fixitlater My Life
07/08/13 10:01 am

Caffeine is an addiction but as of yet there are no known negative health effects unless you are pregnant or have other health concerns.

SammyTheCat Meowville, USA
07/07/13 2:08 pm

I think I would cry if I saw the ingredients in them. Monster, for example, is terrible for you. It's just chemicals.

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/07/13 1:17 pm

It makes me think if coffee is any better. An 8oz. cup of coffee has 100mg of caffeine, but can vary depending on how it's brewed. I know lots of people that drink it all day, every day.

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/07/13 1:19 pm

Seems that would exceed a couple energy drinks (depending on which one) in a one day's consumption.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/07/13 2:09 pm

I completely agree. The issue is for those who have the full calorie/sugar versions of the drinks. The sugar intake is in a league of its own...

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/07/13 2:33 pm

Yes, many will add sugar to coffee as well. Making it worse. But I did just read that coffee has antioxidants in it, so it's not as bad for you. Strictly speaking of just the caffeine in both coffee & energy drinks (even w/out sugar) have put them on

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/07/13 2:33 pm

an equal scale for me. I think some people don't realize the bad stuff they intake already, but will judge an energy drink due to its bad connotations from the media.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/07/13 2:36 pm

Exactly! Many people believe everything they hear and don't even think about the things which they already consume is bad since it isn't portrayed as such.

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/07/13 2:37 pm

But I guess since no one has died of a coffee overdose yet, there must be other good things about it. But the caffeine in it, is still high on the charts.

ebgoldrush
07/07/13 12:42 pm

It depends are you being stupid and downing 20 an hour like I've done, but also have a condition you aren't taking into consideration or no about? Each person is affected differently.

ShereKhan A very dark place.
07/07/13 12:17 pm

We see increased amount of young people coming into ER w hypertensive strokes due to this soooo I would not suggest it.

susanr Colorado
07/07/13 12:36 pm

Are they drinking excessive amounts or do you think it's an added factor on top of something else, or what?

ShereKhan A very dark place.
07/07/13 12:48 pm

I've seen it w alcohol, physical exertion and excessive amounts. When they are a poor historian sometimes it's hard to figure out how many they drank to cause it

Scrazzle Winter is Coming
07/07/13 12:16 pm

I think they're terrible for you but I still drink em when I need the energy. Sure wish I liked coffee. That would probably be a better caffeine drink.

Kris Humidity Central
07/07/13 12:08 pm

They're tasty. I like the acidic and abtifreezy taste.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/07/13 12:05 pm

They are good for me - at least 5-hour energy is. That is the one the dietician approved after my gastric surgery - I can't eat a lot of food so getting a boost of energy is helpful

rlands
07/07/13 11:59 am

I know a bunch of people who get sick off of them, but I also know people who drink them with no consequence. But I would still lean toward bad.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/07/13 12:01 pm

I drink them and I lean towards bad as well. It's all about the amount that the person consumes. (;

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/07/13 12:10 pm

I was thinking the opposite and leaned towards good, with moderation. Misuse, and people with heart problems that shouldn't drink them, is when they turn bad.

rlands
07/07/13 12:11 pm

Very true. I have one friend who drinks them like soda and they hardly affect him. I have another friend who has tried them a couple times and she gets sick every time. It depends on how you deal with it.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/07/13 12:12 pm

The problem is that the can says "limit three per day." It's been proven that three per day is not moderation, it's bordering on dangerous for your health.

rlands
07/07/13 12:13 pm

I mean it's a drug. Just like caffeine. Just like alcohol. They're all at varying levels of intensity, but they all have the same ultimate goal.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/07/13 12:15 pm

I should just start injecting it, right? ;P
(Totally kidding.)

rlands
07/07/13 12:16 pm

Haha I mean aside from legality and intensity there's actually very little difference...

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/07/13 12:18 pm

Ehhhhh, they affect the body and mind differently in most cases, but I do get your point! :D

rlands
07/07/13 12:20 pm

Ehhhhh there are different classes of drugs. But I get your point ;)

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/07/13 12:25 pm

Stimulants vs. depressants. ;P hehe

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/07/13 12:26 pm

They all have varying amounts of caffeine in them and it depends how sensitive a person is to it. Like alcohol, I think you can build a tolerance to it over time. Maybe that's where the 3 can limit comes in.

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/07/13 12:28 pm

I can see where the regular drinks can easily exceed 3 cans a day because of their tolerance. And you're right, it is a drug. There are some who are probably addicted to these drinks.

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/07/13 12:29 pm

I meant *regular drinkers

rlands
07/07/13 12:37 pm

I could definitely see people getting addicted to them. And therein lies a whole other problem...

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/07/13 11:59 am

In moderation, as anything else, they're fine.