susanr Colorado
07/06/13 10:13 am

What type of cloning are you referring to here? In horticulture, cloning (generally) refers to the production of new plants by vegetative reproduction - taking a cutting of a plant & allowing it to grow roots is a familiar example.

susanr Colorado
07/06/13 10:14 am

Or are you referring to genetic manipulation of plants?

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
07/06/13 1:43 pm

Ooo, good question, this all stemmed from a debate with the whole intellectual property rights of processes involved with a whole slew of ideas and sort of branched off of that. I was then posed with the question if cloning, and off it went.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
07/06/13 1:45 pm

For this, I'll just stick with cloning, and ask specifically genetic modification later, as it won't help in my debate now. Thank you for your input, you always keep me thinking

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/06/13 9:41 am

I believe it's a good thing to an extent, but the issue isn't so much a shortage of food as the lack of even distribution and waste.

susanr Colorado
07/06/13 10:15 am

Cloning of plants, in general, is a non-genetic-manipulation method for producing more of the same plant. It's often faster & easier than growing from seed. It's been done for centuries.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/06/13 10:18 am

I have no problem with it at all, I'm just saying that the distribution of the food is the problem in world-hunger. Not-so-much the production of it. I'm not going to be hypocritical and say that I don't waste a great amount.

susanr Colorado
07/06/13 10:27 am

I'm just puzzled at why you're referring to scarcity or not of food, at all. It's just a matter of how plants are often started, in home horticulture & in agriculture. It wouldn't make any sense to clone wheat, for example, because it is easily...

susanr Colorado
07/06/13 10:29 am

...grown from seed. But taking a cutting of a grape vine, or grafting an apple branch to a root, are faster than growing either from seed. The purpose of cloning plants isn't to produce massive numbers of plants, as far as I know.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/06/13 10:31 am

I believe it had to do with your comment above. Our comments are reliant upon our interpretation of the question. If it's genetic mutations instead of simply the process which you are referring to, I still have little issue with it, but it's less

susanr Colorado
07/06/13 10:43 am

If you're referring to genetic modification of food, that's an entirely different animal. "Cloning" in a different sense (different than horticultural cloning, & different in technique than human or animal cloning).

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/06/13 10:45 am

Alright, well I believe I interpreted it as cloning, but with modification involved. I'm unsure why, but that was what first came to mind. Regardless, I hold little issue with either.

susanr Colorado
07/06/13 10:45 am

They're all related, but are somewhat different in technique, and more importantly, in their consequences.

The subject then becomes the genetic modification, or engineering. "Cloning" is really not the issue of concern.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/06/13 10:50 am

Thank you, as usual for your input and perspective, Susan. I appreciate it fully. :)