Wink July 9th, 2013 1:11pm

If you were going to move to another country, would you try to embrace the culture, or would you try to surround yourself with the familiarities of home?

DavesNotHere where am I
07/09/13 2:55 pm

I'd learn the language and culture. Wouldn't want to be an outcast or ostracized.

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
07/09/13 12:53 pm

Both, if I'm moving to another country, I need to learn the language and culture. I would still keep little bits of home around, though.

techkak north coast
07/09/13 10:56 am

I would assimilate, but also have traditions I grew up with in my home.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/09/13 9:35 am

Both - in my home I would want some familiarity. But I would also want to go out and explore all my new country had to offer. I will assume that slowly I would bring my new country into my home as well

Jeninerd Hoth, AK
07/09/13 9:22 am

Some of both but probably mostly assimilate. That seems like the best way to get the most out of the experience, regarding both knowledge and enjoyment.

canecorso Las Vegas Nv
07/09/13 8:39 am

It's important to learn the language and culture of any country you move to. Doesn't mean you can't speak your language or celebrate your culture, but why move to another country if you don't want to assimilate?

canecorso Las Vegas Nv
07/09/13 8:46 am

I would never leave a country I loved for money. I would stay and accept less money or try to make my country better. I sure as hell wouldn't go to another county and declare my home country the best.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
07/09/13 7:19 am

It would depend on the culture. I would try to eat the local foods and just try local customs.

mikeey1962 on SOH where else
07/09/13 8:21 am

But I would need monthly care packages from home... I love trying new stuff, but its nice to have some home too.

Wink
07/09/13 6:13 am

This question was inspired by a coworker. She has been in the US for over 15 years and did not know what pie was until yesterday.

Wink
07/09/13 6:14 am

Everyone needs little touches of "home" to feel comfortable, but not embracing the culture of where you live would just make the day-to-day harder in my opinion.

mikeey1962 on SOH where else
07/09/13 8:24 am

Funny you never think of these things, another country and all, but I have a friend who moved here from New York, he is 47 -and had never driven a car till he moved here.. Had to take drivers ed and everything,