DukeHokie July 8th, 2013 12:41am

Why did Lincoln issue the Emancipation Proclamation freeing the slaves in the states in rebellion? Was it a military strategy or a moral obligation? What do you think?

ModerateGOP26 Maine
07/08/13 1:09 pm

I don't think it takes away from it whatsoever if it was a military strategy (which it was). By the end of his life, Lincoln was set on ending slavery, and he did that.

pockets123 New Orleans
07/08/13 8:57 am

Could it not be both?

duey in a fools paradise
07/07/13 7:58 pm

Several reasons, to keep Europe out of the war, hoped slaves would fight for their freedom, to gain support from anti slavers in the North and to focus the war on the slavery issue.

america95 Georgia
07/07/13 6:33 pm

It was to boost the morale of the north to have them fight for a cause. mainly it was to keep Britain and France from joining with the CSA, because they had already abolished it. Notice it didn't apply to border states, those were vital to victory.

skinner Jersey City
07/07/13 6:26 pm

It was a self proclaimed military strategy.

forte6627 Ugh
07/07/13 6:26 pm

Military! Fredrick Douglas always knew Lincoln did not have the humanity of blacks in mind.

Jungle in the dog house
07/07/13 6:25 pm

Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation only freed slaves in the rebelling states, not the north. So it was obviously a military move. He also planned to deport the freed slaves to the British colonies in the Caribbean after the war, but was killed first

Skarface Banned
07/07/13 6:16 pm

If it was a moral obligation, he would've freed all slaves.

america95 Georgia
07/07/13 6:31 pm

He said (this may not be word for word) "if I could preserve the union by freeing all of the slaves, I would do that, if I could do it by freeing some of the slaves, I would do that, if I could do it by freeing none of the slaves I would do that."

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/07/13 6:11 pm

"I have no purpose directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of
slavery where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so."

- Lincoln, First Inaugural, 1861

Fjolsvin Midgard
07/07/13 6:22 pm

It is interesting that he did not believe it legal but chose to do it anyway.

skinner Jersey City
07/07/13 6:28 pm

Everyone worships Lincoln too much, he wanted to ship the freed slaves to Latin America. But to be fair rebel, that quote was a failed attempt to appease the secessionists.

Fjolsvin Midgard
07/07/13 6:30 pm

Skinner I know we have gone at it in the past but that just earned you a follow. I agree Lincoln is deified and should not be he was a tyrant.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/07/13 6:32 pm

So skinner either a) he was indifferent to slavery or b) sacrificed a moral conviction about human tragedy to get elected

Either way, not some patron saint of black freedom

skinner Jersey City
07/07/13 6:53 pm

Yeah I know, that's what I said rebel

aurealis the sky
07/07/13 5:50 pm

Moral, it just included a big military bonus.

DukeHokie Back to Old Virginny
07/07/13 5:49 pm

The slaves were being used to support the Confederate military effort by building fortifications and providing other services for the troops. By freeing the slaves they could basically trade sides and fight for the North, as many did.

Fjolsvin Midgard
07/07/13 5:46 pm

Great question. I know I'm going to get buried but I think it was a military decision to deprive the south of a resource and to give the appearance of a moral rather than political struggle. It was an illegal federal seizure of property.