bluerum29 December 20th, 2016 12:59am

Relationship Bracket poll series: which would be more damaging to a relationship long term? Having few to no similar interests or having very different religious/spiritual beliefs?

Torfin Never Behind
12/20/16 9:22 am

Both can be very bad for a relationship

clmcd42 Texas
12/20/16 2:10 am

My girlfriend is a Christian. I'm an atheist. I've made it clear to her that I don't believe in her beliefs, and she has made it clear to me that she does. Neither of us care, it just doesn't matter. It can definitely work if you're not incessantly trying to convert your partner to your set of beliefs.

clmcd42 Texas
12/20/16 2:11 am

We're going on our third year together, so I think it probably could work long term if it's worked this long.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
12/20/16 7:24 am

How would you raise children? What faith? As someone who is religious, going to church as a family is very important to me. That would be hard to do with opposing views

bcorr17 T FOR TEMPLE U
12/20/16 11:13 am

Same between me and my girlfriend who are now close to 4 years together.

clmcd42 Texas
12/20/16 11:24 am

We haven't talked much about what religion our kids would be, so I don't really know what her thoughts are.

I'd be OK with her taking them to get water sprinkled on their foreheads or whatever, I'd probably even go with her for that one if she really wanted me to, but I don't think children should be indoctrinated from such a young age. If it is so apparent that there is a god and that Christianity is true, then why does it have to be taught to kids before they are old enough to differentiate between truth and lies? That would be my argument. My girlfriend is not afraid of having her positions challenged, so I am quite sure we could work something out. If the kids want to go to church when they're a little bit older, I would be totally fine with that.

clmcd42 Texas
12/20/16 11:31 am

I realize that some people such as you, bluerum, feel strongly about going to church as a family, and therefore, by proxy, that all family members should be the same religion. That is a luxury that Christians are afforded, since most of the American population is Christian.

Atheists, on the other hand, would be severely limiting their options to say that they only date people with no faith, since it is actually quite rare to meet somebody who openly professes to being an atheist. Atheists do not wear "atheist necklaces" or any other kind of identification.

Plus, personally, I find it silly to restrict my options in that manner anyway.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/20/16 12:33 am

You can't have a successful relationship without a common religious foundation. It just won't work long-term. Religion deals with the very most important questions and answers in life, and if a husband and wife do not agree on those, they will likely not agree on anything.

sea California
12/19/16 10:10 pm

I would say religious differences. I feel like I would have such a shallow relationship.

ZaQ777 Pittsburgh
12/19/16 7:29 pm

Ideological differences is a complete deal breaker.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
12/19/16 7:11 pm

I think it probably depends on how different the religious beliefs are and if you respect each other's beliefs.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
12/19/16 6:03 pm

Why would I waste my time with somebody who doesn't share many interests? Defeats the entire purpose.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
12/19/16 6:06 pm

I really don't care what their religious beliefs are, as long as the feeling is mutual and they don't attempt to force anything on me.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
12/19/16 6:00 pm

While interests would be difficult throughout the relationship and cause many problems, I couldn't get past religious differences.