LeftLibertarian December 17th, 2016 6:41am

(From an online political quiz) Should military service be mandatory?

PyroSadist like my comments follow
12/23/16 12:20 pm

No... But if you want any government educational assistance money then yes that is how you should have to go about getting it

commonsense Pedo Joe
12/17/16 8:09 pm

It would be nice. Give our children disabling and respect for themselves even when parents fail. Also, it would teach people to not fear but to respect guns.

callen002 Cincinnati
12/17/16 11:03 am

I'd rather have economics and history be mandatory (unbiased versions) and personal finance.

Harry3603 Tampa Bay Florida.
12/17/16 8:45 am

It is actually the best reason that Switzerland and Israel have remained secure!

DrCarpenter Florence, Italy
12/17/16 7:37 am

No, that would be unconstitutional.

Harry3603 Tampa Bay Florida.
12/17/16 8:48 am

Where on Earth did you get that? Have you actually read the Constitution?

DrCarpenter Florence, Italy
12/17/16 8:49 am

13th Amendment, involuntary servitude.

Harry3603 Tampa Bay Florida.
12/17/16 9:10 am

You may be intellectually challenged, the 13th Amendment abolishes"slavery", not defending one's country!

DrCarpenter Florence, Italy
12/17/16 9:35 am

If you are unable to stop insulting me, we will have no further discussion. I may not agree with you, but that does not make me "intellectually challenged."

I am an undergraduate currently dual enrolled in graduate courses and have studied Constitutional law under both scholars of the Supreme Court and of Constitutional law.

The Amendment says, "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States"

It is in my opinion that compulsory conscription falls under the above category. Congress' right to "raise and support Armies," is not enough.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
12/17/16 2:29 pm

Well you certainly shut him up, DrC 😂. "Today he learned.."

MericaTakesAll For God and Country
12/17/16 5:50 pm

Carpenter, that isn't entirely accurate. The government has implemented three drafts in US history despite one's "involuntary servitude".

DrCarpenter Florence, Italy
12/17/16 6:27 pm

Your comment implies that the US government cannot do something that is unconstitutional. That's obviously not true.

MericaTakesAll For God and Country
12/17/16 7:02 pm

No, my comment implies that the government CAN do something "unconstitutional" by your standards.. but what you call "unconstitutional" was surely not the case. The draft is constitutional as long as it is written in accord with the practices of America's two world wars, which allowed some objections to armed service.

Harry3603 Tampa Bay Florida.
12/17/16 8:21 pm

Well, I am not a graduate student anymore or a lawyer, but I believe the 13th Amendment is unchanged from 1941 through 1946. Was the draft that existed right through the Vietnam war unconstitutional? The Supreme Court has been so fickle. Are they changing laws now? Isn't that unconstitutional?

Harry3603 Tampa Bay Florida.
12/17/16 8:25 pm

Sorry Laserbeam, all I learned from DC is that lawyers in politics is a conflict of interest.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
12/17/16 6:58 am

Nope. I'd much prefer to work alongside people who want to serve, not people who are forced to serve.

Harry3603 Tampa Bay Florida.
12/17/16 9:03 am

Fortunately they had both for World War Two. What we have now is an essential need that is easily avoided by children of privilege! Why should risking ones life be based on family resources? There are no Kennedy family members serving in the Military anymore (JFK relatives), because they don't have to.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
12/17/16 3:24 pm

Both have been possible for much of history. Again, I just think that on average, the caliber of people serving will be higher with an all-volunteer force than one that includes conscription.

Metamorphosis
12/17/16 6:30 am

I answered no but I think a year of service to your country should be mandatory (no exceptions or deferments). It could be military or non-military service.

Nuclear Boaty McBoatface
12/17/16 2:53 am

Ugh. No thank you. 🖐

Mackinaw Wolverine State, est.1837
12/17/16 2:50 am

Service? No. But military training, perhaps. The militia has all but been dissolved and that's quite dangerous in my opinion.