CSGraham July 17th, 2013 2:48am

I just accepted my first teaching job today. Have you ever been a teacher, and do you have any advice?

auraelys The answer is 42.
07/18/13 7:25 am

High school English is where it's at ;) If you have some reading time left before you start, grab a Kelly Gallagher book. Readicide has great ways to encourage reluctant readers and is my personal favorite, but he has books on writing too.

auraelys The answer is 42.
07/18/13 7:27 am

Even if it sucks, read what your kids read. I've connected with kids over books. If your school's library sucks, have a classroom library with a healthy mix of classics AND YA literature. Reading Twilight is better than not reading at all.

auraelys The answer is 42.
07/18/13 7:28 am

And most of all, find some way to handle grading and stay on top of it. That's been my three-year nightmare. >< Oh, and sponsor something extra! It really shows you care about the kids.

auraelys The answer is 42.
07/18/13 7:31 am

I keep thinking of more. Make www.teacherspayteachers.com your new homepage. There is some really good stuff out there. ;) And don't feel like giving up after the first year...it will be rough, but it will be worth it.

bMyComrade Stumptown
07/18/13 5:51 am

Congrats! I'll throw my offer of someone to talk into the pot :-)
I just finished a year at a private school after three years at a really rough rural public school - at both I've taught math and history. If you want to talk/vent I'm a good ear.

r3VOLution not of this world
07/17/13 8:30 pm

If you set out to be liked you will have to compromise on anything and will have achieved nothing.
They won't respect you if you roll over for them.

Emma Austin.ish.
07/16/13 11:38 pm

congrats! just stay on top of your grading, and try to have all of the week's lesson plans finished by Sunday night. give mini-assessments all throughout the lessons.
what subject area are you teaching? if it's science, i have a lot more tips...

Emma Austin.ish.
07/16/13 11:39 pm

my email is emmakm.vt@gmail.com if you ever want to talk about anything. :)

Doopy Remedial Americanism
07/16/13 10:48 pm

I've been a TA. My advice is come up with several different ways to explain each difficult concept.

1txteacher Dickinson Gator Swamp
07/16/13 9:37 pm

If you really want to talk mandysnel@yahoo.com. I'm on vacation/family reunion this week so very little polling. 22 years experience in two states and 8 schools(in married to a coach)

susanr Colorado
07/16/13 9:27 pm

There are a bunch of teachers here, but maybe none of them are following you. Would you like me to re-post this poll to my followers, so it gets a wider audience? I think it's a good quesition & would be happy to do that...

susanr Colorado
07/16/13 9:28 pm

I'd credit you with the question, & encourage them to follow you.

CSGraham
07/17/13 7:47 pm

If you'd like and I haven't responded too late.

susanr Colorado
07/17/13 8:08 pm

Nah, it's not too late. I see you've heard from a couple of teachers, but I'm still happy to re-post it - I know there are more.

susanr Colorado
07/17/13 8:09 pm

If you post a comment on the poll pretty early on, it'll make it easier for folks to follow you, if they want. They often ask for that.

Angela12 Anyang, South Korea
07/16/13 9:06 pm

My only advice is don't shake the children.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/16/13 7:59 pm

Congrats - I teach preschool, so my advice would probably just get you in trouble - LOL

susanr Colorado
07/16/13 7:51 pm

I haven't been (although I've had a tiny taste of it; very tiny). But congratulations on the new job! What level will you be teaching, & what subject(s)?

CSGraham
07/16/13 7:54 pm

High school English.

susanr Colorado
07/16/13 7:55 pm

I hope it's fun. Two of my high school English teachers are among my all-time favorite teachers.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
07/16/13 9:15 pm

High school English teachers are memorable to me. One of mine recently died. I cried, she was like a second mother. That's awesome, though!

meaning Red Stick
07/17/13 9:58 pm

Use the Internet. High schoolers love the Internet.

auraelys The answer is 42.
07/18/13 7:34 am

^ And if you use the Internet, learn the magic of alt+f4. My kids still think I have some magic computer kill switch for when I find them playing games when they haven't finished their research ;)