think4yourself December 17th, 2016 8:31pm

Have you had any positive health benefits from alternative medicine (for example herbs, chiropractic, massage, acupuncture, etc.) that was not specifically recommended by your doctor?

fburgnate Draper, UT
12/18/16 10:25 am

After a life of migraines and IBS, acupuncture cured +90% of the migraines and made eating donuts and pancakes possible, again.

think4yourself Not a safe space
12/18/16 10:36 am

Do you take a probiotic? Balancing out your gut bacteria is essential.

fburgnate Draper, UT
12/19/16 9:52 am

I did and felt great. I stopped and some issues returned so I'm going back on them - lesson learned.

PinkLabrador
12/18/16 9:53 am

Definitely. I am young, but have a bad neck and 100% have been helped by decompression and massage. I would be on pain meds if I didn't do this.
Also, had headaches most of my life until I started taking magnesium about 5 years ago.

think4yourself Not a safe space
12/18/16 10:37 am

Do you use an inversion table? A lot of research suggests that is an excellent way to keep your spine aligned.

PinkLabrador
12/18/16 2:52 pm

Think...we actually have one and my husband swears by it. I'm just freaked out about being upside down 😬or tilted.

Suzan Hawaii
12/18/16 12:21 am

100% cure for cancer with no surgery, no , chemo and no radiation. Cured shingles.

Suzan Hawaii
12/18/16 11:20 am

Eastern medicine has had the cure for cancer for 200 years. The man who developed it has other chores to his credit. They determine what started the cancer, and give me the herbs to pull it out of your system. They treat the source and not the symptom. People in Japan have cancer smashes Americans, but they utilize the cure

EarlyBird Portland
12/17/16 10:17 pm

No because I never get sick.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
12/17/16 9:12 pm

I've had a lifetime of health issues. I used to rely on Dr visits & Rx, trying to address them while my health continued to deteriorate. I'm a realist: if what I'm doing isn't working, I try something different.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
12/17/16 9:12 pm

When I have an acute infection or something is broken or bleeding profusely, I go to a "regular Dr." Otherwise, we've found a collection of "home medicine" that strengthens our immune system & overall has reduced our incidence of illness & helped our body fight more effectively when we do get sick so we aren't as sick & get well far more rapidly... for significantly less cost.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
12/17/16 9:12 pm

After changing from "traditional American medicine" to, first, an Environmental Medicine specialist then to a couple Naturopaths - plus doing my own research - my health *finally* started to turn around... substantially & for less expense. I learned about the things in my diet that wasn't helpful & what alternatives would help my body work as designed & be better able to heal itself, rather than taking Rx med that just masked/treated the symptoms w/o ever addressing the *reasons* I *had* the symptoms... & that too often was exacerbating the root problems.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
12/17/16 9:13 pm

Poll Q:

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
12/18/16 11:50 am

That's a very complex Q cuz there was a lot to address! But, as far as daily life changes, eliminating as ma ny pre-packed products as possible, *especially* white sugar/flour products & unnecessary additives like food coloring & preservatives... which had comprised way too much of my diet.

Diet became 60%-75% fresh fruits, veggies, nuts & seeds; more fresh fish than meats & looked for meats that hadn't been treated w/antibiotics (easier to find now than it was then); no hyper-pasteurized dairy products, no antibiotic treated dairy products (also much easier to find now).

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
12/18/16 12:00 pm

I had been on so many antibiotics & steroids & other "systemic upsetting" medications of one kind or another my own immune systems had been all but destroyed. So the plan was to eliminate as much as possible any direct & indirect source of antibiotic or steroid, unless their was an acute & urgent necessity for them (like pneumonia).

Combined with that was supplements to restore the natural health-building bacterias that had been pretty well wiped out with all the medical treatments & my diet that had made that worse.

So added to my diet was any naturally fermented (not by chemical additives) & probiotics: fruit-sweetened no sugar added yogurt, kefir, etc; non-sulfur dried fruit like dates & figs & prunes; home-fermented veggies... anything that added natural probiotics.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
12/18/16 1:02 pm

For a long time I required high potency B-complex, ester-C, magnesium (which I still take every day by capsule & in drink form), probiotic supplements & a variety of herbal supplements to support immune & organ function in a variety of ways.

But the primary change for me was staying as far away from antibiotics as possible as much as reasonably possible & changing the things I put into my body that further deteriorated my immune system & response.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
12/18/16 1:02 pm

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
12/18/16 1:03 pm

Sorry about the double post; the internet here really sucks today!

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
12/18/16 1:09 pm

I am extremely skeptical of any doctor who immediately reaches for a script pad w/o a *single* Q about my dietary or physical activity habits & especially so of any that dismisses out of hand that what I do or don't do on a daily basis apart from downing Rx chemicals - including rational common sense "natural" supplements - makes a certain kind of sense.

Rx medicine has it's place & absolutely should be on the table. But read the label of *any* Rx medicine & realize the canard that *food* & food-based treatment is "dangerous" or "useless" as a particularly cynical form of propaganda.

chickencookie Give me Liberty
12/18/16 1:46 pm

I buy ultra pasteurized organic milk. It has no antibiotics. I've been using this for over 25 years. Is this healthy? I'm not much of a meat eater. Barely. But I also eat minimal chicken and even less fish. I have several chronic illnesses and with one I have no choice but to take the Meds.

chickencookie Give me Liberty
12/18/16 1:49 pm

For my other things when I ask my RA Doctor they always brush it off. Dr Weil recommends turmeric and a diet similar to yours. I grew up eating little processed food - always fresh never canned so that's no problem.

chickencookie Give me Liberty
12/18/16 1:52 pm

I have a high cholesterol but since August I have cut back on butter and my LDL has gone down 10 points. I won't take statin but again no advice on supplements. I just take vit D3. And I have Raynards which has gotten very bad this year. No help from 3 doctors when asked.

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
12/17/16 6:10 pm

Yes, I turned my health around many years ago by not listening to MD's for health advice and taking their prescription drugs. I found my own way with herbs, diet changes, and just learning to listen to my own body.

brentwho Home
12/17/16 4:37 pm

My sister is big into essential oils.
She sends me stuff occasionally, I don't know exactly how much it might help, but we have one of those defusers to put them in.

think4yourself Not a safe space
12/17/16 4:56 pm

In the medical world it is considered alternative. Here is a good explanation as to why it is classified as that. lexfamilychiro.com/blog/b_64995_why_is_chiropractic_considered_complementary_and_alternative_medicine.html

ovcourse Its Like a Journey
12/17/16 4:19 pm

No, but the very bad asthma I had in the Midwest has been almost nonexistent in California the past 23 years.

theNobamist Silicon Valley
12/17/16 4:31 pm

Yes, after moving here from the east coast my chronic sinus problems "dried up" 😊

orgblu10 Shamerica
12/17/16 3:42 pm

I have, and friends and family members have as well.

imanag My heaven on Earth
12/17/16 2:28 pm

Why yes, yes I have.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
12/17/16 2:21 pm

Banya, massage, chiropractic, honey banki, drinking vinegar and water for stomach sickness

theNobamist Silicon Valley
12/17/16 4:33 pm

My sweetie gives me vodka and soup for my stomach.
She's "threatening" to take me to a banya; maybe she just wants to whack me with the birch stick?

RussianThunder Russia and USA
12/17/16 4:39 pm

Vodka is good for a lot of things actually

chickencookie Give me Liberty
12/17/16 8:55 pm

My grandma used to drink a bay leaf in warm water every morning for digestion.

think4yourself Not a safe space
12/17/16 1:35 pm

Although not typically endorsed by western doctors, I and several people I know have benefitted from eastern medicine. Embracing the best aspects of both could really improve the overall health of the general population.

screename1 Washington State
12/17/16 1:40 pm

I completely agree. Big pharma will fight it to the death though.

think4yourself Not a safe space
12/17/16 2:11 pm

So you think doctors give medical advice based on what big pharma says instead of what they think will help their patient?

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
12/17/16 2:19 pm

They were trained to alleviate symptoms which is what Big Pharma does...most are not versed in non-Western medicine & don't attempt to treat the illness/disease, but rather the symptoms.

rons on top of the world MA
12/17/16 3:38 pm

Tiger penis and snake gall bladder is fine.

think4yourself Not a safe space
12/17/16 3:42 pm

Ron. No need to bring your sex life into the conversation.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
12/17/16 3:46 pm

Rons, I was trying to have an honest discussion.

rons on top of the world MA
12/17/16 3:57 pm

But it's true. Bear claw, Tiger, gall bladder are powerful in Asian cultures. The snake Gall Bladder is dropped in a whiskey and drunk. Ever see Mondo Cane?
youtu.be/VruhmUBo5Vc

Kimbobee the middle of nowhere
12/17/16 3:57 pm

Last time I saw my doctor, he actually recommended I try taking a certain herbal supplement to reduce inflammation.

rons on top of the world MA
12/17/16 3:59 pm

I had to take Vitamin D for a calcium issue and the thyroid. Stand in the sun is little help, especially in the winter.

chickencookie Give me Liberty
12/17/16 8:57 pm

@Kimbobee turmeric is good for inflammation.

Kimbobee the middle of nowhere
12/17/16 9:01 pm

That's the one he recommended. 😊

chickencookie Give me Liberty
12/17/16 9:14 pm

Yeah I figured. Same for RA.