kc17 July 13th, 2013 5:43am

Should students be allowed to grade their teachers?

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
07/13/13 6:54 pm

Yes, but it shouldn't be the only basis for continuing their employment.

07/13/13 8:32 pm

Agreed because lets be honest... Honesty is not a universal quality of teenagers nowadays (I would know because I am one haha). However, I do think that they should be taken into account. Generally if a teacher is bad enough to be fired, even the

07/13/13 8:33 pm

Most dishonest kids will be fairly accurate about it.

barbearnj Dreaming of Banff
07/13/13 3:56 am

An informal assessment might be okay - even fun or helpful. As a first grade teacher, I get evaluated every day with hugs and other expressions of affection. Seriously, a good teacher knows how she is doing and a bad teacher doesn't care.

07/13/13 6:49 am

Right. I want in charge people to know though. Because those who don't care do not deserve to be there in my opinion.

XercesBlue ...
07/13/13 12:04 am

In college, yes. In high school or grade school, no.

07/13/13 12:09 am

Why not in high school? If students would do so honestly, I think it would be great! Im in high school right now an I couldn't tell you how many horrible teachers I have had who take advantage of their job and do literally nothing. Its not fair at

07/13/13 12:09 am

All to those of us who actually want to learn and do well in the class.

Jungle in the dog house
07/12/13 11:30 pm

No. I would've graded all my female teachers on looks, and male teachers on personality and leniency.

07/13/13 12:05 am

Thats the only catch. It would be hard to trust students to grade teachers honestly based on performance and not those things that you mentioned.

07/13/13 12:06 am

Yep, I totally agree. Its really sad, especially for students that actually want to learn but get stuck not getting to do anything because of a lazy teacher..

07/13/13 12:06 am

Oh sorry that was supposed to be on the other one. Haha awkward.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/12/13 10:45 pm

They do, it's on ratemyprofessor.

07/12/13 10:48 pm

Not for high school and stuff though! Im talking universally. And then that those grades are actually taken seriously.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/12/13 11:07 pm

Hmm, well, in New York, the schools have started doing teacher evaluations at the end of the class. I don't know how seriously they're taken, though.

07/12/13 11:09 pm

Really? Thats great! I really hope they start doing it in all schools, starting in high school. Theres just too many teachers who don't deserve to be there and take advantage of it, which really needs to change.. Haha

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/12/13 11:19 pm

Here's the thing - tenure and unions. Teachers can do nothing and essentially be guaranteed to keep their jobs.

07/12/13 11:23 pm

I know, unfortunately I've witnessed it and been in those classes before several times and I absolutely hate it.... Its so annoying. Students deserve more, I think.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/12/13 11:28 pm

I completely agree. The academic system is getting screwed over in this nation because of greed and political bullcrap.

07/13/13 12:07 am

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/13/13 12:10 am

Unfortunately, many kids don't have any desire to learn, and many parents have to desire to try and fix the broken system.

07/13/13 12:13 am

Yeah but great teachers can make kids excited about it! Thats what the system lacks-Teachers that are passionate about what they teach. Ive had amazing teachers turn my least favorite subjects into my favorite by their teaching. Thats what we need.