TreeHugs July 6th, 2013 5:01pm

Your 14 year old daughter is 4 weeks pregnant. Is abortion an option for her?

rocketqueen
07/07/13 6:12 am

I don't agree with abortion but I don't think it's right to take the choice away from people. Same goes for my daughter... Id make sure I'd talk with her and let her know I'd be there for her but if she didn't want to have the child it's not my

rocketqueen
07/07/13 6:13 am

Business to tell her she can and she can't. She would, however, not be keeping the child if she did decide to carry it. My mom was pregnant at 14 and my grandma raised me and I will not be doing the same

TreeHugs Oregon
07/06/13 7:12 pm

In 21 states parental consent is required for a minor to have an abortion and another 12 states require parental notification.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minors_and_abortion

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
07/06/13 10:20 pm

My only question is why isn't it 50 states that require parent notification? Any child making such a life decision should not be expected to make it w/out support, guidance, wisdom of parents. Unless case of incest. Abortion life-scar, not easy out.

kylievb317 California
07/06/13 4:42 pm

I don't care how old she is, I would not let her get an abortion.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
07/06/13 3:47 pm

Legally, yes, w/parental consent. Emotionally & for long term psychological well-being, from one having counseled far too many abortion survivors? No. But no one seems to care about that.

EarlyBird Portland
07/06/13 2:25 pm

Why would someone vote this question down? Because the thought is uncomfortable?

It's a good question.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
07/06/13 5:37 pm

I'm with you, Lol, "how dare you ask this

TreeHugs Oregon
07/06/13 7:13 pm

Thanks. I thought so too. :)

LoverOfDogs Earth
07/06/13 12:51 pm

Option without question. Shame for no education and birth control.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
07/06/13 11:00 am

Boo to the 15% that said bad question >:(

roundsquare round square
07/06/13 11:28 am

Good question. Some people are asses

TreeHugs Oregon
07/06/13 7:15 pm

I do wish there was feedback on why they thought it was a bad question. Anyone?

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
07/06/13 10:45 am

That's really not a yes or no question it's easy to say no not being there. It's something I would really need to discuss in depth with her and I think they should be informed how developed the baby is too. I think it should be the child's

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
07/06/13 10:46 am

Final choice. I do tend to lean for life. And it should be something they need to understand. What one woman told me. "You can take the baby out of your body but you cannot take the baby of your soul."

TreeHugs Oregon
07/06/13 7:19 pm

I know many parents that consider this a black and white issue and could easily answer. For many, or even most of us that have strong feelings on both sides of the issue, this question is very hard to answer! But I agree with you TopsQueen.

TreeHugs Oregon
07/06/13 7:22 pm

Ultimately I believe it is the child that must live with the results of the decision, so it would be her final choice once all of the options and information are laid out for her. But I would insist that she choose quickly!

roundsquare round square
07/06/13 10:37 am

Not only is it possible, it's probable.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/06/13 10:05 am

May I murder the person who is responsible for impregnating her? That'd most likely be my concern if that ever happened.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/06/13 11:00 am

I'm joking. I would never murder someone... I would be extremely infuriated, but it would speak to my own wrongdoing if she got pregnant under voluntary or as a result of consensual intercourse.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
07/06/13 3:50 pm

You know it *was* a 14 yr old boy? Not all underage sex is consensual or with peers. Plenty result of incest &/or force. Assumptions dangerous things.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/06/13 3:56 pm

I agree. I'm not assuming, I'm just saying I wouldn't actually murder anyone.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
07/06/13 3:59 pm

I got your humor :-) Natural way for good father/brother to *feel* whether or not they'd actually do it.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
07/06/13 5:37 pm

I'd be pissed too, and I know not all sex is consensual, but I'd wager to say, most is. I'd be pissed at the situation, and This other kid probably didn't intend on her getting pregnant, made a mistake, just like the girl did and is no more at fault

Keldeo Laverre City
07/06/13 10:03 am

Nope! She made a choice, now she'll pay the consequences.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/06/13 10:04 am

If she was raped?

Keldeo Laverre City
07/06/13 10:08 am

Tough one. Aren't alternatives available earlier on? Like a pill shortly after it happened?

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/06/13 10:11 am

Not after three weeks. At that point, it's either abortion, or ride the pregnancy out and either keep the child or put it up for adoption.

AnnaRose Texas
07/06/13 10:16 am

Those pills still act as an abortant anyways. It's still ridding the body of a life after conception.

susanr Colorado
07/06/13 10:22 am

Anna, if you are referring to the "morning after pill," it does not cause abortion. It delays or inhibits ovulation - conception has not occurred. If you are referring to Mifepristone (Plan B), it indeed is given after conception has occurred.

AnnaRose Texas
07/06/13 10:25 am

I am referring to the Plan B ones. But personally I couldn't even take a morning after pill.

susanr Colorado
07/06/13 10:59 am

If you were raped (that was the specific question), you would do nothing to stop your ovum from being released so the rapist's sperm could not fertilize it?

What if you could prevent pregnancy under those circumstances with a simple douche?

AnnaRose Texas
07/06/13 11:10 am

No, I wouldn't. I would go to the hospital, let them swab for proof or whatever they needed. But no morning after pill, even if it would prevent a rapist's semen from inseminating me. If a baby is born, it would still be mine and I'd still love it.

AnnaRose Texas
07/06/13 11:11 am

It wouldn't make what the man did any less wrong but I still couldn't prevent a life from being made.

dwoodcock
07/06/13 1:46 pm

Don't kid yourself, birth control or the morning after pill are both forms of abortion. They do not prevent sperm from fertilizing the egg; they do prevent implantation or jump start your uterus in sluffing.

dwoodcock
07/06/13 1:46 pm

Regardless it's the child's choice; as a parent I'd support her in any decision but make sure she is aware of all the issues she would face by keeping or aborting.

dwoodcock
07/06/13 1:47 pm

From friend teasing for being pregnant to the psychological impact an abortion could have on her later in life. Also let her know adoption is an option.

dwoodcock
07/06/13 1:50 pm

Depending on birth control, some do stop ovulation.

susanr Colorado
07/06/13 1:54 pm

As I stated above, the morning after pill does NOT cause abortion. It prevents ovulation, so no egg is released from the ovaries. Perhaps you're thinking of Plan B.

djkittie7 Texas
07/06/13 3:19 pm

In the case of rape...have you ever been raped? Experienced the trauma of it? At the age of 14? And then having to see your rapist's face every day in that kid? What if it was her father that got her pregnant and he'd been raping her for years?

AnnaRose Texas
07/06/13 3:25 pm

No but I still have friends that have been raped, even younger than that. I know how traumatized they are. But a child is a child regardless, I don't see how you can live with killing a child even if it causes you pain. There's always adoption too.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
07/06/13 3:57 pm

1) it wasn't stipulated it *was* her choice 2) long-term effects of abortion are as life-changing as rape 3) ultimate decision *must* w/kid cuz only she has to live w/consequences either way, but she needs *lots* of info probably won't get w/o bias

GrandmaALiCE
07/06/13 4:09 pm

Kelsey, I hope you aren't a parent. Whether it was tape (as some hypothesize) or her choice, she is your child and deserves your support.