wego July 6th, 2013 7:33pm

Do you think that happiness is affected at all by genetics?

huskermedic Cincinnati
07/07/13 5:33 pm

I don't think there is a happy gene so if you don't have one you can't be happy. But I think genetics can play a role in how easy or not is to be happy.

peacenskis Alaska
07/07/13 1:42 pm

Certainly, clinical depression runs in families.

sarahgc58
07/07/13 11:45 pm

That was the point I came to the comments section to make :)

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
07/06/13 6:20 pm

Only in the sense that some psychological conditions that effect emotions are genetic

Mooo42Q Thats Nucking Futs
07/06/13 3:27 pm

No sht. If depression or bi polar disorder (just a few things) run in your blood, happiness isn't always on your side.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
07/06/13 2:33 pm

Elian That is so true I worked so hard reprogramming yet there's days that it's just tough.

07/06/13 2:44 pm

Takes long time to root out all the lies we've embraced directly/indirectly! They are so "natural" & insidious! My favorite sayings? EGBOK = Everything's Gonna Be OK, "It came to pass... it didn't come to stay." "Only thing feelings do well? Change!"

07/06/13 2:51 pm

No matter what you feel right now, you will feel differently very soon. Cuz feelings only know how to do one thing well: change. Got me through Complex PTSD trigger episodes knowing that! Couldn't change what I felt that moment instantly.

07/06/13 2:52 pm

Knowing it WOULD pass, kept me sane until I could ground myself & use tools to get to other side of trigger.

07/06/13 2:15 pm

"At all"? Not sure I'd go that far. But "learned helplessness"/negative thinking can both be reversed regardless of genetic predisposition. What we think primarily determines what we feel. Most of what we think we've been taught. Can be reprogrammed.

aurealis the sky
07/06/13 1:54 pm

Yes it has been proven that genetics can be a factor.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
07/06/13 12:48 pm

Today I'm struggling so hard with happiness and hating myself and the loath ing myself for all my shortcomings. I think I was taught to be like this with myself. It's like I do not deserve to be happy.

leary Dulag Luft
07/06/13 1:36 pm

Are you Catholic?

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
07/06/13 1:39 pm

I call myself a freelance Christian. I have a lot of Catholic relatives and I was saved in the Catholic Church.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
07/06/13 1:41 pm

My father was raised Catholic. He was verbally and physically abusive but he had a lot of good qualities also

leary Dulag Luft
07/06/13 1:47 pm

You seem to be suffering through a serious case of RC guilt.

07/06/13 2:27 pm

That is accurate assessment of cause. Books that CHANGED my life in this area? Feeling Good by Burns; Telling Yourself the Truth by Backus (a series actually, all outstanding!); See Yourself as God Sees You by Josh McDowell. Together = outstanding!!!

07/06/13 2:30 pm

You believe what you were told. Worse, you believe what you've told yourself. Hard to see what those are & when that is happening unless you learn what to look for. How you feel is first clue you are not telling yourself Truth.

07/06/13 2:32 pm

07/06/13 2:35 pm

Actual Josh McDowell book I read is now titled "Building Your Self-Image." Unsure difference between that & See Yourself as God Sees You, if any. I knew title had been changed; didn't know two of similar title/content.

07/06/13 2:56 pm

SoH therapy session? Track back to when feelings changed to negative. What happened? Heard something? Smelled something? Read something? Watched something on tv? Talked about something? Remembered something? *Something* triggered change.

07/06/13 2:58 pm

ID that "something," then find answer: what did I tell myself about that? The lie is in that answer when you find it. Problem is? Will you recognize that *as* a lie? Probably not or you would have already dismissed the lie. Books I noted will help.

leary Dulag Luft
07/06/13 2:59 pm

Is this gonna cost us? I'll never get it past my insurance.

07/06/13 6:01 pm

Nope! Pro bono! :-D

leary Dulag Luft
07/06/13 12:47 pm

A lot of bad health issues are genetic. They aren't harbingers of happiness.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
07/06/13 12:40 pm

I've never heard of a happy gene, but I guess there could be one. Since I meet happy and grumpy people of all shapes, sizes, both fit and with physical challenges, I'll guess being happy or not is just part of who you are, but I doubt it's genetic.

07/06/13 2:48 pm

Temperament has genetic component which predisposes one to be more pos/neg. But happiness is a choice & our thought & will can mitigate predisposition. Easier for some than others, but still w/in control of each w/proper info/support.

acavemand The Burgh
07/06/13 12:37 pm

I think depression may be which can affect happiness.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/06/13 12:36 pm

Depression has a genetic factor to it, so yes.