HayleyS July 14th, 2013 6:46am

Do you think that the idea of homophobia was created by the gay community to label people who disagree with them, or do you believe it is a real issue?

comppete Las Vegas
07/14/13 11:18 pm

It was more than likely started by the liberals. Just like how they are calling ALL white people racist these days.

Rocker saved by grace
07/14/13 4:14 pm

I don't know one person who is actually afraid of homosexuals

jpater Au2O3
07/14/13 9:40 am

Just yesterday I had a female friend while in line at the bank get asked to "please move away. You gays freak me out". This was in San Francisco... She was alone and dressed "normally".

MJSeals J.D.
07/14/13 8:23 am

If someone disagrees with homosexuality they are called a homophob, just because you disagree does not mean you are afraid of it, which is what a phobia is

EarlyBird Portland
07/14/13 6:54 am

Homophobia is very real but I think there should be a new word coined to describe those who are for the rights of gays yet don't agree or like the lifestyle.

commonsense America isnt racist
07/14/13 6:43 am

I've never known anyone to be afraid of a person from the gay community.
I think people use the term homophobe incorrectly.

Ive known people that Don't agree with, dislike, are sickened by them ,Yes.
Afraid, never.

Keldeo Laverre City
07/14/13 5:59 am

The gays certainly took it to their advantage. Now, all you have to do to be labeled "Homophobic" is disagree with the concept of gay marriage. One day, I hope we can progress enough to be more tolerant of beliefs.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
07/14/13 5:37 am

It certainly is not a creation by the gay community, either the word or the condition the word describes. It's a real thing in a descriptive sense. There are actually some who have a strong aversion or fear of homosexuality, which is irrational.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
07/14/13 1:41 am

I think it's real, but over-inflated by at least 100x

susanr Colorado
07/14/13 12:49 am

A phobia is not just an irrational fear, it can also be a dislike or aversion. I don't use the term homophobic because most people believe it has only the 1st meaning & don't see themselves as fearful of homosexuals. Using the term often just...

susanr Colorado
07/14/13 12:49 am

..leads to arguments & doesn't get us anywhere understanding each other.

HayleyS looking up.
07/14/13 12:52 am

I agree with you that it is just best to avoid the term. The different things it means to different people is a huge part of the controversy behind the word.

susanr Colorado
07/14/13 12:57 am

Yeah. It's like the word gets in the way of communication - the word becomes the argument. That's just pointless, in my opinion.

onendone On a Beach
07/14/13 12:33 am

I'm in no condition to engage in debate Hsim so I'll just say - great question

HayleyS looking up.
07/14/13 12:34 am

Haha thank you :)

trea33 Mississippi
07/14/13 12:24 am

I can see how the gay community might have invented the term as a label. Maybe it wasn't created as any kind of negative thing, but simply a name for a specific group of people. I'm not saying they DID create the term, however.

SarahD in your orbit
07/14/13 12:00 am

I'll just go ahead and say it. I'm gay and I've dealt with seriously homophobic people. However my best friend doesn't agree with homosexuality but is in no way homophobic. I've had people refuse to sit near me in class or at lunch and I've had

SarahD in your orbit
07/14/13 12:00 am

anonymous hate online really bad because of it. That is homophobia.

Zimmeress Make Me Laugh
07/14/13 12:25 am

I'm so sorry, honey. People just don't understand humanity anymore.

commonsense America isnt racist
07/14/13 6:46 am

@Sdonovan ,Your best friend doesn't agree with homosexuality and you're gay? I've heard a lot of people on here say they could never be friends with someone who disagrees with them in that regard. How do you do it?

HayleyS looking up.
07/14/13 7:55 am

Because her best friend is freaking awesome. That's how XD hahaha
But for real Sarah, I'd like to hear your answer to this.

SarahD in your orbit
07/14/13 7:58 am

She's my best friend. I can't just stop being friends with her. We disagree on a lot of things but we always make an effort to understand why the other feels the way they do. She doesn't treat me any differently. I'm referring to Hsim actually.

SarahD in your orbit
07/14/13 7:59 am

Too many people think they can't be friends with someone different than them. Hayley and I are proof that's BS. We respect each others opinions no matter what and it works out fine.

Octopus
07/13/13 11:59 pm

Why would gay people try to make their own lives even harder and create a term for justification of their own oppression? Obviously it's a real thing. I see it constantly.

SarahD in your orbit
07/14/13 12:01 am

Thank you! Great comment!

northcoreya Florida
07/13/13 11:55 pm

I heard some religious figure say once, "People come up to me after speeches saying they think sodomy is a sin and allowing gay marriage is immoral but they will not speak up because they don't want to be labeled homophobic."

SarahD in your orbit
07/13/13 11:56 pm

There is a difference between disagreeing with homosexuality and being homophobic.

northcoreya Florida
07/13/13 11:56 pm

This could support either answer: it shows people really do not approve of homosexuality, and also that homophobia has become a large social factor.

northcoreya Florida
07/13/13 11:58 pm

@sdonovan, I agree with you in the literal sense of the term. HomoPHOBIA is a fear of homosexuals. However, nowadays the phrase is often used to represent anyone opposed to gay rights... Unfortunate, yes.

Jungle in the dog house
07/13/13 11:53 pm

It was created by the homosexual community as part of it's agenda.

inge MIA
07/13/13 11:55 pm

What exactly is the gay agenda? Please explain

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
07/14/13 12:03 am

"Gay rights" is an agenda. There's organized gay groups seeking the advancement of legal rights. You can't deny there's an agenda. It's openly stated.

inge MIA
07/14/13 12:04 am

So equal rights is a bad thing? Asking for tolerance and acceptance is negative?

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
07/14/13 12:06 am

Why give rights to sexual perversion?

inge MIA
07/14/13 12:08 am

Is it hurting you? Is it leaving a victim? Why do you have the right to tell two consenting adults that their perversion should be illegal?

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
07/14/13 12:11 am

I wouldn't make their perversion illegal or say they can't do it, but I'll do my best to keep it from being legally sanctioned as marriage.

inge MIA
07/14/13 12:11 am

Love you ooke and we won't change each others minds so I'm jumping out now. I

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
07/14/13 12:11 am

They can do what they want, by if they want a legal document to recognize it then that's a matter of public policy. Voters have a right to their say.

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
07/14/13 12:12 am

I agree Inge. Me too. Have a good night. Bye.

inge MIA
07/13/13 11:52 pm

It is absolutely not a "gay creation". I've watch a friend beat in high school must for refusing to pretend he is something he's not. Whoever said its a gay creation needs a reality check.

SarahD in your orbit
07/13/13 11:53 pm

I posted a poll asking if anyone knows any self admitted homophobes. This question was inspired by one of the responses.

XercesBlue ...
07/13/13 11:52 pm

I thought it wasn't a real thing when I lived in a liberal town. After moving to a conservative down, I'm able to understand the term more.

XercesBlue ...
07/13/13 11:53 pm

Town*

It's not well accepted here, which is fine. To each, their own. To hear some people be so sharp about it catches you off guard.

Jungle in the dog house
07/13/13 11:57 pm

Why do you think conservatives are in fear of homosexuals?

KudosToYou California
07/14/13 4:03 am

They don't want the hurricanes to destroy cities or the like.

HayleyS looking up.
07/13/13 11:51 pm

I don't agree with homosexuality. But I am by no means a homophobic.

I know people who are openly homophobic. They take their disapproval to a whole different level.

I don't think it is an imaginary thing.

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
07/13/13 11:55 pm

Simply being against it is considered homophobic. If you defend your position then they'll say that you're taking it to a whole new level.

SarahD in your orbit
07/13/13 11:58 pm

Simply disagreeing is not homophobic.

HayleyS looking up.
07/13/13 11:58 pm

Some people may consider me being against it homophobic.

But I am talking about people who will stop eating at the lunch table with their friends because one of the girls there is a lesbian. And people who send anonymous online hate messages.

HayleyS looking up.
07/13/13 11:59 pm

Those people are homophobic. They will tell you to your face they they are homophobic.

I know a guy who wanted to get shirts made that said "I'm not a homophobic. Im a homo hater." He said he would sell them.

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
07/14/13 12:01 am

It's a word with no real definition because it's recently made up. Stick around SOH long enough and make a simple statement about how homosexuality is "wrong" or "immoral" or something like that. See if you're not suddenly a homophobe, redneck, etc.

HayleyS looking up.
07/14/13 12:02 am

I suppose the issue here is how you define homophobe.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
07/13/13 11:51 pm

Disagree w Okie, but think it was most likely created either by the LGBT community or the media. Racism wouldn't work obviously.

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
07/13/13 11:48 pm

"Homophobia" is an attempt to bully people into being afraid to boldly state their belief.

inge MIA
07/13/13 11:53 pm

I've watch homophobes physically hurt a friend in hopes to make him be who he is not. Please.

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
07/13/13 11:57 pm

Hurting someone for this reason is disgusting. They're not "homophobes" though. They're no different than any other bully who finds justification to beat someone up unjustly.

inge MIA
07/13/13 11:58 pm

How are they not homophobes? They beat him for the sole reason that he was gay.