Centre Seattle Centrist
12/17/16 6:47 pm

The answer is yes. Computer technology would be way behind if it weren't for Microsoft innovation. I say that as someone who prefers Apple today

Zod Above Pugetropolis
12/17/16 4:47 pm

An easy yes. Halo alone makes it a solid yes. So does the many years of using Apple and IBM clone computers using AppleSoft BASIC and DOS). And hundreds of spreadsheets created in Excel, and many hundreds (probably thousands) of documents created in who-knows-how-many successive versions of MS Works then Word, including all of my published columns. And Microsoft is behind the OS running on most of my PCs today, with only two of the ones I use daily running Linux. Could I do without Windows and run Linux exclusively? Obviously yes. Would that let me do everything I do now better and easier, or would it make my life better? Obviously no.

WallyBarbuckle
12/17/16 12:06 pm

If you like your products to stop functioning within two years (or red ring 3 products within 3 months) go for it. XP was the last decent thing Microsoft released.

NK257 Rural Iowa
12/17/16 12:52 pm

So you've never used Microsoft Office before?

phalnx Ohio
12/17/16 7:45 pm

Windows 7 is at least as solid as XP.

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
12/17/16 11:33 am

Older technology, but important to the evolution of PC's & improved technology❗

phalnx Ohio
12/17/16 10:06 am

Very much so! They standardized computers and software development (via DirectX) so that everything was compatible. No more 'Plug 'N Pray,' no more 'this software won't run on a Packard Bell,' etc..

phalnx Ohio
12/17/16 10:06 am

Thanks to them, computers are now just very versatile (and expensive) consoles, if you want them to be!

shnowdog Alabama
12/17/16 9:47 am

Our world would be so different without Microsoft. Everyone's lives are better because of it.

Blarney Wrightville
12/17/16 9:10 am

Back in high school we used to system link 3-4 Xbox's and get a bunch of guys together and play Halo. Some of the best memories I have were from those times, although not from the game itself, but the time spent with friends while playing it.

gonzoboy Arizona
12/17/16 8:28 am

I don't have one Microsoft item in my home, hardware or software. Should I be concerned when I walk in?...😯
I do, though, use Oracle at work. Man, what a bunch a hoops and rabbit-holes in THAT program! Anyway, I think MS might help to make life a bit more organized at work.

ptellini
12/17/16 8:00 am

Supporting Microsoft products is most of my living.

danielahmadi
12/17/16 10:02 pm

If you have ever used a modern day computer no matter the company it's a yes. Just because you think Apple or whatever other company is better than Microsoft doesn't mean Microsoft hasn't affected you. Those other company's wouldn't be here if Microsoft hadn't existed.

johonmilla Monroe, nc
12/17/16 11:00 pm

And you've probably had to use Microsoft office for probably any job.

Kay41 the Midwest
12/17/16 7:05 am

Yes, I use it at work all the time.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
12/17/16 6:30 am

Not directly since I don't use Microsoft. But I guess indirectly for the technological advancements they've inspired. I'm just glad I don't work for them. Then I'd have to say no.

Aleut Odesa, Ukraine
12/17/16 6:19 am

Funny you ask this question, I was on tech support with them last night for hours and the problem still isn't solved.

polster2 US
12/17/16 6:19 am

Anyone who says no is an idiot.

monkees19 New Jersey
12/17/16 7:08 am

I was thinking the same thing!

WallyBarbuckle
12/17/16 12:07 pm

Or they've owned several Microsoft products that broke way too soon.