JackTorS July 18th, 2013 1:31am

Comedy Central's Colbert Report listed Asiana Flight 214's pilot's names as: Cpt. Sum Ting Wong, Wi Tu Lo, Ho Lee Fuk and Bang Ding Ow. Are racial parodies like this more acceptable because it is of Asian origin?

barbearnj Dreaming of Banff
07/18/13 4:28 am

Not because they are Asian but because they are funny. We need to lighten up and learn how to laugh at ourselves.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/17/13 9:49 pm

Good natured humor like this isn't all that bad I don't feel

Wert A picture of my junk
07/17/13 9:14 pm

Colbert was repeating what an actual local news station reported erroneously when they were pinked by a lead with those names and an intern at the NTSB confirmed it because he thought it was funny. If you watched the show, you'd know this.

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
07/17/13 10:47 pm

Then you should also know that they added a few more inappropriate names along with "just reporting" the original story which, of course, they never intended to showcase and poke fun of.
But you knew that already.

smithers13228 Sin City
07/17/13 8:19 pm

Acceptable to me? No. To the general public? Yes

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
07/17/13 7:41 pm

More "acceptable"? No. Too funny not laugh out loud? (I confess, at least one tear trickled down my face. Bad Star! Sorry. I have a particularly twisted & perverted sense of humor.)

RJ1969 SoCal
07/17/13 6:43 pm

These names were actually reported on a local San Francisco news station, hence the contraversey.

But the answer to your question is yes. Because it's Asian, it's totally acceptable and hilarious! Even better than making fun of Mexicans.

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
07/17/13 6:59 pm

What I meant to emphasize is that because the airline and crew are of Asian origin, newspapers and TV shows can get away with racial remarks easier because there is lighter backlash from it. The ACLU or Al Sharpton aren't all over these people

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
07/17/13 7:00 pm

threatening a lawsuit.

RJ1969 SoCal
07/17/13 7:04 pm

If they were black, would JaLanden DaPlane be out of the question?

RJ1969 SoCal
07/17/13 6:41 pm

Oh jack.

Ugh.......

Tony SOH Founder
07/17/13 6:35 pm

Actually Colbert was just reporting on what the local news had aired. He said that, if they were going to make a racist joke, they should at least get the nationality correct (those names were Chinese-sounding, whilc Asiana Air was Korean).

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
07/17/13 6:52 pm

Just an excuse if you ask me.

XercesBlue ...
07/17/13 7:11 pm

The daily show and Colbert choose to highlight news stories, inconsistencies, and blunders to point out how ridiculous the media is or can be. It's kind of their thing.

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
07/17/13 7:36 pm

I realize this. They showcase this headline with these inappropriate names, denounce them, call them racist and then add a few inappropriate ones of their own.
You call Trayvon Martin "Thugvon", and everyone's up in arms, but this is acceptable?

susanr Colorado
07/17/13 6:33 pm

Not to me. (Aren't those the fake names actually used by some TV news program?)