Cole12 December 27th, 2016 7:05pm

If multiculturalism is harmful, why are extremely multicultural cities - NYC, London, LA, Toronto - so successful and such great places to live?

dxstap Bloomington, Indiana
12/27/16 10:09 pm

I liked London a lot.
Don't agree that NYC LA and Toronto are great places to live.

Torfin Never Behind
12/27/16 6:49 pm

You haven't been to London in a while have you. Being multi-cultural and multiculturalism are very different things.

arctostaphylos Ankh Morpork, New York
12/27/16 6:02 pm

Multiculturalism is only harmful to the advancement of ethically and intellectually bankrupt ideologies.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
12/27/16 5:39 pm

Because we're better educated and disregard fake news.

ozzy
12/27/16 5:09 pm

They are not successful and many parts are terrible places to live

17millionTwats Leeds, UK
12/27/16 4:25 pm

I support multiculturalism but London is the worst place to live in the UK - without question

Mark3
12/27/16 4:09 pm

They aren't.

rons Thanks America
12/27/16 4:04 pm

What the hell is multiculturalism anyway?

rons Thanks America
12/27/16 4:03 pm

You think Queens or Brooklyn are similar to Palm Beach? New York's money takes a train every night to Connecticut, or West Chester or New Jersey. But the Upper west side is good.

ElSordo Hacia el Oeste
12/27/16 2:40 pm

Those who oppose multiculturalism (I do not identify as such, but I think all ideas deserve to be fairly represented) are not saying that there will be severe economic consequences from it. They say there will be social, cultural decay. Frankly I can't say I admire the cultures of big cities like those, though I don't blame that on multiculturalism. It does however allow me to understand the point they are making, the distinction between economic and cultural issues. In addition even if they do believe multiculturalism lends itself to economic problems, I'm sure even they would acknowledge that it's not the only and probably not the most significant economic issue. A myriad of factors lend themselves to economic success, and culture is only one of those when analyzing the financial success of a major city

Metamorphosis
12/27/16 2:12 pm

I think at the core is a fear of the unknown among rural Americans. They are confident and embrace their familiar rural surroundings but lack confidence in unfamiliar surroundings. The urban lifestyle builds confidence in one's ability to handle many different situations and many different types of people.

dfish at home
12/27/16 2:06 pm

I wouldn't say they are great places to live at all!

dfish at home
12/27/16 2:08 pm

Also all of those places self segregate, like prison. All the Koreans wanna stay together in koreatown, Mexicans live in Mexican neighborhoods, and so on and so on.

Kay41 the Midwest
12/27/16 2:03 pm

I don't think multiculturalism is a bad thing at all. I don't understand why people think it is. I've heard their reasons, but I just don't buy it.

dfish at home
12/27/16 2:08 pm

Forcing anything is usually a bad idea

Kay41 the Midwest
12/27/16 2:13 pm

Multiculturalism is the existence of multiple cultural traditions within a single country, usually considered in terms of the culture associated with an aboriginal ethnic group and foreigner ethnic groups.

Multiculturalism: the preservation of different cultures or cultural identities within a unified society, asa state or nation.

How is that forcing anything??

dfish at home
12/27/16 2:37 pm

Are you saying it's something that cannot be forced?

Kay41 the Midwest
12/27/16 2:42 pm

I'm saying that multiculturalism as a concept is not inherently forced and most often is not.

dfish at home
12/27/16 2:59 pm

I'd disagree

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
12/27/16 2:00 pm

Saw an interesting stat today....the two safest cities in the US.....are NYC & SFO.

ZaQ777 Pittsburgh
12/27/16 12:51 pm

I'm not an opponent of multiculturalism, nor am I remotely conservative, and I'd hate to live in any of those places.

jadeburt Ann Arbor, Michigan
12/27/16 12:35 pm

I would hate to live in any one of those cities and as such disagree with the very premise of the question that those are great places to live.

nsmith Suck on my freedom
12/27/16 12:19 pm

Why do they have the highest murder and crime rates? Also what makes you think they are great places to live? No person I know wants to live in any of those big cities.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
12/27/16 12:16 pm

Whether somewhere is a "great place to live" is subjective. Also, correlation does not equal causation. Multiculturalism could very well be the cause of success in cities, but I don't see you providing any proof to back it up.

CDFL alt right, alt snowflake
12/27/16 12:18 pm

The point is it's not causing harm, not necessarily that it's the cause

Cole12 ...
12/27/16 12:20 pm

True - multiculturalism may not be the reason why these cities are so prosperous. However, this poll is mostly aimed at SOH's alt-right contingent, who believe that multiculturalism always causes disorder, and I'm providing some examples to show that this isn't the case.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
12/27/16 12:26 pm

Oh, I see what you mean. My apologies for the misinterpretation.

Cole12 ...
12/27/16 12:32 pm

Not your fault! I probably should've been clearer in the poll.

Luftwaffe South of Heaven
12/27/16 1:01 pm

Wow, you're using the cities that have high crime rates and areas where ethnic groups self segregate to shows the benefits of Multiculturalism...

Luftwaffe South of Heaven
12/27/16 12:15 pm

Because Europeans built them, and they're not the best places to live.

Cole12 ...
12/27/16 12:15 pm

If white people were mostly raised in big cities rather than bleach-white suburbs, the world would be a much better place. Multiculturalism is a great thing, and for the most part, only those who haven't experienced multiculturalism think otherwise.

Luftwaffe South of Heaven
12/27/16 12:18 pm

I've experienced Multiculturalism, nothing special and no one got superpowers from it. The most that happened was Chinese and Mexican restaurants with some of the Mexican kids harassing Trump supporters. In the predominantly black areas in my town I don't visit since it has the highest crime rates.

Luftwaffe South of Heaven
12/27/16 12:18 pm

No, I just need to leave those multicultural cities :)

CDFL alt right, alt snowflake
12/27/16 12:19 pm

Uh oh bad news for you buddy. If you don't go to places with high crime rates you may need to leave the US

CDFL alt right, alt snowflake
12/27/16 12:21 pm

Also soh srsly get the order/times of comments sorted out

Luftwaffe South of Heaven
12/27/16 12:23 pm

Yeah, I know, but this app hasn't updated in a while

PyroSadist like my comments follow
12/27/16 12:13 pm

New York City is a great place to live? Well you are delusional

PyroSadist like my comments follow
12/27/16 1:23 pm

And I don't know about London or Toronto but LA isn't exactly Shangri-La either from what I understand.

Nik
12/27/16 12:08 pm

The opposite of multiculturalism is what's bad!