jonfrei July 8th, 2013 5:49am

Piracy (music, movies, software) - ok once cost have been recouped & profit made, or is it simply stealing no matter what?

bballard92 taste the rainbow
07/09/13 11:54 am

Maybe this is a shallow opinion but I don't see the issue with "piracy." The people in the movie, music, or whatever have already been paid and overpaid. Why do they need royalties too? It's almost like they've patented their name and talent.

jonfrei the boonies
07/09/13 10:04 pm

This is what most people don't understand - they get paid /as you buy/. Call it royalties or residuals, it's still their rightful pay. If you think they are paid too much, stop buying/watching, but don't steal.

jonfrei the boonies
07/09/13 10:06 pm

Near in mind also that the big names get a chunk up front, but most of the small fry count on those residuals to make their living.

jonfrei the boonies
07/09/13 10:07 pm

Think of piracy as your boss saying, "I'm not going to pay you for today because you've made enough already this week."

jonfrei the boonies
07/09/13 10:09 pm

If anyone wants to continue this conversation at more than 250 chars per entry, I've got a discussion board I'll be happy to open up.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
07/08/13 12:13 pm

I get all my stuff from pirate bay! Thank you Sweden for your lack of piracy laws.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
07/08/13 12:16 pm

I buy movies/music/books if they are by small no name people or companies but I'm sure jay z and Johnny depp aren't going to miss a night of sleep if I pirate there sh*t.

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
07/07/13 11:43 pm

I always pay for music, movies, etc. People work hard to create the entertainment I enjoy, I should pay for it. If I were an entertainer, I'd want people to pay for my movies, music, etc.

comppete Las Vegas
07/07/13 11:20 pm

My Daughter looses a little money every time someone bootlegs a copy of a movie she had a small part in. There are many people connected to these things that are not rich celebs. They are hard working People trying to make ends meet.

jonfrei the boonies
07/07/13 11:28 pm

I wrote system software for several years - residuals fed my family for several more...
I wrote /one/ piece of consumer software - over 150,000 users registered it and expected support. I got paid for less than 50 copies...

jonfrei the boonies
07/07/13 11:29 pm

Hence my challenge for the blues to answer my question...

comppete Las Vegas
07/07/13 11:49 pm

Is there anything you can do about the known users?

jonfrei the boonies
07/07/13 11:55 pm

This was years ago, and the distributor basically kept no records. (For all I can prove, I had 100K legit users & the distributor was imbezzling - but I doubt it.) it wasn't worth the effort/expense to pursue, so I dropped the product...

comppete Las Vegas
07/08/13 12:05 am

That is sad. Well, better luck on future ventures.

comppete Las Vegas
07/08/13 2:01 pm

She had a small pert in You Me And Dupree. She actually had more screen time and she spoke in the extras. She played Officer Naughty. She also was in the music video for A Lot Like Love.

jonfrei the boonies
07/07/13 11:00 pm

Ye who answered with blue, riddle me this:
My book is on your reader and you did not buy it. Other than the lack of my bruised face and physical fingers in my wallet, what separates you from a common mugger?