JustBob July 8th, 2013 1:42pm

Should the father of an unborn child have any rights regarding whether or not the mother receives an abortion?

TreeHugs Oregon
07/08/13 10:05 pm

It's the woman that carries the biggest burden give so she has the final say. The father certainly should have input, but he should never be allowed to force a woman to abort or carry his child to term if she doesn't want to.

fixitlater My Life
07/08/13 5:46 pm

I read through most of the comments below. It is a sin that the baby doesn't get a choice. ProLife except for rape and prevailing health conditions. Sex is procreation not recreation.

eLucidate writing
07/08/13 8:47 am

Tough Q. In the end, from a legal standpoint, I said no. Even if the father wants to and is able to support the potential child you can't force a women to carry that child. If she is depressed than it may have serious effects on development.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
07/08/13 8:59 am

I was thinking the father wanted to abort

eLucidate writing
07/08/13 9:03 am

I dot think he can legally argue for it. On a personal level I think a father would express that if that's what he wants.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
07/08/13 9:09 am

I don't think, legally he can either. Should he be able to legally force an abortion if he feels he cannot raise the child?

EarlyBird Portland
07/08/13 9:59 am

I have a thought: the man agrees he won't sue the woman for financial support of the child, if she agrees to carry the baby to term.

canecorso Las Vegas Nv
07/08/13 10:12 am

Justbob I'm thinking if the man don't want the baby but the woman does, he should be able to sign his rights away. Same applies for reverse. If he wants the baby and she doesn't she signs her rights away. Making parenting a more even acting field.

Kris Humidity Central
07/08/13 10:18 am

Men can get a "legal abortion" of sorts, where they relinquish all custody and ties to a child. It is usually used for when gay or lesbian couples want a child and use a third party to help. The third party relinquishes all custody.

eLucidate writing
07/08/13 10:23 am

The laws in some states unfairly target te father regardless if what kind if agreement has been reached.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
07/08/13 11:08 am

Canecorso, would that include child support? Because that may open up a whole new can of worms.

canecorso Las Vegas Nv
07/08/13 11:26 am

Justbob yes. You are the only one that wants to be a parent, you assume full responsibility.

canecorso Las Vegas Nv
07/08/13 7:52 am

Also I have to say if the woman got pregnant because of rape the father should have no rights, even if she decided to keep the baby.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
07/08/13 8:54 am

I think most if not all would agree, a couple of my friends were discussing, if the woman wanted to keep the baby and the man wanted to abort, who gets the choice? Most said the woman, but the really interesting reason I heard as to why...

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
07/08/13 8:58 am

Is "if the man didn't want to have a child, he should have worn a condom." Which sounds pro life ish. So I got to thinking, if he could win a battle to make her have it, should she be financially responsible for it?

Minyanko Tumblr
07/08/13 4:35 pm

I agree with that comment. In case of rape and she wants to keep, which that's prolly what i would do, and just put the child for adoption, then he has no rights. If consensual, you pay to support your kid. Makes sense.

Rocker saved by grace
07/08/13 7:38 am

The man helped make the baby, he should have a say.

canecorso Las Vegas Nv
07/08/13 7:38 am

I don't think giving a man rights to his unborn child is taking control away from women over their bodies, they had the option of not becoming pregnant in the first place.

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/08/13 7:42 am

The man also had the option not to sleep with her. Blaming the woman for everything is not a valid argument.

canecorso Las Vegas Nv
07/08/13 7:50 am

Not blaming the woman. We are going off the premise that the man wants the child. If a man and woman have sex and one wants a child and the other doesn't isn't it logical to expect the one that doesn't want a child to be the one to take precautions?

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/08/13 8:09 am

I always think precautions with birth control should be first. But on the chance it fails, or neither uses it, it is still her decision. Both sexes are guilty of casual sex, but women are the ones giving birth and sacrificing more of their lives

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/08/13 8:10 am

than a man would have too. There are already too many men that run away and don't pay support for the children they already have.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
07/08/13 8:26 am

I have full custody of all my children and pay spouse support so she can keep partying. Women shirk responsibility as well.

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/08/13 9:15 am

Yes they do. And I think it's great that fathers want to be apart of their kids lives. But I will not allow someone to force me to give birth or force me to have an abortion. There are many pro choice men also. My body, my choice.

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/08/13 7:14 am

I think she should discuss the pregnancy with the father. Other than that it should always be a woman's right to decide. It would give people too much power & control over a woman's life and body.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
07/08/13 7:18 am

Should the father have a right to know about the pregnancy at all? And if so, could there be repercussions for not telling him?

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/08/13 7:40 am

Personally I would tell him and want to discuss it. But this not the case with everyone. I don't think it should be required to notify him if its ultimately her decision. There would be no point in it.

Kay41 the Midwest
07/08/13 7:04 am

I believe so. I realize that this isn't the answer a lot of women will agree with. But,I strongly feel that it is the man's child too and he has the right to raise it if he wants.

GetEduc8d learning more everyday
07/08/13 7:06 am

Just curious, have you ever been pregnant?

canecorso Las Vegas Nv
07/08/13 7:35 am

I agree Kay. I know several single fathers raising their children by themselves and it would have been a shame if the mothers of those children had denied them that right because of an abortion.

EarlyBird Portland
07/08/13 7:36 am

I agree with Kay 100%.
Just because a pregnant woman doesn't want the baby, doesn't mean the man doesn't. If the man wants to raise this child, he should have equal opportunity.

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/08/13 11:30 am

Kay & EB, so you would have an abortion if the father wanted you too? not all men want a baby either and plenty are pro choice. It's not just the women.

EarlyBird Portland
07/08/13 11:37 am

PBJ - I think if either party wants to have the child, they should have the right to have it.
The man can want the woman to have an abortion, but if she chooses to keep the baby, she keeps the baby.

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/08/13 11:51 am

So the man can dictate one thing, but not the other? Doesn't make sense. People are assuming its the mother that wants abortion, and not the father. I read it as the father wants abortion, but not the mother.

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/08/13 11:52 am

The question never clearly stated who wanted the abortion. Because of that I don't want a man deciding at all if I keep it or abort it. It leaves me absolutely powerless.

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/08/13 12:05 pm

Based on your answer and the question asked I assume you don't think the man should have final say, since you wouldn't abort. I believe there are just as many men that will pick abortion as there are women. They shouldn't force either one on a woman.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/08/13 6:45 am

I have very, very mixed feelings on this. One day, I want to be a father... If my wife and I decided that we wanted to have a child, and then she turns around and has an abortion behind my back, I'd be pretty upset.
On the other hand, I'm very pro-

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/08/13 6:47 am

women. I believe that they should have complete control over the decisions which affect their body.
That being said, though, I also lean towards pro-life, except in instances of incest, rape or health threatening cases for either the mother or child.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/08/13 6:48 am

I believe that it should definitely be discussed with the father...
Very tough decision, but I said - no.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
07/08/13 6:49 am

I was going to add that there were no health risk involved, but didn't want to clutter it. As far as the rape or incest father, I thought it would be a dumb question. :/

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/08/13 6:51 am

Based on the question, though, it is left up to the reader to determine whether or not extenuating circumstances come into play. It complicates the decision greatly, in my opinion. In the end, I believe it is ultimately the mother's decision... /:

GetEduc8d learning more everyday
07/08/13 7:06 am

You summed up my thoughts exactly. It is a tough one.