flyonthewall July 10th, 2013 10:53pm

You are pursuing a major in college. A class is required that has nothing to do with your major or any skills you will need for your career. Is the college money hungry, or just trying to make you a well-rounded individual?

comppete Las Vegas
07/10/13 10:26 pm

I had to take my GenEds classes when I went too. But, after I took them, I actually liked them. I did not find them a waste of time or money. Maybe it was due to great teachers. It does give you the ability to say, you have a well rounded Education.

flyonthewall Oklahoma
07/10/13 10:35 pm

I think that several of my classes would have been more interesting with better teachers. A great teacher can make the dullest subject interesting.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
07/10/13 9:39 pm

Either way, my well-roundedness is my choice.

lmurder MDK
07/10/13 9:22 pm

I believe the people who go to obtain their teaching degree should be versed in one subject instead of just "education". Than maybe our youth would have more passion and know what the 13 colonies are.

lmurder MDK
07/10/13 9:58 pm

Gotta love auto correct in the year 2013

cyanospool The Deep North
07/10/13 7:40 pm

I really hate this kind of thing. I'm majoring in microbiology and at this point, the only kind of diversity education I need is about that among bacteria populations. Do "No-BS, core-courses-only" colleges exist?

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/10/13 8:19 pm

No - as someone who works in education - a community college - and who has acquired three degrees - I can tell you - some knowledge is simply important to who you are. Also, there are standards that colleges must meet in order to give degrees

cyanospool The Deep North
07/10/13 8:29 pm

Electives like humanities I'd be willing to take and have for my own benefit. But if they're irrelevant to the degree, they shouldn't be required. Different career fields can choose employees with additional education over those who don't anyway.

cyanospool The Deep North
07/10/13 8:32 pm

This would actually make it easier for businesses to choose the best employees too since they could show they have a specific degree in the field, and then a variety of categories of additional study fields, like sub-minors.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/10/13 8:32 pm

I have a degree in leadership and one of my required classes was called leadership and imagination. It taught us how to use creative arts (drawing, sculpting, writing, even film appreciation) to sharpen our skills with regards to seeing different

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/10/13 8:34 pm

Solutions to problems. I would think that would be an important skill for nurses too. Being able to come up with solutions on your feet?

flyonthewall Oklahoma
07/10/13 9:12 pm

You do have to think on your feet in nursing. But in both nursing and micro, I can't imagine being put in a situation where I would need to (or even be able to) use creative arts to solve problems. It would be good to know; I just can't see using it

flyonthewall Oklahoma
07/10/13 9:14 pm

For either career. I have worked in an ER and currently work for a medical lab inside a hospital, and creative arts don't come into play. At least not in my experience. If you wanted to be a nursing or lab manager, that might be different.

smacc DunningKruger
07/10/13 5:41 pm

It's college, it's all about rounding your education. It makes you a better SOH participant. If that is not what you want there's always trade school.

flyonthewall Oklahoma
07/10/13 7:39 pm

I'm all for being a good SOH participant. But not when it involves taking a class I don't need for my career that is going to cost me hundreds of dollars (maybe thousands when you add in books).

flyonthewall Oklahoma
07/10/13 9:09 pm

Most likely, it'll be art appreciation.

smacc DunningKruger
07/10/13 9:33 pm

@fly Point taken. The cost of a college education is absurd and undermines its purpose. The cost for me can't compare even if I had to pay my own way. As I recall it was $23.00/credit hour. Sorry that I made light of this.

flyonthewall Oklahoma
07/10/13 9:45 pm

Oh no hurt feelings here. :) I am in shock... $23/credit hour! The price of college is horrific these days. In January, I will have to shell out around $1400 for my books. It's highway robbery.

smacc DunningKruger
07/10/13 9:51 pm

Books averaged around $25 each for me used and we could turn them back in for credit on the next batch. This was the early 80s.

jmw7477 Indiana
07/10/13 4:53 pm

Many of the electives I chose had nothing to do with the major I'd planned on. I was going for education, but to fill a science elective, one of my classes was The Physics of Star Trek.

badattitude no place like home
07/10/13 4:46 pm

Years ago, before I was born, the first 4 years were for for general education. You didn't declare a major until your masters degree. Similar to med school after your undergraduate degree today.

fixitlater My Life
07/10/13 4:21 pm

I can say from experience that there will be times in your career and personal life where people are going to expect you to know something that is totally outside your norm. Study up!

cyanospool The Deep North
07/10/13 7:44 pm

You can study up on a lot of things without having to pay forth a ton of money to have some idiot read the textbook aloud to you.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/10/13 8:21 pm

You have the right to expect more than that if the instructor - that for sure

flyonthewall Oklahoma
07/10/13 9:19 pm

I do a lot of studying and reading on my own time because it interests me. I enjoy learning. It just bothers me to have to pay a ridiculous sum of money (and possibly end up with a bad teacher to boot) to study something that doesn't apply to my

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/10/13 4:02 pm

I take a lot of classes which don't particularly pertain to my degree, but I want to advance my understanding in as many areas and avenues of life as possible.

Emily33 North Carolina
07/10/13 3:57 pm

Both. It's an excuse for making more money while still claiming you are "well rounded".
That was basically my first two years of college.

flyonthewall Oklahoma
07/10/13 3:56 pm

I am a nursing major who is going to have to take an art appreciation class. That's why this question came to mind.

knetzere Illinois
07/10/13 4:12 pm

I'm an engineer that took art film theater appreciation. It certainly hasn't benefited my career in any way.

I can't see how someone cane 'teach' you how to appreciate art or music

fixitlater My Life
07/10/13 4:24 pm

I love that you will be a nurse! I spent forever feeling like I need to serve a greater good and not anything less. I have finally realized my greater good is worth serving . Please think about this for a little why and make sure it does not apply.