Emma July 16th, 2013 11:14am

When going through difficult times, are you more self-sufficient, or do you rely heavily on the support of those around you?

mikeey1962 on SOH where else
07/16/13 4:30 pm

People got they're own problems why add to that.. I just try to keep it to myself..

dabrat East Coast
07/16/13 1:43 pm

I think needing help is a little different than wanting/accepting help organically.

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
07/16/13 11:27 am

I use to like to be alone, but my husband has helped me through so much. When I'm going through something, I run to him for strength and help. I could do it alone if I needed to, but it's so nice to have my husband there with me.

Evseng2
07/16/13 10:08 am

I have support around me if I need it.
But I go on my own

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
07/16/13 9:22 am

If I really need some support or advice, I'll ask for it. But usually I just need to retreat and do stuff for myself until I feel centered and grounded.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
07/16/13 9:11 am

I try to be self sufficient, but having the support of a friend is invaluable. Sometimes it feels like too much work to deal with other people, but it's amazing how much better it gets almost instantly when you push past that and let a friend in.

MrWolfe Nashville
07/16/13 9:01 am

During our toughest times is when we most need the support of those who care about us.
Self-reliance is a wonderful ideal to strive for...but ultimately, we don't know all the answers & need helpful guidance.

Nukimo NC Dreaming of Far Away
07/16/13 7:59 am

I learned at an early age that, "if it's to be, it's up to me!" Even today dealing w/chronic pain I/we, (my wife) have done more to help with coping, new treatments, specialists etc than ANY one Doctor or Program. Sad but true.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/16/13 6:47 am

I've learned that the only person I can actually rely on, is myself. I try to avoid talking to others when I'm upset. On the other hand, no matter how upset or how much emotional pain I'm going through, I'm always going to try and help others with

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/16/13 6:48 am

whatever they're going through. There are so many times where I just want to help people and they either won't let me, or they take advantage of that. Regardless, I will never stop that.

As usual, Emma - I'm here if you need anything...❤

Emma Austin.ish.
07/18/13 5:23 am

thanks, MrL

Melon No Ducklips
07/16/13 6:35 am

I require a huge amount of attention in order to stable my spinning mind. Typically I isolate myself but in the past few years I've come to appreciate how soothing it can be to let the people in, who care about you.

iBakes California
07/16/13 6:43 am

It's always easier when you realize you have people on your side :)

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
07/16/13 6:32 am

I isolate my self, really quite and mentally alone until I solve what I need to.

iBakes California
07/16/13 6:26 am

I always like to talk problems out with people. Even if I'm not looking for them to give me a solution, I tend to find one when I'm babbling. :) Plus, the emotional support is nice.

EarlyBird Portland
07/16/13 6:18 am

I learned early on it was in my best interest to become and stay financially independent. As long as I wasn't stuck in a relationship because of money, I would be fine.

MrLove lovers, dreamers and me
07/16/13 6:16 am

Mercury is in retrograde until the 20th. Things will get better after then. (I hope.)

MrLove lovers, dreamers and me
07/16/13 6:14 am

I bury it deep inside, I don't know why.

CarrieMarie Mad Science Crew
07/16/13 6:01 am

It's a bit of both. I pull away from most people, but have a select few I rely on more.

Kay41 the Midwest
07/16/13 5:53 am

I rely very much on my husband. It helps to have one person to feel your pain too.

flurry a
07/16/13 5:46 am

There are very few people that I trust, but I do seek support from the people that I do trust when going through a hard time.

DavesNotHere where am I
07/16/13 5:07 am

I've had to go it alone. It's taught me a lot of things about myself. Still have aways to go, but i am getting there. I need to be patient.

mim formerly 97123
07/16/13 5:03 am

No need to go it alone. If the people around me are too flaky, I'm not opposed to seeking the help of professional therapists for support.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
07/16/13 4:34 am

I'm like a giant need sucker, pulling in from every available resource until I'm bored.

Ernest Make it so
07/16/13 4:28 am

I find solace in solitude. I tend to push people out when going through hard times. I don't like to bring people down with my hardships. I guess you could say I'm somewhat stoic.

rlands
07/16/13 4:27 am

You have to rely on people, I think. They help you think straight, while if you're by yourself you tend to get caught up in the moment. They remind you that it's not that bad, you can get through it.

blujay5678
07/16/13 4:23 am

I find if you rely on people to much you can expect to be disappointed more, and most of the time you can always trust yourself, unless you're mentally insane and your mind plays tricks on you