rebelfury76 July 8th, 2013 8:57am

Many financial institutions are encouraging customers to open separate savings accounts for individual goals such as a vacation or for home repair. I have a couple and make contributions to them monthly. Do/would you do the same?

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
07/08/13 3:56 pm

I would like to divide up my money in one savings account...just online or something so I can see what I've saved for each thing.

Octopus
07/08/13 12:01 pm

I do so already, and have investments for the long-term goals. It's a great idea.

kspells TheOtherOtherside
07/08/13 11:32 am

I don't pay a U.S. bank to use my money so they can profit. I do like the products offered by banks in Canada. I just think their banking is less corrupt than U.S. banks are. It's personal with me, I guess because I'm uniformed, I save cash.

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
07/08/13 10:03 am

I already do. I have different accounts for different things.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/08/13 9:10 am

I think it's a great idea - wish I was that disciplined

larkspur one race. human.
07/08/13 8:25 am

I have two of my own savings accounts, a savings for each child, and retirement accounts. I take my money very seriously.

TomM
07/08/13 6:30 am

One checking, one savings. Savings for me is just what I don't spend. No science to that.

canecorso Las Vegas Nv
07/08/13 6:28 am

We have several accounts, we had them in separate banks but the banks kept pissing me off so we now have one checking and 3 savings in one bank. I live this bank, they have been good to us.

jonfrei the boonies
07/08/13 6:16 am

One of the issues with separate accounts is losing the "power" (if you can call it that at sub-2%) of compound interest. Then again, the ability to easily segregate funds might well make up for that few cents a month...

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
07/08/13 9:02 am

If interests rates were worth a damn on the average savings account, I might care. Lol.

EarlyBird Portland
07/08/13 6:06 am

I thought everyone did this

SarahD in your orbit
07/08/13 5:44 am

I have a checking account, a savings account, and a Bonnaroo account haha

coolidgecon1776 reaganconservative85
07/08/13 4:02 am

It's not that it's a bad idea per se. I am just getting more and more skeptical of banking institutions and also their potential cooperation with the government.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/08/13 5:57 am

Oh the govt totally controls the banks, have no illusions about that.

comppete Las Vegas
07/08/13 2:44 am

I used to have multiple accounts, but closed all but one and combined them. I use a budgeting program and created separate Off-Book accounts in the program. In my budget, I transfer money to each Off-Book account monthly from the Savings Account.

comppete Las Vegas
07/08/13 2:46 am

All the money is in one Savings Account, but in my budget, I have several Savings Goals Accounts and the original Savings Account shows a small balance. Banks want to charge for all kinds of things for each account. This way I pay only once.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/08/13 2:50 am

My credit union lets me open as many as I want and the interest I receive is the same. One more reason not to use a bank I guess.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/08/13 3:03 am

Tellin ya man. I've been at the same CU for 10 years now and have never had a sour taste in my mouth. They're incredible and the service is great.

jonfrei the boonies
07/08/13 6:19 am

I've been an NFCU customer since they bought out PIFCU (1981?). The only reason I have a bank account is to have a local place to deposit/cash checks. Direct deposit & all investments are through NFCU.

jonfrei the boonies
07/08/13 6:22 am

They have always been very accommodating of my needs.

LochnessMonster Milky way
07/08/13 2:02 am

I have done that but have had to empty them in emergencies and hard times. But very soon after my son is born I will be restocking a few accounts along with some outside of banks.