AnnaRose July 7th, 2013 6:19pm

Do you think a serious relationship between two people with different religious beliefs could work? Could you make one work?

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
07/08/13 1:17 pm

I think it depends on how strongly they both believe in their religions. I think all religion is BS and wouldn't tolerate being in a relationship with someone who is obsessed with it.

koala834 life and the universe
07/08/13 11:12 am

Totally! Right now I'm in a relationship with a nonreligious guy and I'm episcopalian.

bballard92 taste the rainbow
07/08/13 8:48 am

It definitely wouldn't be easy, and isn't. You have to be careful not to compromise (or ask your partner to) too much of your own beliefs, but with an open mind and actual love, sure. It could happen.

KatG Liberal in Ohio
07/07/13 11:54 pm

Married for 13 years and counting. He's a Christian and I'm agnostic.

KatG Liberal in Ohio
07/07/13 11:55 pm

We are on opposite sides of the political spectrum, too. On paper, we shouldn't work, but we do!!

trollthepoll Pro Choice
07/07/13 10:21 pm

It can if both respect boundaries. For me it would not.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
07/07/13 9:43 pm

It would depend on the age group. Or to mix very clear choices before having children. At my age would probably work quite well.

commonsense America isnt racist
07/07/13 9:29 pm

My marriage, right now. Catholic/ atheist 11 years, two kids

AnnaRose Texas
07/07/13 10:05 pm

Wow there are quite a few relationships between atheists and other religions but I'm glad you guys make it work :)

May I ask what you do about raising your kids in a religion? Do you raise them Catholic?

commonsense America isnt racist
07/07/13 10:10 pm

We are raising them Christian. We attend a non-denominational church. I feel as though I have to meet her more than 1/2 way, but its okay. I think faith and religion is a good thing in the world. Regardless of whether I believe in it or not.

AnnaRose Texas
07/07/13 10:13 pm

Well I'm glad you guys are able to compromise at least that much :)

Rocker saved by grace
07/07/13 7:41 pm

The Bible tells us to not be unequally yolked, so I would say that it wouldn't work out.

logophile Florida
07/07/13 7:12 pm

I'm in one now :) I'm atheist and he is baptist.

AnnaRose Texas
07/07/13 10:05 pm

I'm happy you guys can make it work :)

kylievb317 California
07/07/13 5:00 pm

If I really loved him I would try to make it work. I would prefer an Atheist because he has no former beliefs so he would be the easiest to convert. But I don't think I could marry him if he refused to even try or consider Christianity :/

YouWantMeToPay ... for THIS
07/07/13 1:07 pm

It's a simple matter of respect.
Embrace each others differences.

bMyComrade Stumptown
07/07/13 12:44 pm

My best friend is an atheist on one of the best and strongest relationships I have ever seen with a practicing devout Catholic - so I can definitely work.

AnnaRose Texas
07/07/13 1:26 pm

That would be hard at times but I'm glad they can make it work :)

FutureMD be nice to people
07/07/13 12:41 pm

Personally, I couldn't do it. Religion is very important to me. Religion also influences a persons opinions and personality, and we need to agree on some basic things, or the relationship will never work.

aurealis the sky
07/07/13 12:12 pm

It totally could, many have done it, it just depends on both open-mindedness and attitude.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/07/13 12:08 pm

Christians are instructed not to join (romantically) with non-believers. I would tell the other person that I cared for them, but that the relationship couldn't go anywhere unless they made an attempt to learn and join my religion. - Up to them then.

AnnaRose Texas
07/07/13 12:19 pm

But Christianity and Judaism aren't they close enough where it's okay? I've heard of marriages between them working out. Christianity does stem from Judaism so I always thought it was fine

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/07/13 12:33 pm

@AnnaRose - Anna, you're correct that Christianity stems from Judaism. Jesus was a Jew! But the one major difference is not a small one. We believe the Messiah has come & died & been raised from the dead. They're still waiting because they reject

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/07/13 12:39 pm

Jesus as the Messiah. Jesus said, "No one can come to the Father except by Me." In other words, you can't get to Heaven if you reject Him as Savior and Lord. So where's the compatibility? Each partner believes the other is going to Hell? Sorry for

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/07/13 12:45 pm

being so direct, I just want to give you a truthful answer. Christians and Jews can be the best of friends - my stand on the defense of Israel is more conservative than that of many Jews. But marriage has to be based on a shared faith to succeed.

DavesNotHere where am I
07/07/13 1:13 pm

Jews don't think Christians are going to hell. I've never been taught that not do I believe that for a nano second. Jews don't believe in Jesus divinity, but we don't knock other religions for their particular beliefs. No human should do that.

AnnaRose Texas
07/07/13 1:19 pm

It's okay. I really don't mind direct answers. I actually like your answers because they are so long and detailed and they actually explain things. And I'm not sure how other denominations are but some don't believe that all Jews are going to hell.

AnnaRose Texas
07/07/13 1:20 pm

Some believe that if they simply cannot believe all the same things or are not introduced to them but are still good people they could still go to heaven. But as I said, I don't know how all the other denominations are exactly.

DavesNotHere where am I
07/07/13 3:24 pm

Speed, that's why I don't fall for all the love between evangelicals & Israel. They think the majority of its citizens are hell bound. They just want Armageddon to come true in their lifetime. They're a supremacist group to me.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/07/13 3:29 pm

@speedbump - instead of "conventional wisdom," you might look into the book of Hebrews, which makes it clear that the purpose of the Old Testament laws was to prove that they weren't capable of attaining salvation by trying in vain to follow the

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/07/13 3:37 pm

law perfectly. Only Jesus did that. The only way anyone - Jew or Gentile - can get to Heaven is to accept the substitutionary death of Jesus as having paid the entire penalty for their sins. Any OT Patriarchs in Heaven will be there because

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/07/13 3:44 pm

when Jesus' body was in the tomb, He "preached to the spirits in prison," explaining the Gospel to those who died before He was crucified. This concept has been referred to as "the harrowing of Hell," if you want to wiki it.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/07/13 3:52 pm

@DIJitiL - I'm sorry that we've made you feel that way. I refer to people going to Hell not as a way to write them off, but to express my concern for them and my desire that they not continue on that road. Jesus Himself never presented only

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/07/13 3:57 pm

the "Good News" - he always began by showing the person how badly they were doing at following the law and what the consequences would be before inviting the person to follow Him and obtain eternal life. That's what we (i, speaking for myself) want

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/07/13 4:05 pm

want for Jews and Gentiles and Muslims alike - to join us in Heaven, not to be kept out of God's presence. We pray for the peace of Jerusalem because it is Israel's eternal capital which should remain undivided and not be taken from, or given

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/07/13 4:08 pm

away by, Israel. Not an inch of Israel's land should be traded for a false peace with the extremists who want to exterminate all Jews. I feel this deeply, and hope can come to a friendship and understanding.

DavesNotHere where am I
07/07/13 5:26 pm

Not to sound ungrateful, but being concerned for us because you think we're hell bound isn't such a nice thought. It doesn't make you look righteous in our eyes. It makes you look bigoted. The Talmud, the Jewish book of laws, has 613 commandments.

DavesNotHere where am I
07/07/13 5:29 pm

One of those commandments is to not read any bible other than the Hebrew bible. That's what it comes down to. What you believe. But I don't put anyone in hell if they worship differently.

jmw7477 Indiana
07/07/13 11:58 am

I'm Wiccan. My husband is atheist. We were both raised Christian (though neither of us believe that now). We've been together for 20 years (married for 17). So it can definitely work.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/07/13 11:35 am

Yes, absolutely. The only times where religion is even a factor is if it is put before love.

Very few things frustrate me more than when my lack of religion is referenced as making me less of a good person. I'm sorry I don't share your beliefs, but

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/07/13 11:37 am

I love the person that I am and I don't need your beliefs to make me into someone I'm not. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs... Any relationship between humans is going to have differences which come up, but it's up to the individuals involved

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/07/13 11:40 am

to decide whether or not the relationship is successful. If it's actually love, it doesn't matter whether she worships smurfs, I could care less... Love knows no bounds and sees no religion. Religious beliefs are nothing more than personal opinions.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/07/13 11:47 am

In case you couldn't tell, I'm an advocate for love - religion, many times, is the complete opposite. Many times, people think those who don't share their beliefs can't be dated because it conflicts with their beliefs. That's their loss, you'll miss

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/07/13 11:48 am

out on a great many relationships - romantic and otherwise with that mindset.

AnnaRose Texas
07/07/13 12:15 pm

Its sad when people are classified by their religion, if any, anyways. I do know plenty of non-religious people that are more comfortable walking into a church or performing community service then 'religious' people. But I'm glad you love who you are

AnnaRose Texas
07/07/13 12:16 pm

I hope no one tries to change who you are as a person.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/07/13 12:23 pm

They try to all the time, and that's when I get angry. I hate when people try to tell me their beliefs are right and mine are wrong... I mean, I could easily disprove their beliefs, but I respect them instead.

AnnaRose Texas
07/07/13 1:12 pm

I'm sorry that people do try to do that Kyle :( everyone had freewill and no one can tell others that what they do is better than others

HayleyS looking up.
07/07/13 11:30 am

I am a Christian and I dated an agnostic for a year and a half. In the end, it was our differing beliefs that caused our relationship to fail.

HayleyS looking up.
07/07/13 11:31 am

I also felt guilt about the whole thing because I knew it went against the Bible to date someone who wasn't a Christian. I didn't want to willingly and knowingly be a hypocrite.
He was a Christian at the beginning of our relationship.

AnnaRose Texas
07/07/13 12:07 pm

I'm sorry :( but I'm glad you did what you thought was right :)

HayleyS looking up.
07/07/13 2:55 pm

It's alright! That was a while ago now, and I learned a lot from it :)

rlands
07/07/13 11:21 am

It totally could. Just depends on your whole attitude about it.

longhorn1 Kindocologist Hater
07/07/13 11:21 am

Jew and a christian...yes

A Muslim and a Texan...no way.

mtbRIDER Gone riding...
07/07/13 11:24 am

^ That made me laugh...funny!