Show Of Hands June 27th, 2012 12:00am

Did your parents regularly make you eat everything on your plate, including foods you didn't like?

07/05/12 5:15 am

My parents sometimes make me

Silent Jacksonville, FL
07/04/12 2:43 pm

The 'poor' people of today need to learn to eat what they are given. Our unemployed and/or drug addicted do a lot better than they would in another country and they still have the nerve to turn away green vegetables.

07/03/12 12:43 pm

ugh, so many younger people were clearly coddled. no wonder they act like spoiler idiots. terrible parenting.

bribuckley New York
07/02/12 1:02 am

My parents didn't really give in to me when I wasn't interested in a particular food on my plate. However, if there was something I truly didn't want, I was simply asked to take a couple of "thank you bites". This wasn't really a problem, though, as I generally ate what was on my plate anyway.

ahsu Ohio
07/01/12 11:01 pm

My mom often told me the wolves would eat me if I didn't finish my food. And the witches would kidnap me. And the thunder god would strike me. I believed her for a really long time.

ahsu Ohio
07/01/12 11:01 pm

Rice. Asians eat rice and parents always give too much rice to the children. I liked vegetables, I'll eat all the vegetables. Just stop giving me a massive bowl of rice.

06/30/12 12:42 pm

BUT MOOOOOOMM!!!! DON'T MOM ME!! then I'd eat most of it and everything was cool and copesetic..and to this day, I have not eaten liver lol

06/30/12 12:39 pm

"DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY STARVING CHILDREN IN AFRICA OR CHINA WOULD LOVE TO EAT THAT??" "BUT IT'S LIVER AND ONIONS AND THEY'D PUKE BECAUSE IT'S SO GROSS!" "WELL, YOU'RE NOT LEAVING UNTILL YOU FINISH YOUR FOOD!!"

BadBadger Georgia
06/30/12 2:18 am

My mom made us eat every last scrap. Her favorite saying was "Never, ever, let a dead dachshund go to waste." Words to live by.

tidford My little piece of heaven
06/29/12 11:54 pm

My parents - yes.

As parents we encouraged our kids to try everything - test a small amount of a new food.

But for familiar foods, if they put it on their plates they had to eat it. No hogging food, thus denying it to others, then wasting it.

EarlyBird Portland
06/29/12 8:14 pm

Kato- pretty funny.
Brussel sprouts are the only food my kids don't like. I've never made either of them eat them.

Kato Minnesota
06/29/12 6:48 pm

My step mom made me eat brussel sprouts one night and I ended up puking everywhere including on my father which in return made him puke haha

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
06/29/12 3:54 pm

Those starving children in china really needed me to clean my plate.

06/29/12 6:30 am

No. But I always try to eat as much as I can. I even scrape every last grain of rice out of the pan. I hate knowing somewhere someone is starving. That's why I don't eat meat. Look up how much food we feed to animals just to eat them. We could end world hunger.

06/29/12 12:01 am

@holybabble: technically, crow hovers over us all daily! ;-). Or ;-( Which is your poison .?!

bbelle
06/28/12 9:35 pm

I had to try it. If I didn't like what was on my plate I didn't get anything else. Dinner was dinner you eat SOMETHING on your plate or you were hungry.

kaik12 Twin Cities, MN
06/28/12 8:23 pm

My parents would make me at least try everything. But if I didn't like it, they didn't make me eat it. And I simply had to eat until I was full. I've never had to finish off my plate, although I normally did anyways.

HolyBabble Mississippi
06/28/12 8:05 pm

Republicans are eating crow today.

*chortle

malinox
06/28/12 7:40 pm

With my kids, they're going to have two choices, eat what I give you or dont eat at all.

TallyLu80 Oklahoma
06/28/12 7:40 pm

Oh my... Liver and onions! I still hate it to this day, but I had to eat it ALL!

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
06/28/12 7:34 pm

I flat-out refused when I was younger. Now I'll try things, but if I don't like it I still won't finish it.

gjb2779
06/28/12 7:01 pm

No I always ate everything on my own. I was a pig as a kid, but I never got fat from it

Diogenes Its Blursday Again
06/28/12 6:13 pm

That's why "it" is considered "left-overs"!

Diogenes Its Blursday Again
06/28/12 6:05 pm

Considered rude on Java Is. at formal gatherings.
Hard when your a walking trash compactor with two hollow legs and a tapeworm or two.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
06/28/12 4:55 pm

@AshRyan thanks! I'll remember to talk to him about that next time I go.

mrbox183
06/28/12 4:25 pm

My brother and I didn't have to eat everything that we were given as long as we tried it first.

fcdrvr
06/28/12 3:53 pm

They didn't have to. I ate everything but liver & onions. So they just never fixed that dish again.

nobodyspec
06/28/12 3:25 pm

Until I threw up from corn and pork chops... two of the nastiest things on Earth.

jstahl Build that wall
06/28/12 3:10 pm

Yes, which is the reason that I don't eat steak to this day. The kids got the cheap cuts and we had to eat everything, including the fat. I would gag on it. Now I won't even eat good cuts of steak. I never force my kids to eat something if they say they don't like it.

prterri
06/28/12 2:27 pm

Yes my parents did! They also only made food they liked and if I didn't eat that I went to bed hungry. My step kids had a hard time getting used to that rule. They 'didn't like' anything their dad made so they ate chicken nuggets every night. Now they don't complain and eat whatever I cook.

buzzyboy
06/28/12 2:11 pm

They did at first.... until I started throwing the crap up. To this day I still refuse to eat mushrooms and tomatoes

Grocker
06/28/12 1:47 pm

Not finish, just try everything.

FreeBird1
06/28/12 1:39 pm

I contend that the reason America is so fat is because our parents have taught us to eat even when we are not hungry.

Hey, I need someone to blame when I am stuffing my face at 1 in the morning.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/28/12 12:21 pm

Had to eat everything on the plate, and had to take at least some of everything even if it was disgusting. Kids were "starving in China" back then, so clearing my plate was doing my part to help feed them. Or something. How many times do you have to "at least try some" to know you don't like it?

Liberty2016
06/28/12 12:19 pm

There's very few foods I don't like, and so my parents usually avoided making them. Most of what I didn't like they didn't like anyways.

philmchawk Gaia Agia
06/28/12 12:10 pm

"Ma, I want! Gimme this, gimme that, *waaaaaah* I HATE YOU!"

Boy, at least your mom wants you, you little ingrate turd.

philmchawk Gaia Agia
06/28/12 12:06 pm

If I didn't like what was made, I went the fück without. As it should be, none of this coddling them until they're 30 and shīt. Most of my generation are little bîtches because they got spoiled rotten as kids.

Sakura-chan Reading and Writing.
06/28/12 11:36 am

I'm not a picky water so no not really. She would make me eat even if I wasn't hungers though. (mainly this would happen during the summer because I tend to lose my appetite during that time)

wirenerd Somersworth
06/28/12 11:20 am

If I didn't want what I was being given to eat for a meal, I had to make something myself. Usually a a sandwich or pasta... Depended on what we had that I was allowed to eat.

goldy California
06/28/12 11:08 am

No not really. My mom did make me eat eggs when I was little and didn't have the words to say "this tastes nasty." After about age 5 I liked pretty much everything I ate. Though my mom did ask me why I didn't always finish my lunch at school. (Not enough time and not enough variety.)

niteowl Hold Fast
06/28/12 11:07 am

I would advise discussing with your PCP at your next visit. Hope that helps!

niteowl Hold Fast
06/28/12 11:07 am

I would advise discussing with your PCP at your next visit. Hope that helps!