WhyBotherVoting December 19th, 2016 3:13pm

1st commandment. "I am the lord.....You shall have no other Gods before me". Have you broken the 1st commandment?

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
12/20/16 12:24 am

For a long time I didn't realize that "pleasing & appeasing" my family - at any cost - was in fact idolatry... every decision I made was processed through the filter "how will they feel about this?"

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
12/20/16 12:25 am

Poll Q:

ronderman North Carolina
12/19/16 8:29 pm

We all have. It basically means that you put anything before God. This is one of the most difficult commandments to follow.

Many below have said that they don't believe in God so they can't break the commandment. In my opinion, that just says that they have never placed God first (since they don't believe in Him) and therefore, they have ALWAYS broken the commandment.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
12/19/16 10:45 pm

I wouldn't disagree with that last thing. If I believed any of this was real, I'd be pretty worried about it. Good thing I don't, so I'm not. 😁

thebarr
12/21/16 5:46 pm

Completely agree, ronderman.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
12/19/16 8:05 pm

Not broken it so much as rejected it outright.

jmw7477 Indiana
12/19/16 1:01 pm

I'm not Christian. This doesn't apply to me.

ronderman North Carolina
12/19/16 8:25 pm

I disagree. The commandment doesn't qualify "If you believe, . . ."

You may not recognize the God or the commandment, but you are breaking it.

The same would be true if a deity you recognize (but I don't), made a commandment and I broke it.

jmw7477 Indiana
12/20/16 1:28 am

I don't believe that. I think religion is a personal experience. The rules only apply to the ones that are part of it.

ronderman North Carolina
12/20/16 5:19 am

I totally get that. However, if I don't believe in the speed limit, but I'm driving 90 miles an hour, I'm still breaking the speed limit even if there is no policeman there to see me.

That's all I'm saying. You don't believe, so it's understandable that it doesn't mean anything to you. It shouldn't. That said, God (understandably) isn't the top priority in your life. Therefore, believe in him or not, you break the law.

I do get what you are saying though.

jmw7477 Indiana
12/20/16 9:50 am

Laws and religious guidelines are different, but I understand what you're saying.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
12/19/16 12:24 pm

There may have been a time or two when I was younger and questioned God that I did this, but with a stronger faith God is always my only God. while I may give my time and energy to other things, in my heart, God is still number 1. That is what matters.

jfish82285 Tennessean in Colorado
12/19/16 11:02 am

I put myself above any nonexistent mystical being, so I'm sure that breaks it.

myob
12/19/16 11:07 am

Your first mistake is assuming such a thing is possible.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
12/19/16 11:01 am

Not applicable. I'm not religious.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
12/19/16 10:43 am

Not religious. I don't have any other gods.

ronderman North Carolina
12/19/16 8:32 pm

In my view, that means that you have ALWAYS broken the commandment.

What the commandment means is that God should always be your top priority. Since God has never been your top priority, you have always broken the commandment.

No judgments, just my opinion. For me, it's the hardest of the 10 commandments to keep.

thebarr
12/21/16 5:47 pm

Agreed. Only the most devoted have never broken this commandment.

Okie1967 The world is crazy
12/19/16 10:19 am

It doesn't have to be an idol. Most have broken this by putting anything ahead of Him.

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
12/19/16 9:59 am

Yes. I have no gods or masters.

Okie1967 The world is crazy
12/19/16 10:20 am

You worship yourself, probably.

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
12/19/16 12:36 pm

At least I know I'm real and anything I ask of myself, I actually do.

thebarr
12/21/16 5:49 pm

You are likely a slave to your passions. I'd rather serve the Lord.

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
12/21/16 6:00 pm

You can serve whatever unprovable invisible deity you want, I don't care.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
12/19/16 9:57 am

I equate God to life and likewise worship living creatures in his name. I don't really care much for material goods as these are temporary. I do my best to follow God's laws and to keep them holy.

teachinla California
12/19/16 9:57 am

Yes, unless you consider all manifestations of God as the same God. I believe that that is the philosophy of many Hindus.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
12/19/16 9:53 am

It's far too easy to put other things before God. I think most honest people will realize that they have at least at some point.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/19/16 8:38 am

Yes. We all have, because we don't realize how many things in our modern society can be "gods." A god is something you worship. "Worship" comes from the Old English (Anglo-Saxon) word "weorthscype" (worth-ship) and it means to ascribe worth or particular worthiness to someone or something.
We can worship nearly anything by giving it a higher priority than our relationship with the Lord Jesus (for my Jewish friends, read that as Adonai and you will get the same point from this comment). Let's say there is an NFL exhibition game from London on Sunday morning when you would normally go to church. If you stay home to watch the game, you are ascribing a higher worth to football than to God. Let's say you are aware that you haven't been reading your Bible lately, but there's a show on TV that you'd rather watch. I'm guilty of this one myself. If we watch the TV show instead, we are giving it a higher priority than God. You can warship a girlfriend or boyfriend, too. Or a President. (More..)

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/19/16 8:51 am

... Or your favorite pop singer. Some people worship their money. Others worship their jobs. How about your car, or a fancy sports car that you've got your eye on? This next one could get uncomfortable, so I'll make it a little extreme...we can indeed worship our children: What about a "pageant mom" who spends all her time entering her seven-year-old daughter in beauty pageants and auditioning her for TV commercials, even dressing her up in skimpy adult outfits and heavy makeup?
• i'm sure most people will get the idea by now. We are all guilty, to varying degrees, of violating the First Commandment. And I haven't even said a word about the other nine…
In this Christmas season, let's take a little time to contemplate our relationship with our Creator. When He made us in His Image, all He really wanted was our love and friendship. But that comfortable relationship was broken when Adam and Eve sinned. That's why Jesus had to come as a baby: to restore us to a good relationship (More...)

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/19/16 8:58 am

...with our Creator/Father/God. Of course, the rest of the Story continues with the Crucifixion and Resurrection. But for now, I'll leave you to explore that yourself. Start with the Gospel (means "Good News") of John or Matthew. Have a blesséd Christmas, and/or a Happy Chanukah, my friends. ✟✡

MrMilkdud
12/19/16 9:54 am

Tom, the word Christ used in Matt 4:10 when He referred to the first commandment was "proskunēseis." It literally means "to come forward (pros) and kiss (kunēo)," which can mean worship, but that word doesn't quite capture that it comes out of a deep sense of adoration and love.
While I agree that people fall short when they put other things before their relationship with God, I think that it's incorrect to say we're worshipping those things, and that severe interpretation leads to scrupulosity. In its original context, and in the context of Christ invoking it in Mt 4, it has to do with literally worshiping false gods. The things you mentioned might be better described as sins of sloth (being too lazy to go to church), greed (over ones own time), or vanity (believing we're good enough without God).

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/19/16 10:20 am

Milk, I can see your points, and appreciate your perspective on this. I agree with your interpretation of the Greek term, too. And who among us wouldn't want to avoid "scrupulosity"? Most people can't even spell it! It'd probably be a good name for a punk band, though. :^D

jrpacman Pensum iocus est
12/19/16 12:01 pm

@tlaney1 this is one of my favorite posts of yours that I've read. This was really inspiring and a great read, especially with Christmas a week away.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/19/16 1:38 pm

Thanks, jr. Have a blesséd Christmas!

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/19/16 1:38 pm

bluerum, what is it you don't agree with? I was just doing an analysis of where the words came from.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
12/19/16 1:43 pm

Like I wrote above, it's about what's in your heart more than your time.
Just because someone chooses to do other things than give their time to God, doesn't mean they are worshipping that other thing.

ronderman North Carolina
12/19/16 8:27 pm

We all have. I agree Tom.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/19/16 10:58 pm

Blue, I can see that. I was a little strict, considering that the post was available for not just Christians to read. Indeed, what is in your heart is what counts. Merry Christmas, my friend! •<];o)

thatguy2 We tried to warn you
12/19/16 8:17 am

Yep. Tacos over everything! They save me everyday.