BeachSt December 26th, 2016 9:19pm

The first page of the Virginia 2017 Travel Guife features a letter from the Governor. One paragraph is dedicated to inviting LGBT familes and ensuring a "safe, welcoming and fun vacation." Do you support the Governor's inclusion message?

Mattlajoie Georgia
12/28/16 6:03 pm

I support it because he is encouraging more tourism and helping the economy, also even though I do not agree with the idea of marriage between homosexuals, I do believe that they should never be harassed and that they should be protected in the same way as heterosexual families.

Domino3 Abolish the ATF
12/28/16 10:53 am

Assuming it's not safe anywhere else in America?

MrsCrayonWax
12/28/16 9:12 am

I think that it's sad that it has to be said.

cowboy Dawns Highway
12/27/16 7:48 am

Terry McAuliffe's mental disorder is well known. He tried to get rapists and murderers to vote for Hillary.

Manodrizzle Here
12/26/16 9:15 pm

What's a guife?

Senate101 San Diego
12/26/16 8:09 pm

I do, as long as he wishes everyone the same.

MrMilkdud
12/26/16 6:28 pm

No. I don't think specific groups should be singled out. That's not equality, that's favoritism.

12/26/16 6:54 pm

You dont know its equality until its singled out. Straight is always assumed, therefore minority groups have to be mentioned. Thats the privilege that comes with being the majority, you're the assumed object.

MrMilkdud
12/26/16 6:57 pm

No, a simple "everyone is welcome" does not mean "white, straight people are welcome." What you're describing is paranoia of exclusion by groups who think they need a special invitation.

12/26/16 6:58 pm

After hundreds of years of exclusion, a simple paragraph doesnt hurt anyone.

MrMilkdud
12/26/16 7:01 pm

It's like a passive aggressive mother in law or irritatingly insecure college girl who makes a big deal about not going to a party unless she's personally invited and everyone makes a big deal about how they want her there.
You have your equality, now learn to live with it without demanding special treatment.

12/26/16 7:16 pm

Its more like the beginning of a short lived relationship where you pay more attention to your exciting partner, make sure they feel happy and excited and then the love dies and that partner just becomes like everyone else.

MrMilkdud
12/26/16 7:21 pm

Great, then be like everyone else and stop expecting special treatment.

12/26/16 7:25 pm

It's the beginning of the relationship. We just celebrated one year this past June. But we're still waiting for employment protections like every other historically disenfranchised minority has. But not gays... but dont mention the community, right?

12/26/16 7:27 pm

Until we all have the same protections, messages of welcoming are important. States and cities are realizing this. Virginia is far from the only state or municipaility including this message. Even the largest conservative city here lobbied for lgbt inclusion messages.

MrMilkdud
12/26/16 7:31 pm

It's just a marketing scheme to get gay money. Any self respecting gay person should resent this sort of kit glove treatment for the reasons I've already stated.

MrMilkdud
12/26/16 7:34 pm

But hey, if you fall for this sort of nonsense and mistake it for genuine acceptance, then good luck with that. The only way to be truly accepted as equals is to presume it is so.

12/26/16 7:37 pm

Oh milk! We know that progressives would never use minorities in a demeaning manner to promote their own agenda. That's why the DNC has been advocating for LGBT rights for 200 years now!

MrMilkdud
12/26/16 7:41 pm

Hey, maybe I should be offended that Hawaii hasn't written a paragraph in their brochure encouraging whites to come visit there. Whites have always been a minority in Hawaii, and that makes me feel bad about myself as a white person.
I think Hawaii needs to reach out to me a little bit more than other groups to make me feel more comfortable about vacationing there.

MrMilkdud
12/26/16 7:43 pm

And Provincetown, Massachusetts is a gay-majority town that caters to gay tourism. I think it's about time that they add some material to their tourism portfolio expressly encouraging hetero-tourism. We've been underrepresented in that community for too long and I demand they make me feel better about it!

12/26/16 8:40 pm

No - milk! We need to check our privilege.

Liberty 4,032,064
12/26/16 5:55 pm

That's very odd. Does it have a page dedicated to normal couples or are they to be excluded?

12/26/16 6:54 pm

A message ensuring safety for straight couples doesnt need to be included..

Liberty 4,032,064
12/26/16 7:20 pm

Wow. What makes their safety less important?

12/26/16 7:24 pm

Really? Dont be silly. Safety from targeted attackd only applies to minorities, largely. Are you aware the worst mass shooting happened this year and it was against gays? We need assurances. It surprising how many people cant think about that (compassion) and can only think about how this slights them...

Liberty 4,032,064
12/26/16 7:31 pm

Oh wow that really is nuts. Why wouldn't people not in a special elevated group need safety as well?

Liberty 4,032,064
12/26/16 7:31 pm

Also, the Orlando killer was gay himself. The only "targeting" he did was because he got turned down at the club.

spicysteve M14D SBS
12/26/16 3:50 pm

I like the sentiment, but I think it's best to keep politics out of something like a travel brochure

12/26/16 6:55 pm

Actually youre wrong. Gay vacationers are sought after because they spend so much money. There's articles on this. Places are vying for gay people.

rons Thanks America
12/26/16 3:50 pm

Just a target for money.
They left out blacks and Chinese
www.vatc.org/home/

dxstap Bloomington, Indiana
12/26/16 3:39 pm

I'm all for inclusion but don't think a written statement on a tourism guide is necessary.
Too many words for a relatively small % of people.

"Everyone is welcome including people of all races, colors, sexual identity (biological or psychological), left or right handed, political ideals, people born on February 29th, everyone, except for anyone who doesn't fit in one of the aforementioned categories."

dxstap Bloomington, Indiana
12/26/16 3:43 pm

Oops
Left out something regarding a persons relative level of intelligence or lack thereof.

pietsch Another Adoring Fan
12/26/16 3:35 pm

Sick of hearing about it. I don't care what people do, quite frankly, but why does it have it be a big theme all the time? So boring.

12/26/16 6:56 pm

Because inclusion isnt inclusion if you dont mentioned those finally being included. Otherwise it just feels like the past 50 years of not even mentioning it

EarlyBird Portland
12/26/16 3:32 pm

I approve. Very no very.

MrMilkdud
12/26/16 7:54 pm

Is that some trendy new LGBT slang? You're always up on that sort of thing, eb.

medicalmoose
12/26/16 2:46 pm

Why does it even have to be said? It's 2016, soon to be 2017, and seriously most of us don't care at all. If you want to be LGBT, good for you, and I'm super happy for you to find happiness in the world. Yes, we should seek out bad people and punish them if they abuse LGBT, or anyone! But why do we have to go out of our way to do this? Can't we just be human and practice life by the golden rule?

sydwel
12/26/16 3:24 pm

The deadliest attack ever against the LGBT community in the US occurred in 2016. A president with at the most a mixed record on LGBT issues and VP with horrific views on the LGBT community were elected in 2016. It is *not* necessarily a given that LGBT people will be accepted or even treated with basic decency. Sure, in an ideal world it wouldn't need to be said. But we don't live in an ideal world.

12/26/16 3:30 pm

Haha! That's laughable. Meanwhile, liberals are embracing Islam which has very anti-homosexual viewpoints. How do you all keep all of your hypocrisy straight?

sydwel
12/26/16 3:34 pm

My statements are accurate. Sorry you find hatred of LGBT people amusing. I have major issues with Islam and religion in general. It's not hypocritical to oppose religious violence, government religious discrimination, and homophobia.

12/26/16 3:35 pm

Hate is not amusing. The distorted logic that was used in your comment is quite humorous. Of course, you knew that, but you wanted quick and easy style points.

sydwel
12/26/16 3:40 pm

Hahaha, the rudeness is fantastic. I highlighted reality, but if you have a counterargument, go right ahead. That was my only intent. Comments here are by nature are relatively "quick and easy", it's not a convenient place for writing an essay.

12/26/16 4:42 pm

I don't expect an essay. I just expect a little bit of thought.

sydwel
12/26/16 4:42 pm

Do you actually have a counterargument or just petty personal attacks?

sydwel
12/26/16 7:21 pm

So yes to pettiness, no to argument! You get points for consistency at least.

12/26/16 7:34 pm

Is the kettle calling the pot black?

sydwel
12/26/16 7:47 pm

I actually offered a position. I didn't insult your intelligence instead of discussing or anything like that.

I'm genuinely sorry if I've been nasty to you before. Although I don't recall any time I've done so, that wouldn't be acceptable.
But I should know better than to engage with you on any topic so I will stop.

12/26/16 8:38 pm

I addressed the hypocrisy above. I grow frustrated when my comments are taken out of context and spun into a million different directions, but I'm used to it. I have stayed on task throughout this discussion.

sydwel
12/26/16 8:43 pm

You can present an argument to my original comment, point out the hypocrisy you see in my comments (what, you can't oppose both religion and homophobia?), refrain from insults, or we can leave it here. Thanks.

12/26/16 8:46 pm

I've already did. I'm not going to redo a conversation with you just because you were being difficult by saying things such as, "I don't find hate to be humorous" when that wasn't even my argument.

12/26/16 8:47 pm

Oh....And don't forget the "essay" comment. Throughout this whole thread, you have tried to derail the conversation. Don't try to frame me for your own doings.

12/26/16 2:41 pm

Does it have a page dedicated to straights too?

12/26/16 6:58 pm

Straights dont have to check acceptance of themselves before traveling.

12/26/16 7:16 pm

I think you care more about sexual orientation than most people.

12/26/16 7:17 pm

Thats the privilege of not having to care about your safety thats showing.

12/26/16 7:22 pm

There is actually a safety for LGBT travelers site on the state dept to help travelers know where is safe for them to travel. Dont be ignorant just because you dont have to live it. Have a little understanding.

travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/go/lgbt.html

12/26/16 7:33 pm

Oh please! Jump out of the fantasy world that you are in. You don't need a page dedicated to LGBT people. That's contrary to the principle of equality that you claim to want.

12/26/16 7:49 pm

Are you serious? Even you yourself constantly bring up the anti-gay sentiments of the muslim community and you think a travel page warning of the attitutudes of some places is unecessary?? Pick a damn stance dude..

12/26/16 8:24 pm

My stance is quite clear. The hypocrisy of the left to embrace the religion of Islam and gays is mind boggling, but you know that.