12/19/16 9:33 pm

Carlyle is a stubborn, secretive man that seems to have allowed the evolution of the way the game is played in this league to pass him by. He's like the hockey equivalent of Jeff Fisher.

12/19/16 9:33 pm

Whoops. Out of context that comment won't make sense to anyone lol. Scroll down.

12/19/16 11:43 pm

Makes perfect sense to me lol. So what's the long term for the Rams? I'd say Kyle Shanahan to be the QB guru for Goff, but the hot rumor now is that he may replace Kubiak.

12/19/16 11:45 pm

Replace Kubiak? What on earth makes you think his job is in any jeopardy?

12/19/16 11:48 pm

I just heard it on ESPN radio. "Health issues." I hope it's wrong. I try to stay close to the Broncos situation, and Kubiak has a great feel for this team. No way would I want him out. But that's what I heard tonight.

12/19/16 11:49 pm

Health issues? Ok I dunno anything about that, but I guarantee the only way he's out of Denver is if he leaves on his own accord. No freaking way his buddy Elway fires him.

12/19/16 11:51 pm

But I'd have to think that Wade Phillips would be the obvious successor if that's the case.

12/19/16 11:51 pm

(Or Elway would bring back MIKE Shanahan, who I've been hearing is looking to get back into the league. But I've heard him rumored as the Rams top candidate)

12/20/16 12:07 am

Right, Elway won't fire Kub. I disagree about Wade, though. The one thing the team has going for it now is defense. I don't think they want to mess with that. Plus, Wade's record as a head coach isn't stellar. They could do better. Somehow I don't think Mike Shanahan would come back, but I wouldn't put it past Elway to try to bring him in. I could see his son Kyle, though. Bottom line is I hope it's all BS. Go get four new O-Line guys to go w/Paradis, get a healthy CJ, maybe one solid D-Line guy to stop the run, and we're there.

12/20/16 12:10 am

What makes you think Wade Phillips wants to stay a coordinator making less money than he could? How many former Broncos coordinators are now head coaches elsewhere? Gotta imagine it's Wade's last season in Denver unless he gets promoted there.

12/20/16 12:11 am

Uh, if you ask me, the biggest glaring problem with the Broncos is the QB situation. Siemien is a 3rd string. You can't paint a turd and call it gold.

12/20/16 12:28 am

I think Phillips is one of those coaches who has carved out his niche in the league, i.e., the #1 defensive coordinator, and is in his element there. I don't think he's itching to be a head coach any more.
I couldn't disagree more about Siemian. In the midst of a ton of adversity (terrible line, ineffective running game, nagging injuries), he's shown he can throw downfield, avoid pressure, lead the group, and win the respect of his teammates. I want to see him get a legit chance to show what he can do when he's not running for his life every down.

12/20/16 12:32 am

I watched the patriots game and I don't recall him throwing it downfield once. Terrible on 3rd down too.

12/20/16 12:36 am

I'm looking at the season overall. The Pats are the Pats. I'll cut Siemian a little slack. I didn't see Brady lighting it up in the 3 degree wind chill either.

12/20/16 12:39 am

Well they also lost to Titans last week lulz... one of those teams that is so perennially bad that I regularly forget they even exist. It's getting easier every week to call last year a fluke based on luck and not much more.

12/20/16 12:41 am

In fact, thinking back to last year... Most weeks I was like "wow, Broncos got lucky this game".

12/20/16 12:45 am

For the record, the Broncos had 330 passing yards and 19 first downs passing vs. the Titans. Maybe if they would have done more than 18 yards rushing and zero first downs rushing, they would have got the W.

12/20/16 12:48 am

Maybe if the defense was really as good as some people like to say they are, they would be the difference makers in games.

12/20/16 12:52 am

Miller was basically invisible out there yesterday, aside from taking a bad penalty that hurt his team. Also, where was the crucial pick-6 in the key late moment of the game that they relied on so much last season?

12/20/16 12:53 am

The pass defense is #1 in the league, but the run defense is nowhere near what it was last year. They definitely miss Malik Jackson.

12/20/16 12:54 am

How many more fumbles does Jordan Norwood need to commit before he's finally cut, anyways?

12/20/16 1:00 am

Right, I was waiting for the same pick-6. Norwood isn't a bad receiver, but I wouldn't have him returning punts. Kalif Raymond did a decent job the week before, but they deactivated him. Bad move.

12/20/16 1:03 am

Just another classic case of winning the championship one year and missing the playoffs the next. Seems to happen often in professional sports.

12/20/16 8:10 am

Yeah, for whatever reason. Angels in '03, KC in baseball last year, the Giants and Kings with the every other year thing. It makes what the Broncos did in '98-99 pretty remarkable.

12/20/16 11:35 am

So based on history, the broncos will win another super bowl in about 16 years

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
12/19/16 7:55 pm

Yes, and I watch it every year without fail! Why wouldn't it be considered a Christmas movie?

Wackacrat Harford County
12/19/16 5:53 pm

Yes it is. Die hard is not. Die hard is missing the "Christmas magic." Simply taking place over Christmas doesn't make it a Christmas movie any more than a movie with a shoot out in a church would make it a religious one.

Wackacrat Harford County
12/19/16 5:56 pm

In home alone, Kevin wakes up to a empty house that he wished to be because of Christmas magic (arguable, I know.) also, Kevin's mom realizes Kevin isn't there the moment Kevin wishes she was there because of Christmas magic (arguable, I know.)

valeriejo ramble on
12/19/16 3:59 pm

Yes, but still good through out the year

voc I am...what I am
12/19/16 3:15 pm

Yes, and so is die hard

Your head is multi colored again. Wasn't sure if you were aware.

12/19/16 3:17 pm

Thanks for the heads up 😉

12/19/16 4:26 pm

I thought you were here so we can laugh at you about your hockey team.

12/19/16 4:39 pm

I'm counting on Jimmy Howard to give me a strong night in fantasy hockey. He better not let me down.

voc I am...what I am
12/19/16 4:46 pm

I wouldn't count on Howard for much of anything this season. Although it's hard to be a goaltender when the rest of the team isn't giving you much help

12/19/16 4:48 pm

He has an excellent SV% despite his team's struggles. Mrazek isn't very good, but I have the feeling the Wings will choose to protect him and leave Howard vulnerable to the expansion draft. Which would be a mistake.

voc I am...what I am
12/19/16 4:53 pm

I thought Howard was a goner this summer so you're probably right on that one

12/19/16 5:01 pm

It'll be interesting to see who they draft, particularly at goalie. They'll have some really good options at the position; some teams have a really tough decision of which goalie to protect.

12/19/16 5:26 pm

I'm going to laugh my f'n ass off when @orgblu10 's team re-signs and protects Bernier.

12/19/16 5:27 pm

Also, when @MJSeals ' team protects Halak over Greiss.

12/19/16 5:31 pm

They do like Bernier, but Gibson's the chosen one.

12/19/16 5:35 pm

Clearly. Murray apparently didn't think they needed Andersen, who is a few years removed from being one of the elite goalies in the league.

12/19/16 5:39 pm

Many of us liked Andersen better, but they didn't want to pay both of them.

12/19/16 5:44 pm

Yep, and they went with the cheaper goalie so they can keep paying Perry and Getzlaf 9-10mil. How's that working out for you

12/19/16 5:50 pm

At least they always have their regular season record to brag about with their golf course buddies every May!

12/19/16 6:11 pm

Last time I checked, you were looking up at me in the standings, so I guess it's working out ok. Not worried about Perry or Getzlaf. They'll be fine.

12/19/16 6:22 pm

Like I said... "but but... mah regular season record!"

Here's a cookie. 🍪😋

voc I am...what I am
12/19/16 7:13 pm

Well laserbeam, games cancelled tonight. You don't have to worry about jimmy.

12/19/16 7:20 pm

That's not good news. I could've really used some goaltending numbers tonight. My exact reaction when I got the notification from Bleacher Report was "are you fucking kidding me?"

12/19/16 8:22 pm

Another day, another Ducks win. Ho hum. Thanks for the cookie!😋

12/19/16 8:44 pm

Cam Fowler got me 2 powerplay points. Whoever gets him at the trade deadline is lucky.

12/19/16 9:12 pm

Haha I love how you twist that knife. HE ISN'T GOING ANYWHERE.

12/19/16 9:18 pm

Well somebody is going to have to be sold. Take a sec to examine the cap hell your team is going to be in this offseason. Especially after overpaying for Rakell and that bust of a dman Lindholm. Doesn't help that they just showed all the other Ducks players how to manipulate Murray into paying up.

12/19/16 9:19 pm

Could be comparable to the way that Carrier showed every other large company how to manipulate Trump into paying up.

12/19/16 9:23 pm

It's always cute though how Ducks fans always have short memories and become naive during the season. Every single year they seem to think that success midseason will translate to success in the post season (despite not making any significant offseason moves and sticking with a core that has proven repeatedly that they buckle under the pressure when it matters)

12/19/16 9:28 pm

Your thoughts? I'd say that this was my 2 cents, but it's really just the common opinion of the rest of the league.

12/19/16 9:28 pm

I'm not convinced the Ducks are good enough to make a long playoff run this year. But remember the overriding reason for the coaching change was to address the problem of exiting too early. Btw, Rakell has arguably been their best player since he came back.

12/19/16 9:31 pm

Don't you dare try to convince me (nor yourself) that Carlyle is an upgrade over Boudreau. We all know the truth.

12/19/16 9:34 pm

12/19/16 9:36 pm

You know I love Humpty. But the reason for the change was the playoff failures. The front office remembers they won a Cup with Carlyle. I'm not saying he's better than Bruce. Look at where Minnesota is, right on the Hawks' heels. Typical Boudreau. But do you really think they're making a long run in the postseason? I'm not buying it, as much as I like the guy. Carlyle seems like kind of an SOB, but at this stage it's about results.

12/19/16 9:44 pm

Murray made the all-too-common mistake of blaming the coaching instead of the core. On top of that, he ate the member berries. "Member when we won the cup? Oooo I member! Let's bring that guy back so I can one day fire him a second time!"

12/19/16 9:52 pm

(Not saying that Boudreau wasn't partly to blame... the issues with Ducks are complex... but look at this way: nobody is making the mistake of blaming Babcock for the struggles in Toronto)

12/19/16 10:45 pm

Regarding blaming the coaching, it's like they say in baseball, it's easier to fire the manager than to fire 25 guys. So that's what Murray did. Idk if their problems are all that complex. It may be that what they really are right now is a 6-8 seed at best. They're relying on a handful of young guys to produce who aren't quite ready yet; they may have overrated Gibson; when Perry struggles to score, there's too much pressure on the Coglianos and Vermettes to take up the slack, and the team struggles to win. The sum of the above is a team with little margin for error.

12/19/16 10:47 pm

Keeping McGinn and Perron would have helped with the loss of Perry's production. The injury to Despres didn't help the D's consistency either.

12/19/16 10:51 pm

You don't dump the entire team and start over. You pick the cornerstone guys that you want to build the team around going forward, and you dump the guys that have been around for a while that have proven to always flop in the playoffs (see: the definition of insanity). Build a team around your Rakells and your Fowlers and your Vatanens, and ditch the overpriced, older, proven floppers such as your Perrys and Getzlafs.

12/19/16 10:57 pm

Oh and rethink the goalie situation because Gibson isn't a franchise guy. I have to imagine that guys like Raanta and Pickard and Vasilevsky are primed to become great #1 guys somewhere in the near future....

12/19/16 11:07 pm

I do believe they better build around the three guys you mentioned, but who's out there via free agency or trade to replace the scoring they (usually) get from Perry and the playmaking of Getzlaf?

12/19/16 11:08 pm

I agree to a point about Gibson, but how far away are those young goalies from being a #1 you can ride in the playoffs?

12/19/16 11:21 pm

How far away is Vasilevsky from being a reliable goalie?.... Have you been watching the cup finals the past few years?

12/19/16 11:22 pm

The big problem with Perry and Getz is that Murray fucked himself by making their overpriced contracts virtually untradeable. Nobody wants to take on those contracts. It's not impossible though... Vancouver (eventually) found a buyer for Luongo, and Toronto was able to flip Phaneuf... So there's hope.

12/19/16 11:24 pm

(The finals 2 years ago I mean. The conference finals last year)

12/19/16 11:39 pm

If those contracts are virtually untradeable, they're obviously not going to get comparable value coming back. Don't know if Murray has it in him to do anything earthshaking. Just more tinkering and nickel and diming with the roster, waiting for the rookies to develop, and hoping Carlyle can squeeze out whatever potential is there. You may be right about what they need to do, but I think they'll just stay the course they're on now, as long as they remain in some type of contender status. If they don't even get in the playoffs, maybe all bets are off.

12/19/16 11:47 pm

Not to mention that Getz and Perry both have no trade clauses that they would have to waive (same with Kessler). Salary cap hell is in the Ducks future my friend. What happens when theres no room to re-sign the developing guys when their entry-level or bridge contracts are up?

12/19/16 11:49 pm

The reason I think Fowler is gone at the deadline is because next year is the last year on his contract, which will skyrocket in value when he goes to sign his next contract. No way the cap hell will allow him to be re-signed by the Ducks. Trade him this year when he still has value, as next deadline he will be a "rental" with little return.

12/19/16 11:59 pm

You know a lot more about the degree of their potential financial difficulties than I do, but I can't foresee Perry or Getzlaf waiving their no-trade clauses. As far as paying the young guys, by that time they'll have a much better idea of who they want to keep and who they're willing to let go. I think they should pay Fowler. There's nothing not to like there.

12/20/16 12:16 am

I agree that Fowler is a gem and he still not even in his prime yet... But there's a distinct difference between wanting to pay a guy and being able to pay a guy. Personally, id love to see him on the Kings. The Slava Voynov situation is one in which we still haven't recovered from... a huge blow that was.

12/19/16 2:21 pm

Inspired by the ongoing discussion I've seen about whether Die Hard is a Christmas movie... and those who erroneously say it's not.

dfish at home
12/19/16 3:32 pm

They either don't remember it well enough or are simply being stubborn idiots