NUwriter
07/09/13 8:27 pm

So, Skinner, if I live in a neighborhood, and the local mafia comes around asking for "protection money", is that also not theft, or is it just the optional fee that I agree to for living in their "territory"?

political Georgia
07/09/13 12:00 pm

What would you like to replace it with? Generalizations are fine, I am just curious.

skinner Wisconsin
07/09/13 12:11 pm

I'm starting to like the whole fair tax idea.

political Georgia
07/09/13 1:38 pm

Really! Surprisingly, I use to oppose the fair tax. However, the more I read about the fair tax the more I like it.

NUwriter
07/09/13 7:54 pm

So if you drive the burglar out of your house, what would you replace him with?

skinner Wisconsin
07/09/13 7:55 pm

Taxation isn't theft.

NUwriter
07/09/13 8:14 pm

Taxation most certainly is theft. It is the taking of property without consent, under the threat of violence.

skinner Wisconsin
07/09/13 8:18 pm

No, there is no threat of violence, and it's an optional fee that you agree to by living here.

NUwriter
07/09/13 8:24 pm

There's no threat of violence? Seriously? Right, don't pay your taxes. Men with guns will knock on your door and take you away. If you resist, they may kill you. It is by no means optional.

skinner Wisconsin
07/09/13 8:25 pm

They will detain you but they have never killed anyone for not paying taxes, stop exaggerating. The government needs a source of income.

NUwriter
07/09/13 8:28 pm

NUwriter
07/09/13 8:30 pm

Skinner, I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. Tax evasion is a crime the government takes seriously, and the police have killed people who have resisted arrest.

I need a source of income, I don't rob my neighbors to get it.

skinner Wisconsin
07/09/13 8:32 pm

Gangs are not elected and lack the legitimacy of a government. How would you suggest the government gets its income, taxation has been that system for thousands of years.

NUwriter
07/09/13 8:35 pm

Gangs are more legitimate than government, as they lack the hypocrisy. Gangs don't ask to be thanked and adulated. That some fraction of the people approve of taxation does make it valid. A popular gang is still a gang. Theft is theft.

NUwriter
07/09/13 8:36 pm

How would to fund a government - voluntarily - the way every other provider of a good or service is funded.

political Georgia
07/09/13 8:15 am

If there is ever a time to advocate for a new tax system to replace the IRS now is the time. Recently, the IRS released some people's social security numbers.