gow488 December 23rd, 2016 2:40am

Do you find local history interesting?

17millionTwats Leeds, UK
12/24/16 6:32 pm

In Wales it goes like this:
Celts
Oppression by Romans
Oppression by Normans
Oppression by English
Found Coal
Exploitation by English
Coal ran out
Left on side to die by English

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
12/23/16 10:57 am

To a certain extent I suppose, but we leave history in the past for a reason.

musiman28 Cotton country
12/23/16 6:10 am

Very much so. Texas schools do Texas history in 7th grade, and my school did a whole section on the history of tge county I grew up in. I was already interested in history and I loved it. I grew up in a town started and named for the founder of Post cereals, his daughter actually designed and had built Mara Lago, now owned by Trump.

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
12/23/16 7:36 pm

Ironically, Ms. Post envisioned Mara Lago as a future winter retreat for American presidents...

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
12/22/16 11:04 pm

Yes, one of my hobbies is collecting artifacts and books related to local history.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
12/22/16 10:58 pm

Last year I did my history project on the history of farming in my community, particularly the Grange. Fascinating stuff.

Brandon2018 Stocks Are Overvalued
12/22/16 8:34 pm

Well washington walked within 1,000 feet from my house and crossed the delaware less than a mile from my house, so most certainly its an interesting history my area has.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/22/16 8:27 pm

Yes. One of my friends just published a book about local shipwrecks. Sir Francis Drake made port here in 1580 just down the coast a little bit.

KatG Liberal in Ohio
12/22/16 8:17 pm

Yes. We have the birthplace of Annie Oakley and the spot where they signed a peace treaty with the Native Americans. Our museum is fantastic.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/22/16 8:28 pm

I loved Annie Oakley I had to dress like hers

EarlyBird Portland
12/22/16 8:10 pm

Both Oregon and Portland have fascinating histories.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/22/16 8:28 pm

My daughter used to work at a pizza-bar place down here and they still have the trap door from when they shanghaied sailors.

EarlyBird Portland
12/22/16 8:34 pm

I would love to take a tour of Portlands underground. Fascinating.

ctskapski x
12/22/16 7:54 pm

My town used to have a wild-west themed park, closed in the 80s.
We had nature parks for ages, but they converted to state parks recently. We have a lot of film history.
Scenes were filmed from Legend, Moonraker, Creature from the Black Lagoon, the original Tarzans.

We even have wild monkeys.
It's a neat part of Florida.

catpillow Florida West Coast
12/22/16 8:13 pm

You must be in or near Ocala, right?

ctskapski x
12/22/16 8:38 pm

We call it horseland-oldpeopleville.

catpillow Florida West Coast
12/22/16 8:56 pm

Remember that when you live in Florida you never get old. You are always either young until the average age of nearly everyone else. 🙄

The last time I was there I was going to college in Gainesville and took a trip to Silver Springs park when it was a tourist attraction. I remember seeing the monkeys and being told about the Creature movie. I also remember live gators just sitting around sunning themselves where anyone could walk up and touch them.

I also remember going to a restaurant nearby that served delicious "pacific blue dolphin", which was the first time I ate mahi-mahi.

Now I'm retired, and living on the other coast of Florida. I'm still young though, because most of my neighbors are older.
We don't have monkeys over here yet.

ctskapski x
12/23/16 1:30 am

I think they live predominantly on a small island on the silver ricer, due to some fool in the early 1900s thinking they'd bring a crowd.
Who knew monkeys can be good escapists?
Not that guy.

They're rhesus monkeys, I think.

(Average age here is pretty derned old.)

gow488 Korea
12/22/16 7:48 pm

I find the history of southeast Wisconsin really interesting and I'm disappointed that I didn't learn more about it in school because the area has such a unique history. For example most of the mayors and a lot of other government officials in Milwaukee from 1910 to 1960 were members of the socialist party of America and nowhere else in the U.S. was like that. The only other major city to elect a socialist mayor was Minneapolis and that guy only lasted two years. Plus different parts of Milwaukee even went to war with each other at one point which is really interesting.

gow488 Korea
12/22/16 11:32 pm

It's kind of crazy to think that the area I live in was once the most socialist place in America and even had a socialist mayor during the Cold War and McCarthyism. Nowadays it's completely differently.