Wert December 28th, 2016 2:44am

Turning off Candidate polls, news and comments doesn't appear to work at all.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
12/27/16 11:29 pm

If you haven't figured out by now, the cracksquad SOH staff (such as @jaysin586 ) stopped giving any fucks long ago. It's impossible to get them to actually do their jobs and fix the bugs. For instance, the bug that sometimes displays comments out of order that's been around for about a year and has been reported to them numerous times.

You're just gonna have to deal with it.

Wert A picture of my junk
12/27/16 11:33 pm

I guess I'll have to downgrade to casual complaints, then.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
12/27/16 11:35 pm

All we can do is bitch and moan and talk shit about the staff.

susanr Colorado
12/28/16 7:37 pm

How about that guy who's changed his profile picture to the SOH logo? (He was Jedi97 for ages but he's changed his user name a couple times; now he's Pollcaster97 I think.)

And he's posted over 100 polls in the last 24 hours (and over 50 per day in the last 5-6 days, at least, before that). So he's flooding The Tap with the SOH logo polls.

Earlier this month he had changed his logo to the SOH logo and posted a poll asking if he should change his username to "Show of Hands" (which wouldn't work because of the spaces, but I wonder if "ShowOfHands" would work). Folks, including me, said no. I also let him know that using the SOH logo was agains SOH rules, giving him the URL for the rules page. He asked me to copy the part of the rules that said so into a comment (GEEZ! but I did it) and he changed back to another profile pic.

But now he's done it again...

susanr Colorado
12/28/16 7:42 pm

So this time I decided not to say anything to the user about it. (I don't get paid to babysit these people.) When I noticed the change yesterday I did a screen shot of a few of his polls and posted it on the beta testers' G+ page, wrote a post about what he's doing, and the history of him doing it previously & being informed that it was against SOH rules, and included the info about how many polls he's posting, and tagged the 2 staff members who are (less and less frequently) active there.

Reaction so far: silence.

I know it's a holiday week, but... Seriously, something like that would have dealt with very, very fast, previously.

I truly don't understand the total change of attitude, especially about something like this.

susanr Colorado
12/28/16 7:47 pm

(I honestly don't think that *most* of the issues we're seeing are attributable to bad attitudes on the part of the actual staff. I think they've just been pulled off of SOH work almost entirely, and have been reassigned to other work, and can only do emergency-type work on SOH, like when the servers screw up or are unresponsive. That sort of stuff does seem to get attended to promptly.

I just thought that flagrant misuse of the SOH logo would fall into that sort of category too.

Apparently not.)

susanr Colorado
12/28/16 8:03 pm

Actually I misspoke; there were only about 40 polls in the last 24 hours; it was the 24 hours prior to that when there were ~100 posted. Overall there have been 1066 polls in just under 2 months.

Oh dammit; now I've badmouthed a user in a public poll and actually named them, so I've broken rules myself. CRAP CRAP CRAP. I hate myself. What the hell is wrong with me.

Wert A picture of my junk
12/28/16 8:39 pm

I've purposely avoided uttering his name. But, yeah. Prolific poster.

susanr Colorado
12/28/16 8:55 pm

W: *Really* wishing I hadn't.

L: =:-)

susanr Colorado
12/27/16 7:55 pm

Have you unfollowed any candidates that you were following?

I know that stuff was problematic (for me as well as others, at some point months ago), and as so often happens to me, I've forgotten what the resolution was, but I think following them was part of the problem.

Try that, anyway. I haven't been following any of them for ages, and haven't gotten notifications for ages. And yes, just turning off notifications *ought* to work.

I wish they'd remove the whole section, frankly. It's long past any useful stage.

susanr Colorado
12/27/16 7:57 pm

I wonder if it could be removed, or deactivated, without having to do an app update. Probably not. I hope we don't have to look at it for the next 4 years.

Wert A picture of my junk
12/27/16 8:01 pm

Ah. I forgot about the follow control. Found it and unfollowed. Hopefully that takes care of it. Thanks for the suggestion. You're just the awesomestistness.

susanr Colorado
12/27/16 8:02 pm

Yeah don't thank me until it actually works.
=:-)

Wert A picture of my junk
12/27/16 8:03 pm

Heh. I thank you anyway. It's worth a shot. Hope it works. I'm so sick of seeing those useless polls.

susanr Colorado
12/27/16 8:08 pm

I fully understand. If you turn the notifications off, you really shouldn't be getting them, so it's not very intuitive to have to unfollow.

Notifications are a little buggy, at least at times. I've had some issues with them recently that don't seem to affect others, which is even weirder. One of those (not getting notifications at all when someone tags me) seems to have cleared up.