Squidboy July 13th, 2013 11:39pm

Inspired by a comment to my previous question: Is a Band letter equal to a Football letter in HS? If you comment, let us know which one you earned (if any).

huskermedic Cincinnati
07/13/13 6:23 pm

It depends on the school I think. My school you could letter in academics or sports. Band was in the sport category. So all sports were the same as far as the letter was. But each sport had extra pins they could reward for good play.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
07/13/13 5:25 pm

My son lettered in forensics.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
07/13/13 5:04 pm

It's fascinating to see the poll results and people's comments. I earned two football letters and played piano. No time for marching band. I say no way for more reasons than can fit in this forum. But I would support comrades point of 'different.'

rk1222 Gone so soon
07/13/13 5:09 pm

To incorporate your previous question: do you believe band would be an equal indicator of academic success like team sports were in the study?

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
07/13/13 5:14 pm

Good question. I've been a hiring manager for 16 years & I can confirm the sports corollary. I can't say the same for band/non-athletic pursuits. However, I recognize my sample is anecdotal and may have confirmation bias since I am a jock.

rk1222 Gone so soon
07/13/13 5:23 pm

Haha! At least you're honest about your bias. I mean, I'm still an athlete (baseball player) but I find my band mates to be significantly smarter. Maybe it's just baseball players :P

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
07/13/13 5:43 pm

When it comes to career success, IQ is only part of the equation. EQ is more important but harder to measure.

rk1222 Gone so soon
07/13/13 5:49 pm

Being a hiring manager, how do you judge that?

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
07/13/13 5:54 pm

It takes experience and mistakes. What I look for is demonstrated character, integrity, initiative, empathy, social fluidity, teamwork, competitiveness, things like that. I'm not 100% but I'm far better than average.

rk1222 Gone so soon
07/13/13 5:58 pm

Sounds like you're good at what you do. Anyway, thanks for the conversation and for answering my questions.

rk1222 Gone so soon
07/13/13 4:59 pm

Because it was my comment that inspired the question: I say definitely. I say this is regards to specifically marching band. We sweat, we practice, we attend every game and we work as a cohesive team. By all these accounts I think it's a sport.

rk1222 Gone so soon
07/13/13 5:02 pm

Oh, and I have a letter and am continuing to earn pins for marching band.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
07/13/13 5:27 pm

Music uses the math area of your brain also.

rk1222 Gone so soon
07/13/13 5:31 pm

In AP Statistics this past year, I did a study and found strong, positive correlation between being in a music course and grades in math class (I didn't test other courses).

Emily33 North Carolina
07/13/13 4:51 pm

Well, I earned one for swimming, but at our high school, they kind of just handed them out to every athlete. That and we didnt have a football team.

bMyComrade Stumptown
07/13/13 4:45 pm

Not equal, but not unequal. Just different - one athletic, one activity. I have a letter full of band pins, with one track pin. But I did work harder for my band pins, just personal preference there.

beanD California
07/13/13 4:42 pm

It just seems like a band letter would be trying too hard... But in all honesty it SHOULD be! Nothing in high school is the way it SHOULD be.

Kris Humidity Central
07/13/13 4:41 pm

I didn't get a letter for band, I got one for robotics. Which is equally as opposed by many who claim it is no where near a sport.

beanD California
07/13/13 4:45 pm

It isn't a sport, but it's way cooler than football.

Kris Humidity Central
07/13/13 4:47 pm

It's a sport of the mind. It's not way by a long shot, and we put in more hours than any other athletic. Not to mention there are physical aspects involved.