Arkansas123 July 14th, 2013 6:48pm

Today is Bastille Day. In your opinion, should the French Revolution be celebrated (liberty, equality, fraternity), or do you believe it was a complete disaster (death and destruction)?

andrewser Miami Lakes
07/14/13 1:31 pm

Very ironic.... Males saying it was a complete disaster and females saying it was not....

boboli
07/14/13 2:49 pm

Why is that ironic?

Zack100 Tatooine
07/14/13 1:00 pm

The revolution was a complete failure in its main goal to oust the king and establish a new, fairer, government

Arkansas123 Neoconservative
07/14/13 1:27 pm

They overthrew a king and crowned an emperor, executed more than 40,000 "enemies of the Revolution," and attempted to create a state religion.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_of_Reason

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_of_the_Supreme_Being

bMyComrade Stumptown
07/14/13 12:21 pm

Both. I say this as a teacher of modern European history. It had grand intentions, and some really positive end results. But it was also a study in mob mentality and had some really negative repercussions as well. It's one of the many shades of gray.

boboli
07/14/13 12:11 pm

I think the Revolution was completely botched, but I see no reason not to observe Bastille Day. The storming of the Bastille was an important event in French history and showed the power of the common people.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/14/13 11:50 am

I think we should leave it up to the French - I suppose they could ask us the same question about Independence Day

CTYankee!!! Connecticut
07/14/13 12:06 pm

Really? Did our revolution lead to mass hysteria, beheadings and a sociopath to declare himself emperor?

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/14/13 12:09 pm

No - no it did not - but it did lead to a many years of slavery - we have our skeletons too

beanD California
07/14/13 12:26 pm

Did we not have slaves before the revolution?

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/14/13 12:32 pm

We absolutely did - I'm just saying history is history and whether its good or bad a country should be able to celebrate what they want. And there are plenty if things in our history I'm not proud of even though I'm proud of our country

CTYankee!!! Connecticut
07/14/13 4:01 pm

Our revolution didn't lead to slavery. In fact it helped end it - eventually.
The aftermaths of the American & French revolutions are night and day.