HopefulChaos July 17th, 2013 11:00pm

When you find out someone is a vegetarian/vegan, do you admire them for their efforts to, in their eyes, live more ethically? Or do you find it to be stupid and/or annoying?

Octopus
07/18/13 10:43 pm

I was a vegetarian for 3.5 years, but I never mentioned it to people or thought differently of people who weren't. It was personal; I didn't want people to be concerned about my choice.

demchair Salem, VA
07/18/13 8:20 pm

I don't find it "stupid/annoying," I just accept that I am designed to eat meat (forward facing eyes and canine teeth).

Nukimo NC Dreaming of Far Away
07/18/13 12:25 am

For me it's health reasons. If it wasn't, would I be bad? I'm not an ass about it. Do I think meat eaters are bad? No. Who cares why they eat meat? Not me. I just want the same respect no matter why I don't.Idiots on both ends of the spectrum bug me.

lightsabr2 The Big Sky
07/17/13 11:05 pm

If for religious reasons, that's cool. If they just feel bad for "the poor animals", that's sad. If they try to rub it in my face, they can kiss my ass while I eat a bacon-wrapped steak.

rusty0131 A peaceful world
07/17/13 9:54 pm

I admire someone who has the convictions to stay a vegan or vegetarian. It is hard work. I was vegetarian for 2yrs due to medical issue and its hard thinking about things to eat/make. Now I'm pseudo (no beef/little pork) so its easier.

Jungle in the dog house
07/17/13 8:28 pm

I just think that my dinner dropped a paddy on their dinner.

mtbRIDER Gone riding...
07/17/13 6:00 pm

I don't admire them, but I also don't think it's stupid ...unless the don't shut up about it! "Okay pal, I get it... You're a vegan!"

Zod Above Pugetropolis
07/17/13 4:56 pm

Certainly not admirable. It's only annoying if there's a component of self-righteousness or an expectation that others should make a similar commitment. It's only stupid if it is so unhealthy they need to take dietary supplements. We're omnivores.

Melon No Ducklips
07/17/13 4:40 pm

Happiness and meat are synonymous in my book. I know several vegetarians and I don't admire them but don't really care either. Only...if I'm munchin on a burger and I hear a "ew". Then it's go time! Cue: eating with my mouth wide open!

aurealis the sky
07/17/13 4:30 pm

I admire them for committing to their own beliefs, but myself I love it too much to give it up. It doesn't bother me if they are vegetarian.

jules400 West Virginia
07/17/13 4:29 pm

Unless a vegetarian tells me different info, I also figure it's for health reasons.

maltz earth
07/17/13 11:57 pm

I'm interpreting health reasons to be caring about your body and keeping it healthy. To me, that means feeding it what it needs. For instance, my toes were colder than usual tonight, so...

maltz earth
07/17/13 11:58 pm

I'm going to eat spinach tomorrow to balance the lack of iron in my body.

maltz earth
07/18/13 12:03 am

It's also about education; the more you know about what's in the food you're eating and what it does for your body, the better choices you will make.

jules400 West Virginia
07/18/13 6:49 am

nmnm- yes! While I am not vegetarian, I do believe in balance and knowing effects of foods/nutrients my body ingests.

blujay5678
07/17/13 4:28 pm

I respect their choice, and won't try to change them. But when they try and tell me Taft I must stop to save the animals, and they haven't hurt anyone, that's when it's annoying, because if you put a human with let's say a tiger it will kill and eat

blujay5678
07/17/13 4:32 pm

Them. But humans have fooled themselves into believing they are superior to these creatures in every way, when reality is we are only superior in intellect, without that we are nothing against them, we would be sent down the food chain. But it's

blujay5678
07/17/13 4:32 pm

Only annoying when they think like that, other than that they're usually chill people

XercesBlue ...
07/17/13 4:15 pm

There's nothing moral about being vegetarian. I find it disgusting when they pretend its for moral reasons - it's so clear to me that they haven't truly thought about what they are implying.. Veganism for moral reasons I can admire.

XercesBlue ...
07/17/13 4:17 pm

"Moral" vegetarians essentially are stating they they can only give up what is most convenient for them. It's all a ploy to trick themselves into feeling better, moral, above others. If you break it down, they are saying that those animals that are

XercesBlue ...
07/17/13 4:18 pm

Kept in harsh and unhealthy environments that are put out of their misery are worth fighting for, but those animals kept in harsh/unhealthy environments that are kept alive for their products are not. There isn't a thing as moral vegetarianism IMO.

XercesBlue ...
07/17/13 4:20 pm

The ones that claim to be, don't put any effort into discovering what it actually means or stands for and there is no real thought put into it. It's a cheap "feel good" tactic.

XercesBlue ...
07/17/13 4:20 pm

Not saying people can't be vegetarian for good reasons, just the "moral" part isn't the main reason. Sorry for the rant!

HopefulChaos ohio
07/17/13 4:24 pm

I mean isn't being a vegetarian at least a step? It might be the "convenient" route, but it's better than nothing.

Jeninerd Hoth, AK
07/17/13 5:04 pm

The line for acceptability on what animals we can eat is arbitrary. Here in America we don't eat dogs but in other countries they do readily. Vegetarians who avoid eating meat for moral reasons simply choose a different location on the morality ...

Jeninerd Hoth, AK
07/17/13 5:05 pm

scale which makes more sense to them, specifically not contributing directly to the death of an animal.

Mooo42Q Thats Nucking Futs
07/17/13 4:11 pm

I dont have an opinion about it. I just know i'm not that person.

Mooo42Q Thats Nucking Futs
07/17/13 4:12 pm

I love delicious animal flesh.
Mmmmmmmmmmm

aurealis the sky
07/17/13 4:28 pm

⬆ Yeeeahhh

lmurder MDK
07/17/13 4:04 pm

So...where's the meat? In a carnivorous

lmurder MDK
07/17/13 4:05 pm

I meant I'm a carnivore.

Pastafarian Planet Earth
07/17/13 4:03 pm

When I meet some one who is vegetarian I assume they are doing it for health reasons.