wade through all the change they've just dumped on the counter...& these are generally folks in slo-mo to start with!