r3VOLution July 6th, 2013 4:04pm

Should you have the right to shoot to kill a person that has entered your home without permission?

07/07/13 12:19 am

The most likely time my military police training would come in handy. Definitely some shock and awe. I'd attempt to apprehend but only once. "DOWN ON THE GROUND WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR", any movement to the contrary will be met with deadly force.

07/07/13 12:32 am

Sounds like a fetish with death. I wouldn't try that while you're in NoVa. Wouldn't find much sympathy up there.

07/07/13 1:01 am

Fetish of staying alive. I pray I never have to use my weapons but am prepared to if need be.

I will be carrying in VA while there. *gasp*

07/07/13 1:09 am

I wouldn't carry into DC. That'd be an even worse idea. Not many open carriers in NoVa. I love NoVa, have I said that? I would move up there if I could afford it. Those people can protect their homes because they're so expensive. As long as they...

07/07/13 1:34 am

I follow laws and I won't even respond to your second bit

07/07/13 1:39 am

You follow laws? That's not what I gather. I guess you just advocate for the removal of them? What happened to the open carry rally you wanted?

It's okay, personable isn't what I expected. Still. Expensive. Nothing but rich liberals up there.

07/07/13 2:39 am

Haha, I do plan on seeing the sights. Not sure about that rally, I obviously wasn't in attendance. I think the not laws that have any business existing are those that protect individuals from aggression.

kaysee712
07/06/13 10:37 pm

Well I would definitely warn the person first and I wouldn't shoot a kid. I'd also probably shoot their foot or leg first but if they were dangerous damn right I'd kill them.

07/07/13 12:15 am

Good luck with that shot under those conditions

OldLady
07/07/13 4:41 am

Yeah, TV makes it look so easy,
Ok, now stand there real still let ask you a few questions are you in my home with that knife to hurt me? How old are you? Would you leave If I yelled for you to? No.. Ok I'm gonna shoot you in the hand or foot now..

dudley northern Virginia woods
07/06/13 5:46 pm

Circumstances. If the ones for whom one is responsible have their lives being threatened then yeah.

OldLady
07/06/13 5:29 pm

I do have the right to defend my home but I have to be in fear of my life or the life of my loved ones. It's just not a simple thing. But would I shoot to kill in fear of our life's? in a heartbeat....

07/07/13 12:16 am

Someone in my home in the middle of the night is my standard for that criteria. If you made it past locked doors and windows, all of which are checked before I retire for the evening, that demonstrates intent. Best be right wit yer Jesus boy

07/07/13 12:33 am

You sound like an evil man. I'm sorry, but you're joking about killing someone that breaks into a home. I'm sorry, but when did death become mandatory for a misdemeanor?

07/07/13 1:37 am

Burglary is a felony. It's not a joke. I take that responsibility seriously. I'm a trained, currently serving master at arms in the navy reserves. I know a thing or two about law and use of force.

www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.582

07/07/13 1:44 am

I don't doubt that you do. I did not know burglary was a felony. It shouldn't be. However, the law is not for you to carry out. Burglary still doesn't carry the sentence of death (unless of course immediate danger to your life is presented).

07/07/13 2:38 am

And as a homeowner I can make the determination of whether or not my life is in danger. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to be bound by restrictions that could make it impossible to adequately defend my family.

07/07/13 2:47 am

Immediate danger is a restriction? Sounds pretty straightforward.

07/07/13 4:59 am

And someone in my home unannounced at 0300 has no other reason to be doing so, ergo, I presume danger.

You can play 20 question and patty cake, its your funeral.

07/06/13 3:23 pm

Shoot two by their feet. Or announce warning shots and carry out. There was a guy that just straight up shot someone on his home, and it was just a kid. He should have been arrested for reckless manslaughter or whatever.

07/06/13 3:24 pm

Arrested and charged with*

condor413 Texas
07/06/13 3:54 pm

Everyone has a right to their opinion, but it's easy to second-guess what someone should have done under duress.

If some "kid" breaks in, then I'm always going to choose to protect my family. I won't enjoy it, but it'll be better than -

condor413 Texas
07/06/13 3:56 pm

wondering what I should have done if the "kid" hurts/rapes/kills a family member.

If you break in someone else's house, 100% of the blame rests on you, not the homeowner. Period.

07/06/13 4:28 pm

Not at all. That is your property, but laws still apply. You may only cause enough harm that allows you the ability to flee. Killing someone is overkill for lack of a better definition. You should be charged with manslaughter if you kill someone.

condor413 Texas
07/06/13 6:04 pm

Texas clearly has different (better) laws.

I wouldn't enjoy killing anyone, but I'll do whatever necessary to protect my family. If you break in, I will shoot you and I won't be aiming at your feet. Fleeing will be the last thing on my mind.

07/07/13 12:17 am

Beach, warning shots are not authorized.

07/07/13 12:17 am

Beach, you'd actually vote to convict someone who killed an intruder? That's stunning, thank god the law is not on your side.

Castle. Doctrine.

07/07/13 12:23 am

@condor, why do you think everyone breaking in is attempting to hurt your family. A man tried to break in here. I was awake. He said "oh, um, I thought I lived here." I didn't need to kill the man. I should have been in prison if I did.

07/07/13 12:30 am

@rebel, If they were wrong under the law, of course. They must be under immediate danger to use deadly force in Virginia. Which means their LIFE muse be threatened, not property (can't kill someone just for breaking in). You must notice that...

07/07/13 12:31 am

...person has a gun. If you goad them, then you lose that right to deadly force and must flee. If your life is not threatened, deadly force is not justifiable. Castle doctrines died in Virginia last year, rebel.

07/07/13 1:00 am

Sorry to hear that, castle doctrine is the only moral law. I won't hesitate to kill anyone in my home. If you think that you plus 50% of my neighbors can tell me I can't defend myself then please try to enter my home uninvited at 3 am.

07/07/13 1:07 am

@rebel, apparently the gun lobby lobbied against it, so it must be better than what we have. It looked like it changed "immediate danger" to "over act" as the requirement for deadly force. Guess that was less broad, therefore less good.

MannIsMe Did You Assume My Party
07/06/13 11:26 am

Drill, baby, drill......Kill, baby, kill.
Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting twice and I hope he has a friend.

leary Dulag Luft
07/06/13 11:51 am

SAS says three times. Two to the chest, one to the head, leaves them dead.

MannIsMe Did You Assume My Party
07/06/13 12:08 pm

Alrighty then, even better.

07/06/13 11:06 am

Not a question of "should" I do

condor413 Texas
07/06/13 10:28 am

Assuming it's a robber, intruder, psycho, etc then there's nothing to debate:

Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried out by 6.

EsperanzaGomez TakeOldAmericaBack
07/06/13 10:12 am

You have to give them a warning such as ... If you don't leave I am going to shoot you and as long as they hear that and don't leave , your clear .

EagleOK Oklahoma
07/06/13 10:18 am

Maybe in California. Here you don't have to warn.

07/06/13 11:07 am

Hahaha no fückin way, no you don't.

07/06/13 1:24 pm

Haha maybe in the liberal cess pool that is CA. In most reasonable states the castle doctrine is law.

Warning...what a joke. The locked door is your warning.

07/06/13 1:27 pm

Not sure where you got your info but its incorrect.

law.onecle.com/california/penal/198.5.html

EagleOK Oklahoma
07/06/13 1:58 pm

Besides, that law would be unenforceable, even if it was the law. "Yes officer, I warned him but he didnt leave" is all you would have to say.

07/07/13 2:45 am

I love when people quote things they don't understand

2katz I live in Nebraska
07/06/13 10:09 am

Yes if they are threatening you. Not just if it's some drunk that got the wrong house.

07/06/13 11:07 am

How do you tell at 3 am in the dark when you're half awake?

Zack100 Tatooine
07/06/13 11:11 am

Idk about you, but whenever I am woken up abruptly, I become much quicker and more alert than usual.

medicjones
07/06/13 9:50 am

1. My house is locked at all times.
2. My dog hates strangers

If you make it past the first two deterrents you have obvious harmful intent and will be dealt with accordingly. I will not retreat. I will not ask you to go away.

Nukimo NC Dreaming of Far Away
07/06/13 11:59 am

Do you have kids or a spouse or relatives w/keys? They could make it past the First two deterrents. I say this only because it's happened several times before. Family member killing another when startled, scared & didn't know the other was out @3am.

medicjones
07/06/13 12:11 pm

No other keys. The kid is still a newborn and the dog barks first and asks questions later. All my family and friends know not to enter uninvited as they are also gun owners.

Nukimo NC Dreaming of Far Away
07/06/13 12:25 pm

I glad you're aware & your friends/family know the score. I just wanted to mention that sadly, others aren't. Fairly recently, a father shot & killed his daughter who came home from college to surprise mom. A family destroyed by pride & fear.

Keldeo Laverre City
07/06/13 9:40 am

Unfortunately we can not have "only if you believe you are in danger" laws. Those lead to incidents like Zimmerman. Laws can't be subjective to intent.

leary Dulag Luft
07/06/13 10:02 am

If I'm keeping an eye on someone wandering around my neighbor and they elude me to stage an ambush, sit on my chest doing MMA and beating my head on the sidewalk I think I could determine they were trying to harm me.

07/06/13 11:08 am

Sounds like someone already came to a determination without hearing the facts.

leary Dulag Luft
07/06/13 11:24 am

Could just as easily be me. Zimmerman is the only one who truly knows the facts.

Keldeo Laverre City
07/06/13 11:32 am

I wasn't specifically referring to that case either. Just pointing out the fact that anyone can claim that they were being threatened.

07/06/13 11:46 am

In my home, I don't really care what standard you think I should have, I'll tell the cops whatever they need to hear. Your meddling with my rights stops at my threshold.

leary Dulag Luft
07/06/13 11:50 am

Reb, the only thing you should ever tell the cops, is: "I wish to speak to my lawyer".

07/06/13 11:58 am

"Am I being detained?"
"Am I free to go?"
"I don't answer questions."
"This encounter is being recorded."
"For your safety and mine I am informing you that I am in possession of a pistol."

The only sentences I ever say to cops.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
07/06/13 4:08 pm

All Zimmerman had to do was 1) comply w/instructions from 911, & 2) follow proper Neighborhood Watch protocols. For whatever reason, whatever else may/may not be true, he did neither. If he had, he wouldn't be sitting in courthouse. Too bad, too sad.

dreamitliveit IDLH
07/07/13 12:28 pm

Elianastar, that last comment just got you another follower :)

Keldeo Laverre City
07/06/13 9:39 am

Ideally shoot to disable.

leary Dulag Luft
07/06/13 10:03 am

You'll have a really hard time getting your gun out of your ass.

leary Dulag Luft
07/06/13 10:14 am

That's where the guy you "wounded" left it.

Keldeo Laverre City
07/06/13 10:28 am

I'm pretty sure he couldn't walk after I was done with his leg.

07/06/13 11:09 am

Apparently keldeo has impeccable aim, in the dark, half asleep, with moderate training, and is able to hit such a small target.

Chuck Norris? Is that you?

Zack100 Tatooine
07/06/13 9:19 am

Only if your life is in danger. We dont need people killing randomly. Let the person at least explain why they are in your house. If you dont like why, ask or force them to leave, but by no means shoot them for no reason.

leary Dulag Luft
07/06/13 10:08 am

Who is talking about killing "randomly". It is the responsibility of the defender to ID the trespasser and make damn sure deadly force is necessary.

07/06/13 11:10 am

Hahahaha Zach, so naïve. No, I'm not gonna stop and play patty cake with someone who made it past locked doors and windows.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
07/06/13 4:14 pm

If someone has entered my home, uninvited, locked doors, best have warrant & badge in hand or will need Obamacare, if lucky. I don't *care* why you violated my personal security & space. If you want to visit, call 1st!

commonsense America isnt racist
07/06/13 9:13 am

Yes. If you do not know them, you have every right to defend your family and home. This shouldn't even be a question.
It's common sense.

EarlyBird Portland
07/06/13 9:17 am

I see what you did there :-D

r3VOLution not of this world
07/06/13 11:17 pm

Common sense is not common practice.

Liberatheist Mustafar
07/06/13 9:12 am

Only if there is no other means of escape. If the intruder was causing you harm and had you cornered.

07/06/13 11:11 am

I have to escape my own home? No wonder this country is circling the drain.

Kay41 the Midwest
07/06/13 9:09 am

Only if they are there to cause you harm. If your daughter's boyfriend doesn't have your permission to enter because you don't like him but he sneaks in anyway, I don't think you have the right to shoot.

Mooo42Q Thats Nucking Futs
07/06/13 9:16 am

Thats where it gets a little fuzzy. You'de have to have reason ti think you're in danger.

07/06/13 11:11 am

You're gonna card the person at 3 am? No.

r3VOLution not of this world
07/06/13 9:05 am

I.e. burglar, intruder, ex-lover, etc.

07/07/13 2:46 am

EB, tell that to j lo in enough