Blarney December 27th, 2016 4:09am

Aside from financial gains or religious purposes, what is the point of getting married?

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
12/28/16 4:11 pm

Marriage is a formal and formalized declaration of commitment between two persons, and historically a binding tie between two families as well. It creates links of obligation and responsibility between people that might not exist, otherwise. It provides for the care and keeping of wealth and children, thus providing for future generations of those families.

It is an alliance cemented by the law, be it social, civil, or the Church.

One of the drawbacks of current culture is the emphasis upon romantic love in this relationship without similar emphasis upon the responsibility and commitment aspect.

What keeps marriages happy and successful is both. Commitment without love is misery and can be dangerous (abusive relationships); love without commitment cannot survive hard times and usually does not outlast the "honeymoon".

💍💟

ronderman North Carolina
12/27/16 4:40 pm

There is safety in knowing you will be with the same person for life. In today's age of easy divorce, this attribute has lessened. I know that my wife and I will stay married until death. For us, it's a commitment before God that we have made to each other.

MrsCrayonWax
12/27/16 1:07 pm

Commitment

Asylumfries
12/27/16 12:12 pm

I said IDK but I really want to have a wedding. I never had a quincinera(however you spell that) or a bat mitsvah or a sweet 16. So I mean big party to celebrate love sounds great. But before these things were about love they were about making sure when your daughter gets pregnant you indeed get 2 goats.

ACEGUY Young Businessman
12/27/16 9:54 am

Love I guess? Idk

Celadonne ballfield
12/27/16 8:54 am

spiritual (but not necessarily religious) and legal commitment each other

chinito Florida
12/27/16 7:20 am

Stability for you, your spouse and your children.

Carcano Luke 10 19
12/27/16 6:55 am

"Aside from gaining nutrients, stopping hunger pains, and experiencing good flavor, what reason is there to eat food?"

googer11 Minnesota
12/27/16 6:09 am

Having children. I will never marry again because I'm too old for more children.

Wackacrat Harford County
12/27/16 3:38 am

Committing to each other at the very least. Committing to your family would be the core reason.

Isomax TIC TOC
12/27/16 1:30 am

Belonging to the one you truly love. In yours and Gods eyes. It's important to some.

jmw7477 Indiana
12/27/16 1:05 am

It's having that extra commitment to each other. For some, the religious ceremony is important. For some, the wedding is just something they've always dreamed of.

asia
12/27/16 12:04 am

Some commitment for raising children

Diogenes FreeMeBe
12/26/16 9:50 pm

Perfectly blissful harmony whose resonance always improves in some way from day to day.

Blarney Wrightville
12/26/16 10:41 pm

Couldn't this be obtained from simply being in a healthy relationship?

chinito Florida
12/27/16 7:12 am

In theory it could but in practice it doesn't happen as often.