TomLaney1 July 10th, 2013 4:09pm

This Brazilian thing's insane (not the wax, the soccer murders)! Does it indicate a breakdown of society or morals in general? (Would somebody post a link for me in comments, please, for those who haven't heard?)

FrozenPhoton Behind the Shadows
07/12/13 6:02 pm

Funny new pic!
But why does it say TOM?
You should edit that...

kilokalex Sanity is for the weak
07/10/13 9:32 am

Soccer that's the problem. More people die at soccer matches than any other sport. Two countries went to war over a soccer game.

fredd TrumpLand
07/10/13 10:14 am

The football war? The matches were a catalyst for the conflict but not the cause.

kilokalex Sanity is for the weak
07/10/13 10:36 am

I know but still Canada never invaded the US in any part due to hockey.

fredd TrumpLand
07/10/13 10:39 am

And El Salvador never invaded Honduras (or was it the other way around?) due to a soccer game.

mabbou Omaha
07/10/13 10:49 am

You just wait. Those Vancouver riots were just the start. I wouldn't be shocked if they are planning an invasion of Minnesota right now.

Kay41 the Midwest
07/10/13 9:26 am

There have been countless incidents like this throughout history so I don't think it is an indication of a breakdown. To me what is more telling is the amount of disgust and outcry against it. That sense of good morals is still there for most of us.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/10/13 10:22 am

But, Kay, they beheaded the ref and put his head on a stake! I've never heard of such a thing in a modern civilized nation. Have I just been unaware of similar incidents?

Kay41 the Midwest
07/10/13 11:14 am

I am not condoning what they did in any way. I am just saying violet actions like this are not new.

JanuaryLove
07/10/13 2:03 pm

I agree with Kay. It's not new. It's not a sign of the breakdown of society. It's a horrifying example of the angry mob mentality. Terrible things happen when a huge group of angry people set their sites on a common target.

susanr Colorado
07/10/13 9:21 am

I don't see why this is being seen as anything more than an isolated incident... in an isolated part... of another country.

susanr Colorado
07/10/13 9:15 am

I don't know what the best source would be, but of the first few that came up, it looks OK - it's a USA Today piece. Easy to Google if you don't like this one. m.usatoday.com/article/news/2498993

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
07/10/13 9:14 am

It'll get worse. Relative morality is very dangerous.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/10/13 9:13 am

Folks, I'm afraid it's a harbinger of worse things to come, not just an isolated incident. Comments, please!

d0m333 Pennsylvania
07/10/13 9:15 am

In a world where morality is subjective it is to be expected.