rebelfury76 July 8th, 2013 9:44am

Do you see anything morally or ethically wrong with putting a sign from a home security company in your yard or on your doors without being a customer of theirs?

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
07/08/13 10:02 am

I would not do it, but it can be a deterrent to some criminals.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
07/08/13 9:07 am

I said yes because I don't know all the details about how you obtained the sign. Did you steal it from someone else's yard? Was it a freebie?
As far the sign itself? Meh. I'd rather have a firearm myself.

Charence East Tennessee
07/08/13 8:13 am

Thanks to the ever empowering Internet, you can go online and purchase home security signs. Or you can do like some of us print up fake signs with fake security companies. The crooks aren't smart enough to Google Grandaddy's security.

NUwriter
07/08/13 7:51 am

It should be illegal if you stole the sign.

NUwriter
07/08/13 7:49 am

It's dishonest, but should not be illegal.

susanr Colorado
07/08/13 6:38 am

Besides that it's a lie and you're effectively stealing? That would be enough for me.

bballard92 taste the rainbow
07/08/13 6:37 am

It isn't wrong, just kind of nonsensical. I understand the point and reasoning, but it did make me chuckle thinking that some people really do that.

TomM
07/08/13 6:27 am

My dad has put them up. Got them from a friend at a security company. He had very few of them, apparently they keep inventory.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
07/08/13 4:52 am

Perhaps you purchased a home previously receiving their services. I wouldn't go tearing off stickers stating my home was monitored by a security service for Pere's sake.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
07/08/13 4:53 am

If I owned the company, I think of it as free advertisement.

Liberty 4,032,064
07/08/13 4:36 am

It depends on what if on the sign:
If you're claiming to have their service, I would say you're lying and that's obviously immoral.
If it just has the company name or logo, I don't think there's anything immoral about that.

YouWantMeToPay ... for THIS
07/08/13 4:03 am

Id consider it advertising for the company more so than stealing.

Carolinaaa My name is not Carol.
07/08/13 3:51 am

The idea behind those signs is that they're supposed to act as a deterrent, as part of the security service. So if you put up a sign without paying, you're essentially stealing from the company.

I personally wouldn't want a sign even if I had the service, for the same reason you mentioned below.

LochnessMonster Milky way
07/08/13 2:55 am

Works as a deterrent. My mom has one at her house and we've never been broken into.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/08/13 2:57 am

Can't really assume that that's why, but I'm glad.

I'm of the opinion that these signs advertise the homes where people have something to protect, besides themselves of course, and tells a professional burglar to just cut the power. My two cents.

LochnessMonster Milky way
07/08/13 3:00 am

That's one reason I now live in the country in the middle of no where.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
07/08/13 5:11 am

I want a home security sign that just says "DANGER! Landmines.