ronderman December 17th, 2016 12:01am

My daughter is raising money to go to Canada for a mission trip. She has raised over 800.00 in less than a month by baking and selling brownies. Have you ever raised money? If yes, what creative ways did you raise money?

NKarta Please excuse my sanity
12/17/16 7:33 pm

Shoveling snow and working in the school canteen. Theres also a website called fiver that a friend told me about. I have never used it but the idea is you put in your skills and people pay $5 for you to do a small job for them (eg. design a birthday card)

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
12/17/16 2:20 pm

I used to make and sell macrame jewelry to be able to afford new surfboards (I have my boards custom made to my exact specifications). My current board is nearing retirement so maybe I'll start doing that again 😁

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/17/16 11:27 am

My wife's (and daughter's) Senior Girl Scout troop raised money every year by picking up people's Christmas trees and taking them to the designated dumping sites. We had it organized where a dad would drive the pick up truck and two or three girls would go along and load the trees in the truck and pick up the donation envelope from under the front mat. We had people call our answering machine and leave their name and number, then we would call them back to schedule their pick up. As we replied to the phone messages, we would fill out a form for our use, which recorded their name, address, and phone number, so we could contact them by postcard the next year for repeat business. The girls raised in Knouff money each year to take a major trip. One year they went on a cruise, another year to New York City, another to New Orleans, and another year to Minnesota to go river rafting. But the best may have been their spring break trip to hike across the Grand Canyon.

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
12/17/16 9:15 am

Good for her! Everybody uses "gofundme" accounts for everything these days- it's nice to see a kid earn it the old fashioned way!

kywrite augusta, ga
12/17/16 7:50 am

Lots, now that I think about it, from school age on. Ran a Sadie Hawkins dance once. Worked for Goodwill and organized a silent auction of donated goods I called around to collect. That was incredible: I learned that just about any company will cheerfully, even joyfully, donate products to causes they like. Totally got me over the fear of soliciting donations.

pjpony Sacramento, CA
12/17/16 12:13 am

We did a lot of fundraisers when I was in sorority. It might be a good idea to team up with others who need to raise money for the trip and do some fundraisers. Some of the things we did were yard sales, car washes, and fundraisers with local restaurants where people come in with a flyer and a percentage of their bill goes to your fundraiser

swervin Maryland
12/16/16 11:54 pm

Sold my body. 50 cents per time. I made 25 cents!

McMurphyJohnson say what now
12/16/16 7:33 pm

Sold treats outside church when I was younger.

kawaiichan somewhere
12/16/16 7:14 pm

When I was 12 I wanted a computer, which was 1,200, so my dad made a deal if I raised 600 he'd match it and pay the tax. So the way I raised money is me and my mom made sweets for my neighborhood, church, school, and my parents work. In the me and mom made 1,700.

Kay41 the Midwest
12/16/16 7:05 pm

Wow, that's a great profit. Good luck to her!

EarlyBird Portland
12/16/16 6:14 pm

Rounder, if you had a way to take donations, I'd contribute.

12/16/16 6:30 pm

That's incredibly sweet. That wasn't the purpose of the poll so I'm very unprepared for that. I can give you the name and address of the church. You could write a check to the church (which would make it tax deductible) and include a letter specifying that it go to the VG (high school choir) Calgary trip.

That's the only way I can think of you doing it without mailing me (or my daughter) a personal check.

EarlyBird Portland
12/16/16 6:33 pm

Yes, great idea. Let me know the address and any other info I need and I'll do it.

12/16/16 6:35 pm

Ok. I want to make sure to give you the correct info. Let me make a call and I will let you know the proper way to address the check.

12/16/16 7:53 pm

Ok. If you feel led, the address to the church is:

Calvary Baptist Church
5000 Country Club Rd
Winston Salem NC 27014

Payable to Calvary Baptist Church.
In the memo section, put "VG Calgary/Sarah Helderman"

Whether you donate or not, thank you for the thought.

Malekithe R lyeh
12/16/16 5:51 pm

My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment. I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

CTYankee!!! Connecticut
12/16/16 5:45 pm

Do you live in CT?
I could go for some goood brownies

CTYankee!!! Connecticut
12/16/16 5:46 pm

Don't be sad. CT is in economic chaos.

Blarney Wrightville
12/16/16 5:20 pm

$800 from baking brownies?! Better check her recipe and make sure there's no 'Colorado Herb' on the ingredients list 😉

Praetorianus Fair enough.
12/16/16 5:12 pm

Only a flea market where half the earnings went to improving a park. It was only about $200 in today's money but above the average contributor.

gow488 Wisconsin
12/16/16 5:11 pm

Huh. I thought mission trips usually go to poorer places that aren't Christian.

12/16/16 5:19 pm

Mission trips are for any place where there are people who don't know Christ. They can be to the slums of Africa or the suburbs of DC.

Per capita, there are VERY few Christians in Calgary. Our church had planted several churches in the city. The youth are going to go do block parties and serve some of the communities surrounding the churches.

gow488 Wisconsin
12/16/16 5:30 pm

It still just seems weird to me that they are going on a mission trip to rich majority Christian city up in Canada.

Kimbobee the middle of nowhere
12/16/16 5:33 pm

Mormons go on mission trips all throughout the US and other rich Christian countries as well.

12/16/16 5:34 pm

Definitely not majority Christian.

gow488 Wisconsin
12/16/16 5:36 pm

Kimbobee - I wouldn't find it strange if they go to places in the U.S. but I find it interesting that they are going all the way to Canada.

12/16/16 5:44 pm

Calgary is a place where people gather from all over the world. The hope is to make a difference there and then those people will go home to other parts of the world and they will change the world.

Nuclear Boaty McBoatface
12/17/16 2:24 am

I guess going somewhere where people need actual help is to inconvenient.

12/17/16 4:54 am

Wow. That's incredibly judgmental and speaking from a position of ignorance. People everywhere have needs and needs aren't just physical.

My church has sent people to China, the slums of Iraq, Cuba, war torn Berma, refugee camps all over the world, orphanages, Russia, several countries in Africa, disaster areas in NC (flooding), and the aftermath of Katrina.

And yes, we send people to places like NYC and Calgary. There are poor people everywhere. There are people suffering everywhere. Who gives you the right to tell people that their needs (starving children, homeless, run down schools, broken communities) are not as big as another city? Whether that city is Calgary, Havana, or even Winston Salem NC?

@Nuclear I ask, have you gone to serve? Not necessarily spiritual needs. What have you done?

Nuclear Boaty McBoatface
12/17/16 5:35 am

Many hundreds of feet under the ocean, for nuclear deterrence. I serve my country.

I don't tie my help with an allegiance to a certain dogma.

12/17/16 5:41 am

You were doing this as a 14 year old high school student?

I do not wish to take anything away from your service. You have chosen a career of service to your country. You are to be honored and respected for that choice. You are protecting me and my family and you are giving us safety so that we can go other places to serve. Thank you for that.

That said, the service that you have chosen and the service that my daughter has chosen are two different things. I believe neither should be disrespected and both should be honored for what it is.

Nuclear Boaty McBoatface
12/17/16 5:44 am

Proselyting is only a service to one's church though.

12/17/16 5:52 am

Again, you are speaking out of ignorance. You honestly think we are taking 150+ high schoolers across a continent and putting them on street corners with bullhorns? If that were the case, I wouldn't support it either.

They will spend their days repairing playgrounds, doing camps and parties in underprivileged neighborhoods, cleaning up schools, and many other things.

We are partnering with people who are established in the community currently who know what the needs are. They inform us of those needs and then we go and we take care of those needs.

Yes, the ultimate goal of the trip is to spread the Gospel of Christ, but we aren't going to spend the majority of our time speaking about Jesus. Instead, we are spending the majority of our time showing the love of Christ to people through our actions and our service.

Nuclear Boaty McBoatface
12/17/16 5:53 am

Doing charity work out of the goodness of your heart is admirable. Doing it in a self serving way, not so much.

12/17/16 6:01 am

I seriously can't believe I am having to defend my daughter and my church for raising money in order to serve other people. No matter the reasons.

How is it self serving that in the last month, she has baked, sold, and delivered over 70 pans of brownies all while still being a full time student? How is it self serving that she will go out of her comfort zone and help other people where they live?

Our world is full of self absorbed teenagers who think of nobody but themselves and you are denigrating a group of students for wanting to do something, ANYTHING, for someone else because you disagree with the message? Can you not see how messed up your position is?

I could use the same tactic against you. You are being paid to serve your country. You are using that service to better your life. You are using that service to provide for your family. That's self serving. Does that lessen you or your service in my eyes? Not one bit.

kywrite augusta, ga
12/17/16 7:58 am

Ronderman, this submariner's wife agrees with you wholeheartedly.

Nuclear Boaty McBoatface
12/17/16 8:12 am

You're taking this way too hard. And personally.

First. I never said that I did anything selflessly.
Second. No matter how you spin it, these things can be done without religious pressure put on anyone else.
Third. I don't really care specifically about your daughter so you can stop feeling personally attacked because it's not about YOU. In fact, that's the very point.
Fourth. No, I don't think the people of Calgary are in that desperate need. Its also pretty nice there. More like a vacation where you do community service.

I think it's utterly prentious that people brag about mission trips. You go somewhere, find the most easily manipulated and down on their luck people, do something nice for them, then guilt them into some religious dogma. Why not just do good? The church obviously wants something out of it.

Nuclear Boaty McBoatface
12/17/16 8:14 am

Besides, I would never have mentioned my career if you had not so smugly asked how I contribute. So don't try and use it against me.

12/17/16 8:29 am

1. No, you didn't say you ever did anything selflessly. You just judged others.

2. You are assuming that religious pressure is being applied. It's not.

3. While you may not have personally attacked me or my daughter, you invited this discussion by commenting on the poll in a passive aggressive way. I felt the need to defend myself after reading your comments.

4. I'm glad that you have been to every part of the city of Calgary. You must know that everyone's emotional, physical, and spiritual needs are met. You know this better than the people we are partnering with who live in those communities.

5. It is not my intention to use your profession against you. Quite the contrary, I honor it.

12/17/16 8:29 am

Kywrite, thank you.

Nuclear Boaty McBoatface
12/17/16 8:37 am

So you serve people's spiritual needs without religion? Give me a break. It's proselyting wrapped in charity to gain favor. It's not anything to pat one's self on the back for.

However you're right, I'm being kind of a bitch and I'd like to formally blame it on the pain killers from a surgery yesterday. Haha

I didn't mean to insult your daughter, it really was never my intention, and I apologize for not saying so sooner. I'm sure she's worked very hard, more than she has to, and it's good she's giving back, although I disagree with the medium (but that's my gripe with society, not you).

12/17/16 9:06 am

Thank you for all of that. What kind of surgery? Surely that didn't happen on the sub?

JennaB Mother
12/16/16 5:09 pm

Play music on the street obviously

12/16/16 5:05 pm

When I was in high school, a nonprofit did a Kiss a Pig contest. Local celebrities participated and you could donate money as votes for which local celebrity you wanted to kiss the pig.

Okie1967 Defend the Police
12/16/16 5:05 pm

I hope she raises it all and gets to go. Those Canadians are real heathens.

12/16/16 5:06 pm

Seriously!

Last year they took 185 to Washington DC. They are going somewhere else this year. D.C. Must have been TOO lost 😜

alynn Somewhere wonderful
12/17/16 3:56 pm

Hey!! We're not all lost. 😉

12/16/16 5:04 pm

Her high school choir is taking a group of about 150 students to Calgary Canada this summer. They haven't released how much money it will take, but she wanted to be proactive. She is selling them for $12.00/pan of brownies. They are VERY good.