MrsOH July 6th, 2013 8:14am

A long-time friend writes a book. You expect it to be very good. However, it's not doing very well, although it may later. Are you more likely to expect the friend to give you a free (signed) copy, or buy several copies to help (and give them away)?

MrsOH Washington state
07/06/13 12:39 pm

If you are the kind of person who has been supporting the author all along, maybe being a sounding board as he/she needs to discuss plot points, you might expect a free copy as a kind of beta reader ("tell me if I should change anything").

YouWantMeToPay ... for THIS
07/06/13 7:44 am

I'd buy one. Not a bunch.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
07/06/13 1:18 am

If you turn the scenario around, if I wrote a book I'd find it insulting if someone bought several copies because they thought the book would become an abject failure without their pithy support.

CarrieMarie Mad Science Crew
07/06/13 8:50 am

It states you expect it to be good, it's just not performing well. I would buy several and give to people I think might enjoy the book and talk with others. Maybe with my support the book would get over the hump and begin performing to expectation.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
07/06/13 9:11 am

That is _so_ not how I read the question last night. I guess it would depend on the topic of the book. I don't usually give books as much as I fill needs. I'd buy several copies if I thought it could fill several people's needs.

MrsOH Washington state
07/06/13 12:33 pm

It used to be that the big publishers would take care of marketing for an author, with the understanding that the author would show up for interviews and book signings. With print-on-demand, more authors are going with small publishing houses...

MrsOH Washington state
07/06/13 12:35 pm

...or indie publishing, which is respectable now (like indie films or indie music). But it depends on word-of-mouth for people to hear about it.