Squidboy December 19th, 2016 8:00pm

Bob has a house across the street from where your children attend elementary school. One day Bob sits on his front porch with a rifle on his lap while your kids walk to school. This makes you feel....

rlands
12/20/16 2:00 pm

If it's just one random day he pulls out a rifle, I'm gonna take note and be worried. If he does it every day that's a different thing.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
12/20/16 9:33 am

Neither, unless there's reason to be suspicious.

sea California
12/19/16 11:37 pm

Well I live in a peaceful suburb so it would make me uneasy. There are no gang problems or other threats so why does he need to armed? Is he paranoid schizophrenic?

NKarta Please excuse my sanity
12/19/16 7:27 pm

Depends. Where do i live? Do people around there do that a lot? Does bob have a problem with the school? Is he stable? Is he cleaning it or just sitting there? Does he look angry? Is he doing anything threatening?

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
12/20/16 9:40 am

For the sake of the poll, assume it's the nearest school to your house. You don't know anything about Bob, he's just a random guy on his porch.

NKarta Please excuse my sanity
12/20/16 7:34 pm

Across from my school is an apartment complex known to have drug deals going on constantly. Also, my city has a lot of crime, and my school is an Orthodox Jewish school, which is a big target for possible anti-semitic attacks, so I would be pretty worried. Also, most people in my city are anti gun, so all in all, the possibility of him being a peaceful gun owner is not very high.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/19/16 4:48 pm

"Hello Officer I would like to report..."
If an old man lives across the street from a great school he might be fed up for the screeching yelling running and all that noise involved with little kids. I would be part him very quickly and probably stand out too far from the home and make sure that the kids are safe.

dale41 Grand Master of FIRSTS
12/19/16 4:27 pm

What a joke. What is happening to our freedoms. If this man is forced in any way to stop sitting on his porch with his gun, America takes another step back in freedom for "safety". What next, they won't let the man smoke on his porch because the smoke may travel 50+ feet and near the kids. What about banning not the whittling of wood. That knife may scare people. Will he not be able to wash his car or now the grass with his shirt off.

This is my biggest pet peeve. Trading freedoms for "safety". I hope nothing more happens and this man is able to enjoy his time on his porch with his rifle, but that won't happen. He will be forced to stop doing that.

Korosensei Maine
12/19/16 4:56 pm

Yes because sitting across from an elementary school with a loaded gun is a threatening action

dale41 Grand Master of FIRSTS
12/19/16 8:23 pm

Neither in the article or the question was there mention of the gun being loaded. A unloaded rifle will deter most crime as people won't know if it is loaded.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
12/19/16 4:09 pm

Yikes. Keep your eye on that guy.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
12/19/16 4:00 pm

Hard to say. Neither, particularly, unless I know Bob to be an unstable POS. We had a bear in the yard between the house and her car last week when my wife needed to leave for work, which freaked out and then annoyed my wife mightily, and she's a full-grown and fit human who is very capable with a rifle herself. So if there was a bear in the area while unarmed snack-sized humans were walking by themselves to school, having Bob on guard duty might make parents feel safer.

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
12/19/16 3:28 pm

I don't have any feelings about it at all. It's his private property and he's not breaking the law.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
12/19/16 3:28 pm

Depends on what I know about Bob

catpillow Florida West Coast
12/19/16 3:14 pm

I don't know how stable or how careful this guy is. There are a lot of crazy people in Florida. If he messes up, children could be shot and maybe killed. Of course I wouldn't be comfortable.

Blarney Wrightville
12/19/16 3:01 pm

I need a Bob outside my school..."kids u better quit misbehaving on playground, see Bob up there? He ain't playing around anymore"

McMurphyJohnson say what now
12/19/16 2:57 pm

I really wouldn't care. If he wants to exercise his rights then so be it.

MrMilkdud
12/19/16 2:57 pm

After reading the article, I'd say "safe."
Sounds like a lot of drama over nothing.

presrvd Phoenix
12/19/16 2:55 pm

Probably indifferent. I'd have to know Bob, honestly. He could be out there with malice, or he could be out there specifically for the protection if the neighborhood kids. Just having a gun in one's possession doesn't change my feelings towards anything. In most cases, I do, too....

MrsCrayonWax
12/19/16 2:50 pm

I'm unsettled because I'm wondering what I'm Bob's mind would make him display a firearm in front of school? If he's threatened, what is he threatened by and his lack of judgement is concerning.

DonWichita Kansas
12/19/16 1:54 pm

Displaying a firearm in public areas is always unsettling.

Wino I need a drink
12/19/16 1:48 pm

Sounds like he's a moron. It would make me feel unsafe and would not be tolerated in the area where I live. No one could technically stop it, but we'd find ways to make it known that we don't like it.

bleupineappe
12/19/16 1:46 pm

It would make me wary... a little anxious; though only because I don't know what that man will do with his weapon. But, that doesn't mean his right to have it on his private property should be thrown away.

croopertrooper Greater Cincinnati Area
12/19/16 1:28 pm

Depends. Has there been an increase in crime in the area? Did someone's kid get abducted on Bob's street so now he's acting as the neighborhood watch? Is he just sitting there? Is he cleaning the gun? Is he staring menacingly at people? Is he drinking tea? Is he drinking whiskey?

ctskapski x
12/19/16 1:03 pm

Not enough context for me to form a real opinion.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
12/19/16 2:04 pm

Sure there is! He's a yahoo sitting on his porch fondling his firearm.

ctskapski x
12/19/16 3:02 pm

Waving at parents walking their kids to school and informing them he's neighborhood watch, that he lost his kids to crazed gunman, and who has vowed that no other parents should suffer that same pain while he's on duty?